THR Anterior Outpatient THR

Raftin21

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts and going thru the advice and recommended readings, it's been so helpful on this journey to THR... Now I have officially joined!

I am 44 and need both hips replaced. I have found an amazing doctor and the plan is to do anterior THR outpatient surgery with a staged approach for the second. I am really excited that I qualify for this option. I was wondering if others have done this procedure? How was their recovery? Any recommendations?

I am looking at late Jan or early Feb for the first replacement. I have never had a surgery and to say the least I am nervous! Just looking for insights and information.

Thanks so much!

@Raftin21 Welcome to BoneSmart!

Outpatient THR is becoming more and more popular. Reducing time in hospital means you are less exposed to "nasties" and you can recover in the comfort of your own home.

Please don't be fooled by the hype around this approach however. Anterior outpatient THR is the same recovery as any other THR. There is no way to speed up recovery. The operation is the same and you will need to allow time for your hips to heal.

Your main priority before you leave the hospital will be to get your pain management cocktail just right. Work with staff to do this so that you will be comfortable at home.

I look forward to following your journey!

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

How soon after your first will they do your second? I am scheduled for the first on Jan. 19th and the second on March 2nd, which is six weeks later.

Welcome to BoneSmart @Raftin21. I've had all three of my joint replacements as outpatient surgery. I would much rather be home in my own bed or recliner as opposed to staying in the hospital with all the nasty bugs and they constantly interrupt your sleep all night. Sleep is hard enough to come by in recovery. Looking forward to following your journey, you will find tons of experience here, ask a question and chances are someone has been through it.

How soon after your first will they do your second? I am scheduled for the first on Jan. 19th and the second on March 2nd, which is six weeks later.

Hi, my Dr. said I could do the second any time between 6-8 weeks. I am thinking I may be closer to 10 weeks/early May. Best of luck to you with both of yours. I’ll look forward to hearing how they go.

@Raftin21 Welcome to BoneSmart!

Outpatient THR is becoming more and more popular. Reducing time in hospital means you are less exposed to "nasties" and you can recover in the comfort of your own home.

Please don't be fooled by the hype around this approach however. Anterior outpatient THR is the same recovery as any other THR. There is no way to speed up recovery. The operation is the same and you will need to allow time for your hips to heal.

Your main priority before you leave the hospital will be to get your pain management cocktail just right. Work with staff to do this so that you will be comfortable at home.

I look forward to following your journey!
Thanks for the info!

Another question... I need both hips replaced, my first one is going to be on Feb 1st. After talking with my doctor, I decided not to go the bi-lateral route, but to stage them.

For people who have done staged THR, how soon did you get your second hip replaced? My doctor said usually waiting till at least 6-8 weeks, but I would like to hear other peoples journey in this process!

Thanks so much!

I haven't had 2 hips done but from what I've seen on the forum around 3 months seems to be the average to me, with some earlier and some later. I personally would wait more than 8 weeks unless the pain was too bad in the second hip, just to let that first hip heal a little more before taking over for both during your second recovery @Raftin21.

@Raftin21 I have hip dysplasia so needed both hip replaced. My doctor advised me to stage them - he only does bilateral if there is no other option. My left was not in as much pain as the right so I am OK to wait a while. For me I waited for 5.5 months.

I would agree with @FCBayern on it - Give operative side at least 3 months to heal before doing the 2nd one. Not only because you need the other side to be strong enough to support your daily activities, your body will also have an easier task to restructure your hip - it is a major construction!
Mentally, you will also feel more at ease knowing that healing is a process: It will take time but it will get better eventually. (I don't think I had the confidence by 6-8 weeks.)

Best of luck to your upcoming surgery.

BTW - I did anterior approach for both. My doctor didn't prescribe any precaution other than "listen to your body. If it doesn't feel comfortable, don't do it yet". From the research I did, the danger of dislocation is lower in anterior however don't expect "speedy recovery" like those folk tale I believe we both heard.

You are in a much better spot since you found this wonderful forum before your first surgery! :SUNsmile: I recalled I was mentally confused and frustrated, and was in a lot of pain and discomfort physically for several weeks before I found this forum. After I found this forum, I started to follow the advices on PT, recovery, Ice/elevate, etc, and the recovery process started to "make sense".

Preparation-wise, other than info you already received above: good nutrition and pre-op exercises, I think it is good to research and establish an "ice strategy". Wonderful forum article here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-cryotherapy-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
I have 4 large gel packs and my surgery program provides this ice pack cover with velcro to keep it in place. Just FYI.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 227
@Raftin21 Hello. I had my left done May 14 2019 and then my right June 10 2019 I was concerned about my job so he agreed to do them close, If I could do it all over again I would wait I winded up with several infections after right was done, then it has never been right I just had to have a revision on right side year and half later, suffering from a fracture on femur when he was removing the stem all of my hardware had to be replaced my surgery was Jan 7th and I still had to take another 3 months off or maybe longer....good luck to you and your intuition will let you know... I was hesitant after left I wish I would have listened to myself and waited

BTW - I did anterior approach for both. My doctor didn't prescribe any precaution other than "listen to your body. If it doesn't feel comfortable, don't do it yet". From the research I did, the danger of dislocation is lower in anterior however don't expect "speedy recovery" like those folk tale I believe we both heard.

You are in a much better spot since you found this wonderful forum before your first surgery! :SUNsmile: I recalled I was mentally confused and frustrated, and was in a lot of pain and discomfort physically for several weeks before I found this forum. After I found this forum, I started to follow the advices on PT, recovery, Ice/elevate, etc, and the recovery process started to "make sense".

Preparation-wise, other than info you already received above: good nutrition and pre-op exercises, I think it is good to research and establish an "ice strategy". Wonderful forum article here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-cryotherapy-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
I have 4 large gel packs and my surgery program provides this ice pack cover with velcro to keep it in place. Just FYI.

Hope it helps.
Great thank you so much for the information and helpful advice!

@Raftin21 Hello. I had my left done May 14 2019 and then my right June 10 2019 I was concerned about my job so he agreed to do them close, If I could do it all over again I would wait I winded up with several infections after right was done, then it has never been right I just had to have a revision on right side year and half later, suffering from a fracture on femur when he was removing the stem all of my hardware had to be replaced my surgery was Jan 7th and I still had to take another 3 months off or maybe longer....good luck to you and your intuition will let you know... I was hesitant after left I wish I would have listened to myself and waited
Thank you for sharing your journey! Good advice on listening to where you are at.

I haven't had 2 hips done but from what I've seen on the forum around 3 months seems to be the average to me, with some earlier and some later. I personally would wait more than 8 weeks unless the pain was too bad in the second hip, just to let that first hip heal a little more before taking over for both during your second recovery @Raftin21.
Thank you for the information and helpful advice. It’s always hard with the unknowns, but trying to plan! Also, thank you for well wishes for my surgery, much appreciated!

Hi @Raftin21
Just thinking of you and hoping you are keeping pre-op nerves in check and getting excited about the opportunity to rid yourself of hip pain.:egypdance:

Hi @Raftin21 ,
It sounds like you’ve already received lots of good advice and tips. I’m sure you’ll do just fine. It will be SO VERY good to get rid of the pain. I wish you all the best. Keep us posted on the recovery side so we can continue to add our two cents and offer support.

Hello @Raftin21
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you all the best on Monday.
Also wishing you comfort and peace of mind over the weekend. I will look forward to following your recovery journey on the healing side. See you there soon! :wave:

Thank you all so much! I am nervous, but excited to get rid of pain. So appreciate the thoughts and well wishes. :thankyou:

You can see my THR dates, OS was willing to do the 2nd at 3 mos. I didn't want it done that quick so I waited until I was ready.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom