BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Anterior vs. Posterior THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by chakazullo, May 9, 2019.

1. chakazullo

chakazullo new member

United States United States
    I have already had left hip total replacement, about 1 year ago, and I am 47 years old. My right hip is now gone, and I need THR for the right side. I did not like the care I received from my last surgeon post-op, so I am switching to another surgeon, who advised that he is using the anterior method, and it will be minimally invasive. He expressed confidence that at my age, I will do quite well with the anterior approach, and he expects me to be driving in about 10-14 days and 90% recovered in a month. I'm a little cautious, because this seems overly optimistic to me. I was driving in 5 days after my left total hip, but I think right is much different than left side. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

I had anterior on April 3 and have had a very easy and uneventful recovery. Before I left the hospital, my OS told me I could drive as soon as I was no longer taking pain medication, which was about 14 days. I expect to have my left hip replaced late 2019/early 2020. Same surgeon, same approach. I am only 20 years older than you so.....

Take a look at my thread. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk

• Like Like x 1
  3. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

An addendum: keep in mind that I suffered for almost 15 years with my failing hip. It puts my recovery into a totally different perspective and my great respect for my surgeon and the approach he used. :) :-) (:

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan junior member

I am so glad you asked this question. My surgeon does both, and has asked me to express my preference. I will be following this thread to see what the experienced hippies around here think about this...

5. J-nice

J-nice junior member

My left hip was anterior and had no problems recovery. Within six weeks I was back teaching. My right hip is begging me to be upgraded. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to see when he is available. He specializes in anterior.

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and welcome to the forum!:wave:
    Many members have done equally well with both approaches.
    I had bilateral via anterior approach as that is the approach my surgeon was trained for.
    As far as driving in 2 weeks, it is possible but not advisable probably. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. I made some short trips at 3 weeks, but in little traffic and I was rather nervous. Wouldn't want to have to slam on the brakes in case of an emergency!
    As far as being at 90% recovered in one month...I think this is definitely hype.
    I wanted mine to have the time they needed to heal properly and felt that this was an investment in what I hope are my forever hips.

• Like Like x 1
  7. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Recovered and feeling optimal are sometimes different things. My hip felt great within a short time but the rest of me was very tired and needed nap times and small excursions. See how you and the hip feel and do not overdo but give your hip and your body/mind time to recover.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I always like the "minimally invasive" line!! You're already a veteran of THR so you understand no matter where they go through they are still performing the same trauma to your hip. 90% recovered in a month!, sign me up.

I'll add that driving with my left was no problem at 2 weeks but I don't know of I could do it that quickly if it was my right. I would want to KNOW I could react quickly enough wth the operated leg.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  9. wayner1

wayner1 junior member

Canada Canada
    Agree with @leejaa - I was anterior 4 weeks ago, walking on crutches by Day 4 and unaided within 2 weeks. So the leg/hip are working but I’m just finally getting a decent nights sleep, reduced naps finally and planning on returning to work p/t next week. Your body needs more time to recover than just the hip!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dapplega

dapplega member

I had what my OS called a micro-posterior approach. He also called it minimally invasive. My scar is only 3" long and barely visible after 1.5 years. My recovery was quick in terms of walking unaided within 2 weeks (I mostly ended up just carrying a cane). In the hands of an experienced surgeon I'm not sure if approach makes a difference...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately all the hype about anterior approach is just that - marketing hype. The time it takes you to recovery is not based on the approach. It's all about how you react to the surgery.
    It's cutting and carpentry no matter what approach. There is nothing minimally invasive about THR.
    The driving part is a bit aggressive. If you are off all pain meds and able to perform an emergency stop then yes, you might be driving that soon. The 90% recovered in a month is totally unrealistic. Surgeons do not do their patients and favours by setting these unrealistic expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Opera

Opera new member

Canada Canada
    I’m 8 weeks post anterior THR following an accident & recovery very similar to yours in that PT had me using a walker for about a week then a cane for a couple weeks. At my 6 week check up surgeon said normally I’d be seen at the 12 week mark but he was pleased with my progress so we are skipping 3 month check & he will see me in September. I’m a nurse & went back part time at 4 weeks & full time at 6 weeks.

13. Chappyd

Chappyd member

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago today. Posterior approach. I used the walker for 4 days, and by 8 days was getting around with no cane. Started driving small trips at about 2.5 weeks. I'll still be out of work at least 2 more weeks. My thigh took a beating in this experience, and is still sore and stiff. It's getting better all the time, but it will take some time to get back to 100 percent. I'm pleased with the progress so far, and if I have to do the left, I'll go back to this OS.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 321Evie

321Evie junior member

Australia Australia
    My nice, new surgeon does the anterior approach. Says he doesn't cut so much muscle. His nurse said I won't be needing any walking aids which is the first I have ever heard of this!? She recommended driving around 3 weeks.

My angry ex surgeon was trained in both posterior and anterior, but chooses posterior now. He said the pain and recovery can be longer, but the outcome the same