THR Anterior Approach Surgery Scheduled for Left Hip in March

tejubeha

Country
United States United States
As fate would have it, it appears that I will (once again) be a March Musketeer, I was March Musketeer for my knee replacement. I met with my surgeon today and he recommended a THR, Anterior Approach for my left hip on 3/11/2020. I see @CricketHip has had the anterior approach and I am sure others have as well. I am not that familiar with Anterior Approach, my mother-in-law's replacements were the conventional approach. According to my surgeon, I will spend one night in the hospital and then return, unfortunately my insurance requires a one night stay or he would perform the surgery as an outpatient. I am ready to get this done so I can get back to doing the things I enjoy.

@tejubeha Great that you now have a surgery date! Here's an article from our Library on THR approaches or incisions . There is a bit of marketing hype around anterior approach. Some surgeons say recovery times are shorter if you have anterior. In all honesty the recovery time is the same as it the result.

Anymore questions - just ask. We are here for you!

Great news about your surgery date! Yes, Anterior was the approach for both hips and I had no regrets.. you have less, if any at all restrictions and you will be up and moving a bit easier with this approach. Of course you still have soft tissues and bones to heal and that takes the same amount of time regardless.
I will say that both times when I first met my physical therapist and they watched my gait? They said that I must have had an anterior and since they see a lot of patients I have to think that there is a bit of a difference, early on.
Well, now you can plan for your surgery, it's always so good to have that date settled, isn't it?

Last edited:
Both of mine were posterior, my overnight stay was my choice. I'm 2+hrs from the hospital and overnight was more convenient and I felt better if I needed help. No matter it might be a little while before you get back to what you enjoy. Be sure to read the guidelines and see what a realistic timeline is.

I will be having RTHR on February 6, anterior approach. Both of my knees need replaced so maybe they thought this way would be better, don't know.
I do know that my daughter is 43 and has had both hips replaced anterior and she did very well. Back to work as a paramedic in the shortest time.
So, we shall see. Hope all goes well for you.

I had anterior and no complaints. I spent one night in hospital and went home with no restrictions other than no bungee jumping. I guess dr felt he needed to add one restriction! I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

Good for you, and good to hear. I hope you continue to enjoy your new hip. I hope my surgery goes as well.
Your dog is so cute, looks just like our Ivy Claire that we had for 16 years.

Any recommendations for anesthesia? My OS said general or spinal block. My knee was done under general and so was my hip scope. My fear with spinal is that I will not be "completely under" and may remember something I do not really want in my "memory bank!" I already have problems with PTSD, I do not want to add another traumatic event to my life.

My fear with spinal is that I will not be "completely under" and may remember something I do not really want in my "memory bank!"
Discuss this fear with your surgeon or the anaesthetist on the day. Just say you don't want to see or hear anything. In most cases they will give you sedation along with the spinal. This puts you into a nice, comfy sleep. Then the anaesthetist will watch you throughout the procedure to make sure you stay "out".

A spinal is a much easier recovery. No groggy feeling or nausea.

I had never had a spinal until my first THR, had plenty of GA in the past. Spinal is the way to go. It's a spinal with sedation, don't know,see or hear anything. The sedation is mild so when you come to in recovery you are clear as a bell. The only residual effect is your legs are numb when you come to and they gradually regain feeling, doesn't take very long. With GA they required a breathing tube, with spinal no tube.

I am one that has had general for all four of my joints including the one in Nov. I have never had nausea from the general or issues coming out of it. I do tell the anesthesiologist that I do not want any nausea so please medicate me and they all have agreed that they do not want their patients nauseous so they always do so. With general I do not have any leg numbness and in fact when I came to my room from recovery I got off the stretcher and with walker walked into the bathroom before assuming my position with ice in the recliner. Once down in recliner I had lunch delivered within minutes and proceeded to eat without any issues. Everyone is different. Talk to your doctors and in the end do what will make you most comfortable and lessens any stress on you.

Had my last pre-op appointment yesterday! Everything looks good. The only hiccup in the process is my early morning surgery is now in the mid-afternoon (1500). I am not looking forward to starving half the day before surgery but I will get to sleep late. Surgery is on 11 March. Three days and a late morning “wake up!” Let’s get this party started!

Ooh...that is a bit of a late start...but honestly, in anticipation in being rid of the neverending hip pain...it would be Alright By Me!:ok:
We will be thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way...in advance.

Well, maybe you will get moved up to an earlier time by the time the 11th rolls around.. which will be very soon!
If not, you are correct in that you can sleep in a bit. With both of my hips, I finally would settle down and sleep a bit at around 2:30 am and my alarm would wake me at 4-4:30. :bored:
I remember thinking about how I would have liked a later surgery time!

And hey, intermittent fasting is really in these days........ :tada:

Here's hoping the next 3 days go quickly and smoothly for you..

Last edited:
Best wishes on your surgery this week. @tejubeha

I guess the benefit of a later start is more time at home to relax before you have to report. Hoping all goes well and that you can get on with the recovery business and your new pain free hip,

Hello and Happy Sunday to you! :wave:
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you all the best on Wednesday.
You’re going to love the results of this amazing surgery. No more hip pain. :yes!:
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@tejubeha

:hi: stopping by to wish you the best with your surgery on Wednesday. I totally get the let's get this party started feeling, I was the same way, especially that last week!

Your Big Day!
Hope to see you on the recovery side soon. We have lots of useful info to pass on to you over there. I hope your pain is well managed from the beginning and they provide you with ice.:ice:
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey!
@tejubeha

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom