THR Anterior - 3 weeks in recovery<<

Hi Jaycey

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have been iceing regularly which always seems to help. I just wondered if it was normal for it to take this long to heal and I guess as You say everyone heals differently, but it does seem to be taking a long time.

Hi Layla,

Thanks for your reply too. I guess again, I’m wondering how long for the numbness to go because it is actually not a small area, it is almost the entire thigh that is numb. It starts from above the incision and goes down the front and side of the thigh to the knee. It is quite painful near the knee. I did tell my surgeon this but he wasn’t concerned about it, so I thought it would be okay and improve with time. But here I am almost 8 weeks in recovery and no change from the date of operation to now in the level of numbness. I’ve been starting to think that this may be a permanent thing. I guess it’s a small thing compared to what it was like before the op!! Yikes!!!

The incision has a large bump at the end of it and looks like the skin was drawn inwards as if gathered upwards as in sewing. This is exactly how it looked immediately after surgery and hasn’t changed. I did see a friend’s scar who had an anterior hip replacement and his was dead straight with no lumps or bumps. This is a first for me. I’ve had heaps of operations prior to this, some of them more severe and this is the first scar I’ve had with a big bump or gathering up at the end of it. It is probably perfectly normal, but was wondering if it might smooth out in time?

Well thanks again for your replies. Much appreciated!! :curtsey::flwrysmile:

I’m wondering how long for the numbness to go because it is actually not a small area, it is almost the entire thigh that is numb. It starts from above the incision and goes down the front and side of the thigh to the knee
I had a large area of numbness, that slooowly got smaller and back to normal over the course of time.
At five months, I thought what was left might be permanent!
I decided numbness, tingly asleep feeling was better than crunching OA hip pain.
But it kept improving, and all is normal now.:yes:
You may get some weird prickles, electrical feeling zings, or at least I did while things improve.
All were fleeting..though a bit unnerving at first...again, all normal now!
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Hello, I had anterior Sept 18. Was home next day. Have been up and down able to walk but with a walker.

Sleep is very hard.. for some reason I can go whole day without pain but then at night pain comes. Sleep has been hardest part for me. Also, i did terrible mistake looking up my surgery on YouTube and seeing this guy 3 days out already walking. I know can compare but truthfully mentally it's hard bcuz not sure where I should be. Came across forum and have to say very thankful!!

Hi Mojo

Yep, I have the electrical type shocks as well. I guess it will settle down given time. Darn it, I’m inpatient though and like keyc02, sleep is my biggest problem. I think it will all get better in time, but seems like that illusion “time” is further off than I thought.

Thank you both for your replies and I agree with keyc02, this forum is the best thing. It is so reassuring to be able to come here and ask questions and find out what is happening for others. So thank you all very much.

Cheers
:thankyou:

Hi @Skydove
If your surgeon isn't concerned about the numbness, try not to worry about it. As you've heard it can take up to a year to make a full recovery. Several times, I've heard it can take up to two years. We can always tag Josephine and let her weigh in with thoughts, if you're interested. I've also read of scars with bumps and divets and believe in time yours will smooth out. You are still very early into recovery and I'm sure time will resolve the things you've mentioned.
Wishing you a great weekend!

Sorry for the derail, Skydove, but I'd like to extend the invitation to @Kevc02 (above) to join us through a thread all his own -

Please join us Kevc02 by starting your own thread. A place where we can leave recovery information and where you can document your recovery and receive the support and encouragement you deserve. Thanks!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.14736/

@Kevc02, that guy walking 3 days out ... trust me ... he was probably in pain the next day after you watched that video ... and his muscles are still recovering ... and he'll need the full number of months to fully recover as anyone else ... Walking fast is only one sign of a good recovery.

The real goal is that the device be placed well ... and that the device last decades and decades.

BTW: walking with a walker is great ... you don't have to worry about balance and you can strengthen gradually all kinds of muscles ... lose the walker = inferior exercise/walking ... No, it's great recovery exercise! Make sure you stand up straight as you walk ... and keep your eyes up ... your brain will naturally pick up little glitches in your path (just as it does when we're normally walking).

That guy who walked at 3 days ... later ... if he wanted to walk say three blocks ... used a cane or a walker!

Hi Layla

Thanks again for your good advice and wonderful caring nature.

Yes I think for me it’s just going to take time. The thing that I just can’t get used to is not being able to do everything.

I was an extremely active person before all my illnesses struck and I had just completed renovating 15 houses over the last few years. I used to be up and down ladders, on roofs doing all kinds of construction. I used to be able to do everything in the yard, play squash, driving trucks (ex-Australian Army), teach dance and much much more. Now I feel like a complete shadow of myself and what I used to be.

I’m finding that as time goes on I’m feeling more and more depressed. I do not feel like the person I was before this last operation and I certainly can’t hardly do anything physical like I used to, except for a bit of housework and walking.

This last operation has really knocked my confidence for a six and I’m feeling like I’ve lost my identity. I’m trying not to feel down but it seems like it is getting worse as time goes by. I just am finding it difficult to identify with the person that I now am. Relying on others to do the things that I used to do is a BIG BIG downer for me.

So I guess I am just feeling all these things and I suppose other people go through this, but not being active like I used to be is almost killing me. I’m probably very impatient as I want to see if I can return to doing things I used to do, but at the moment, it just doesn’t seem possible.

Anyway I really appreciate your kindness and great advice. Thanks for listening. :dubious:

It is a downer for us independent active types.
And being patient:blackcloud:

All well worth it and can be a great time to reflect on folks who can't resolve their physical condition and get on with their lives.
I have learned some serious empathy with my recovery!
Sorry you are feeling down and frustrated.
Its going to get better!!:friends:

Thanks so much Mojo
Yes, I’ve been thinking about others who have a permanent disability and will not recover. I can hardly even imagine how they must feel and I am thankful to God that my situation will improve given time. But at the moment, I’m feeling like I’m never going to be able to do the things I used to do and I am working through how to get used to the fact that for some things, this may well be the case. But I actually do count my blessings in terms of knowing that I will be able to walk again. I guess like a lot of people I’m pretty well sick and tired of operations and recovery!! The Black Dog is upon me!!!!!:flabber:

I’m feeling like I’m never going to be able to do the things I used to do
You will indeed be back to doing the things you used to do. Just give your body the time it needs to heal. I know it seems like a long time. But when you think about it, recovery is a short space of time for a lifetime of pain free living. You'll get there!

Thank you for the kind words. Wow, renovating 15 houses over the last few years is an accomplishment in itself let alone everything else you added to the mix. Sounds like a lot of fun and so fullfilling to see the final result, the fruit of your labor! I used to decorate model homes and found it so rewarding when my vision came into fruition!

I'm sorry you're feeling down. I think it's so early into your recovery that you still have time to recapture some, if not all, of the activity you've been unable to engage in since surgery two months ago.

At some point we do begin to slow down, not the happiest thought, but a reality. I was having a conversation about this once, expressing some frustration to my mom and she reminded me that just as I can't do some of the things my adult children are capable of, she (my mom) can't do a lot of the things I'm capable of. Passages.
Remember that complete healing can take up to a year. I've read more than once it can take up to 2 -2 1/2 yrs even. That means you have a lot of time to slowly return to where you were. Possibly for the time being as you're regaining strength, you can engage in some new activities. Try something less physical that's always interested you, but you never had the time to explore. Something you feel you could gain a passion for.

Life is full of adjustments and they're not all easy....for sure! I can relate because as my hip deteriorated I felt some of the exact feelings you've expressed. What works for me is daily counting my blessings and thanking God for all He's given me in my life. When I do that it doesn't leave much room for disappointment. My hubs always say "It's a good day when I wake up breathing" :rotfl: Silly but it's true. Better than the alternative!

I think you have a great shot at regaining a lot of what you're counting as loss. Just hang in there. You have time.

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as your body continues to wonderfully and miraculously repair itself.
I hope you have a peaceful day.
Big Hugs!
@Skydove

Thanks Layla for your very compassionate reply and wise counsel. It is surely food for thought and believe me I’ve got enough time on my hands for thought nowadays.

I do understand what you and Jaycey are saying and it all makes sense. I just can’t see myself ever doing what I used to do again, especially not at my age as I don’t have that many years left and if it does take 2 1/2 years to heal, then that will be me heading towards 70 and if I have to have further operations, it seems that for the rest of my life I will be in surgery and recovery. I’ve already been in surgery and recovery over the last 5 years, so it’s not the most appealing thought in the world and certainly not the way I wanted to end up in my “elder years”. I guess these feelings will pass but at the moment the future looks pretty dark to me.

Hello @Skydove - It takes more time and patience than I think you expected. You're just shy of 2 months since the THR. I kept adding exercises and more walking distance very slowly as pain allowed at the 2 month mark. I remember after 6 months the pain had just about stopped. Now after 2 years there is no pain and I walk and exercise at a reasonable pace. For me it just took a lot of patience while going slow but steady. Be patient and keep on doing what you're doing. It WILL get better with time. Good luck!

HI Clip

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Post op blues and tired of the restrictions recovery puts on us.
Very common feelings at the two month limbo mark.
"Hey, I did this to be More mobile and be Normal":sigh:

Keep the faith...as you heard a few times...with time and patience...you will get better and better.
Hope today is a Good Day!:flwrysmile:

THANKS mojo. Yep, probably post op blues. :whistle:

Sending a hug :console2:
We're here, we care :yes:
Hope tomorrow is a brighter day :SUNsmile:
@Skydove

Hi BONESMART Coordinators and advisors,

I am now in my 12th week of recovery and can see that I am well on my way to healing. Whilst I do still have some pain, it is becoming less and less each day.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. This forum has given me some great advice and support at a time when I really needed it, so to you all, thank you so very very much.

I’ve been out gardening, :snow plough:mowing the grounds, and doing raking and all sorts of outdoor work and feeling okay. So, hopefully, I am on the road to recovery now.

All the best to you all.

:flwrysmile: :thankyou: Xxx

@Skydove Thanks for stopping by. So glad you are seeing the benefits of this amazing surgery. Sounds like you are well on your way. Long may it continue!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom