Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Anterior approach?

heathersmom

Country
United States United States
Long story short, I was scheduled for a total hip replacement last June. Unfortunately, due to some pre-op complications, I suffered a stroke and couldn't have the surgery. I'm doing fine, just needing to get this hip fixed. A friend mentioned the anterior approach. I know that recovery time is supposed to be easier, maybe, but I'm curious about the actual surgery itself. My PCP is concerned about my being off the aspirin. My neurologist said I need to decide whether I want to live with hip pain or risk another stroke. Since I can't live with the hip pain for the rest of my life, I have to risk of stroke. I'm curious about the actual surgery itself. Is it shorter than the conventional method? I had the other hip done 8 years ago and have done great with it. I'm terrified of having another stroke. Thanks.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @heathersmom
I'm sorry you suffered a stroke...you mentioned pre-op complications - did this happen after your hernia surgery?
I seem to remember you had to get that squared away first.

I had anterior approach and I'm fairly sure the actual surgery time is comparable to other approaches.
There was some benefits regarding restrictions and possibly easier in the short term, but the long term recovery is essentially the same.
Wondering what your surgeon thinks?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know that recovery time is supposed to be easier, maybe, but I'm curious about the actual surgery itself.
Ease of recovery is not approach dependent. And the op itself is the same no matter what approach is used. It will all depend on the amount of damage your hip has suffered and the ease of accessing the joint. Your surgeon will make the call on what approach is used based on your own situation and their experience.
My neurologist said I need to decide whether I want to live with hip pain or risk another stroke.
I don't know your situation but I would discuss this with your surgeon.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You would probably only need to be off Aspirin for a few days before the surgery and then you'll be put back on blood thinners, of which Aspirin is one.
Your surgeon will be able to tell you which anticoagulant he/she uses and can advise you when you can transfer back to Aspirin.

Do I understand correctly - that you didn't have the Right THR in June 2019 and you're still waiting to have it?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh my word...I’m so sorry.
Prayers all goes off without a hitch and you’re relieved of the pain you’re dealing with. Please keep us posted. We’re here for you.
@heathersmom

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I had anterior but had not requested it. I think surgeons should decide on what is best for you. Some only do posterior and others do both but from all that I’ve heard and read, the recovery time for both is very similar. I agree with the suggestions above that you discuss all this with your surgeon. They certainly should be aware of all your situation ahead of time and they will be the best ones to answer your questions. I feel they will probably still be able to do the surgery but they need to know all your background.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom