• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Anterior Hip Replacement - any negative experiences?

Joeml430

Country
United States United States
Hello - I probably need to re-post this in the post-op forum but I will start here since I am pre-op for initial feedback. Perhaps the moderators can make a recommendation?

I've been researching posterior -vs- anterior replacement. I am favoring the anterior procedure -based primarily on patient testimonials listed under the various OS' that I have been researching.

I have gone through the pros / cons of posterior -vs- anterior and found it ultimately ends with 'do whatever technique your OS is most familiar with'. I am currently interviewing OS' and have not selected an OS yet. Realizing the success of any procedure is mainly related to the skill of the individual OS, it is still a reasonable question to ask the bonesmart members whether they have had a negative experience with the anterior procedure and if they had to do it all over again would select either the posterior or lateral approach instead? I've been reading almost all positive reviews on the anterior approach but realize the OS websites may selectively post favorable reviews!

Of course the most valuable insight would be from those who have had bilateral THR - one done with posterior and the other anterior. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and first-hand experience!

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Joeml430 You are posting in the correct area. This is a pre-op question.

As you are seeing there is a lot of marketing hype around anterior approach. Bottom line - no approach will shorten or make recovery any easier. It's all about the skill of your surgeon and how you react to surgery.

Pick your surgeon based on your comfort level working with that surgeon. Don't worry about approach or what implant they use. They will use what they have the most experience using given your own medical situation and lifestyle.

I had posterior with my LTHR. Six weeks of restrictions but nothing horrid. With my RTHR I had lateral with no restrictions - magic. But that surgeon performs over 200+ THR per year. The difference is surgeon skill.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Joeml430
I agree with, Jaycey, surgeon skill and nothing else. I experienced posterior with zero restrictions and had a very good recovery. I have no comparison between the two approaches experiencing only one THR, but my mom experienced posterior with her first THR and anterior with her second and didn't feel there was any difference in her recoveries. Same surgeon both times who performs a large number of hip replacements annually. She trusted his skill.

Wishing you all the best as you move forward!

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have no comparison either but have done exceptional well with my new hips!
I didn't research surgical approaches nor surgeons either...was my GPs referral that brought me to my hip hero.
He teaches anterior approach and lectures on it.
I will echo that the skill of the surgeon is what I believe was the key to my sucessful hip replacements.
Obviously I'm a fan due to my experience :egypdance:

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I had anterior with no restrictions and was happy with results. I went with OS suggestion as I wanted what he was most comfortable with based on his experience. I agree with the others that the experience of the surgeon is most important. Mine did around 500 hips/knees a year. I found him through GP recommendation.

Mutwa

Country
The two OAs I interviewed both do 75% posterior. He imposes movement restrictions, but is laid back about it, especially on the 90 degree hip flexion restriction. He says that there is no difference in recovery at the two week point.

Last edited by a moderator:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello! Welcome to Bonesmart. I was introduced to a very talented surgeon who only does anterior approach. I have had both hips replaced by him. I haven't had any issues with either hip. I might have been able to say the same thing with a different approach, but was very appealing to me to not have the restrictions.
What was key for me was the confidence I felt when I met this surgeon.

Good luck with your decision. :flwrysmile:

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
There is a third option; anterolateral which also comes with no restrictions. The practice I went with uses it exclusively I believe. I had no issues and was actually in the store the day of hospital discharge and shopping with out the mobility cart the following week.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kurt_H
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags