Anterior vs Posterior Hip Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had anterior for both with 5" scars and so far it has worked out well. In hindsight, if the surgeon is experienced and excellent, I wouldn't be too bothered about the approach but I was very interested in the approach pre op.

The superpath method, practiced by a few surgeons, looks interesting as does the horizontal bikini line incision that is sometimes done with the anterior.

I'm not thrilled about the Hana surgical table -frequently used for anterior- in my case. I had severe end stage hip OA, femur heads wedged in the sockets with major quad muscle contraction in both legs, very painful and stiff. Being strapped into the boots and having my legs forcibly dislocated, moved around and stretched out during surgery caused most of my pain during the following weeks/mos afterwards, though the table aids the surgeon. Have wondered whether this pain was a secondary injury from the table, it took ages to recover. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
@JennsHip That's the one: Dr. Williams at Jurivinski. Great surgeon and great experience from start to finish.

Thank you both of you for your responses. My surgeon only does posterior. I have decided that will be the best for me. What help me to decide this was the clearer visualization for the surgeon. In most of the research it seems the key is an experience surgeon.

Steady recovery to you Sam.

Hi there!
I am new to this forum and find it very, very helpful. I'm in the shock stage right now, just wrapping my head around needing a left THR. How did this happen??? I'm young and active!
I also saw a surgeon at HSS (Dr. Pellicci) and he uses the posterior approach. He has done 11,000+ hip replacements and finds that the posterior approach is best for most patients. I will trust is judgement regarding that! :) I will also trust his judgement regarding the hardware he chooses, knowing I lead an active life (not right now though, as I can't do anything but what I need to do to get through the day!). I don't confuse trusting judgement with asking questions. I ask a lot of questions.
It's important to have faith in your surgeon. Choose wisely - someone who has years of experience and can tell you that you will be walking the same day of the surgery and home within 48 hours. WOW! Incredible how far this procedure has come.
I'll keep reading as my head is wrapping around the reality of THR. This forum is a great find!

Hi Ms Moffett
What time of surgery anterior or posterior?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Emma ask away! I'm 3 weeks out and it's been an extremely smooth experience, you're in for a fantastic surprisingly good recovery I'm sure of it, just follow the amazing experts on this forum and you'll realise how much your life will be changed for the better. My other half mentioned that I'm more sprightly now even on crutches than I've been for years with my arthritis ridden hip [emoji4] you've so much to look forward to X

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Kylekk, did you have posterior surgery?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee