THR Anterior - 3 weeks in recovery<<

Well here I am in my 6th week tomorrow. Seem to be slowly getting better each day. The area in my leg where the artificial joint has been inserted is still quite painful and I still have pretty much a numb log leg from hip to knee on one side of it. I am not using crutches any more and feel that I can move around okay now without them. I feel very very tired all the time and am still finding sleep to be a problem. Still cannot sleep on operated side due to pain.

However, having said that, I feel that I am making progress with slight improvements every day. This recovery has not been as quick as I hoped and I am surprised how much it has taken out of me, but I guess that’s to be expected. Sometimes when I read how others are pain free and walking well, it makes me wonder why my recovery is different and that I am still experiencing pain, but I guess everyone is different.

It has been really wonderful to log my journey on this forum and I feel it has given me really great backup and advice, thank heavens for it.

Thank you to all of you. :yahoo: Xx​

Last edited:
Sometimes when I read how others are pain free and walking well, it makes me wonder why my recovery is different and that I am still experiencing pain...

Odd... 70%-80% of the posts I have read (both on this forum and others) have the poster still experiencing a decent amount of pain 6 weeks out. In fact, I cannot recall a single post that I have read where someone claimed to be “pain free” at 6 Weeks. Pain at a 0-2 level with taking Tylenol, yes... but not pain free sans drugs. Though admittedly I have not had time to read through every post in this forum .

Take heart... you had you largest joint sliced open, you largest muscle groups stretched, the top or your largest bone sawed off, and pointy metal things litterally hammered into place. If you were completely healed in six weeks, you would be a mutant. Go to You Tube and watch a full length total hip replacement... then see if you feel the same. After watching a couple after my surgery (and many before surgery), I am quite surprised I am even vertical when awake .

Cheers

The area in my leg where the artificial joint has been inserted is still quite painful and I still have pretty much a numb lot leg from hip to knee on one side of it
Very normal and expected..my numbness actually lasted for many months...will keep getting better as a rule. Still lots of healing going on.

I feel very very tired all the time and am still finding sleep to be a problem. Still cannot sleep on operated side due to
Energy drain is real...your body is using all of it up to concentrate on healing that trauma...as far as the sleeping...won't depress you bby telling you how long it was before I could get a GOOD night sleep. But we are all different and I had to be a consummate napper until it was possible.:bored:

Sometimes when I read how others are pain free and walking well, it makes me wonder why my recovery is different and that I am still experiencing pain, but I guess everyone is different.
As wonkeyhipoy suggests, all sounds very normal.
We tend to gravitate toward the stories that are describing recoveries that sound more expedient than our own.
Slow wins this race!
Take heart...it gets better!:tada:

Happy Six Week Anniversary!
Your body is using all its energy to heal not leaving much else for avtivities of daily life.
It does get better. Rest as often as you're able. This is a process and can feel disheartening at
times but you're on your way and you'll get there. Wishing you comfort and some restorative rest.
Hope you have a nice Sunday :SUNsmile:
@Skydove

Dear Layla, Mojo & wonkyhippy,

Thanks for your replies. Yes I agree with you guys and will try and rest more. Guess I’m expecting too much too soon. Doesn’t help when friends tell you their stories about how well they went and how quickly they recovered. So i guess more patience and rest is the ticket.

Appreciate all your replies and advice.

Cheers :good-bad:

Hi. Layla

Oh magic!! I just read the tall tales and gave me such a laugh. So true, so true. I actually spoke to a friend prior to this surgery who had a hip replacement done and returned to classical ballet dancing. As an ex-dance teacher, I coud hardly believe this. Now I’m more than sceptical.

Ha-haa gonna pass this link on to my sister who is on the TKR pre-op forum. What a family, a knee and a hip with more to come!!

Thanks again Layla, you’re fabulous.

Cheers
:rofsign::loll::heehee:

Hi skydove,

Looks like we have the same surgery date. Hope you are have a good day. I know I still have good days and bad days. Hang in there and best wishes to your recovery. Happy 6 weeks!!!

Hi there Soccerdad,

Yep happy 6th week recovery to you too.

Like you I have ups and downs but it seems more ups lately, so things are looking better and better. Seem to be getting around a bit more easy today. :walking:

Thanks for your well wishes, all the way from Dallas, Texas!!! Fabulous.

All the best... going to have a nice rest now as I’ve been out at the shops all morning. Ahhh.... :bath:

Cheers

Hi Guys
I’ve had a little accident today and bumped my operated hip quite hard and now it is hurting quite a lot. Do you think this will settle down with some ice? I’d really appreciate some advice re this.

Many thanks.
:sos:

I am the queen of klutz...so I've bumped my hip a few times including had the car door ram into my hip bone and anterior incision very hard just a few weeks ago.
Obviously I need to be more careful.:sorry:
It really hurt and it scared me silly.:flabber:
Yes, ice! I'm sure you did no real damage...but that hip is Tender!

I got thrown to the ground by a heavy car door during a very heavy wind. Landed right on my hip. OUCH! I was sore and bruised for days. Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day. I'll bet this settles with time.

Oh my. gosh, Mojo and Jaycey!!! That is just awful. I don’t think mine is anywhere near what you guys did. Just got a bit worried as started hurting and I thought, oh no, I’ve done something, moved the joint or shank or something, worry wart that I am. I guess it will settle down. Thanks for your replies and thank heavens you are here on this forum!!! A big help to me and others.
:thankyou::thankyou:

It's perfectly normal to be somewhat of a nervous Nellie...don't want to "mess" anything up:)
Being overly cautious kept me from being Quite so klutzy!
Taker it easy today...maybe we should wear bumper pads:giggle:

Ouch! So sorry you're hurting. I'll bet the ice does the trick.
It will help with the pain and any inflammation. Just make sure you devote the amount of time to it
that Jaycey mentioned. Let us know how it goes.
Hugs and well wishes!
@Skydove

Ha ha, Mojo... bumber pads.. I like the idea... ha haa. Might be better than an injury though.

Thanks Layla, don’t know how I did this, just a lapse in memory I guess. Have been doing the ice thing. Hopefully it will settle down. 3:25 am here and can’t sleep. Typical night for me.

Thanks again guys, it’s so reasssuring to be able to ask these questions!!!!

Over and out from down under...

:alarm:

Hi there, :wave:
I hope you slept well last night.
Wondering how your hip is feeling today? Hopefully the ice is helping...
Let us know how you're doing when you have time.
Hugs
@Skydove

Hi Layla,

Thanks for your post and asking after me. Yes, hip is a bit better. I think the ice is working plus I’m resting it, so should be okay in a few days. It still hurts, but not so much as yesterday.

Was actually wondering a couple of things, 1. When the pain will stop and 2. When the numbness will go away? This is not from my little accident, but just in the course of things. I will be in my 8th week of recovery come Monday and it seems like it is taking a long time to be pain free.

Also, is it normal to have a scar that is bubbly instead of a straight line? Just curious about these things. :doh:
Many thanks
Cheers

When the pain will stop
Unfortunately this is a bit like the question "how long is a piece of string". Everyone heals differently. Are you icing regularly? How active are you now? Things will continue to ease. Just takes time and a ton of patience.
When the numbness will go away?
Nerves take a long time to heal. Again - just give it time.

Hi again,
I'm happy to hear your hip is feeling better today.
I agree with Jaycey's responses above. I had little areas that were numb for months.
As far as the incision, if you mean bumpy, that is normal also and it slowly smooths out over time.
You don't mean bubbly as in fluid being involved, do you?
@Skydove

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom