THR Anterior - 3 weeks in recovery<<

Skydove

Country
Australia Australia
Hi everyone

I’ve had a left anterior THR and am in my 3rd week of recovery. I’ve basically been pain free and able to move around really well until yesterday. I had a strange painful twisting feeling either in my hip joint or thigh muscle, I couldn’t tell which. My left thigh and hip became painful after this and I was afraid that I was not going to be able to walk. After taking small test steps on crutches I was able to walk okay but pain is still there. It seems to get more painful getting in and out of bed and sitting. At first I thought my hip was dislocating and got really frightened.

I am now scared to move in case it is dislocating and not sure what is going on. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thank you.

Hi Skydove. It looks like you accidentally posted twice. I'll ask an admin to delete the second post.

If your hip dislocated, you wouldn't be asking us. You'd know it, and you'd be back in the hospital by now getting it fixed. It is possible that you inadvertently twisted a bit and caused some soft tissue inflammation to kick up. But really, call your OS first thing in the morning and just check it out. Better to be over-cautious in case there really is a reason to be concerned. Do put ice on it to help with the pain, along with your usual pain meds.

In the meantime, here's some useful reading material to help you make sense of things. Pay particular attention to the dislocation article.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Dear Sharon,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I’ve read some of your links and will be reading the rest. They are really excellent and have given me information that none of the other brochures or paperwork that I was given at the hospital did, so I’m extremely grateful for all this info. It is wonderful that this forum exists and that we can get such great information, quickly and from qualified people. Just excellent, so thanks again. PS, yes I did accidentally post twice, so thank you for deleting the extra one. :)

Hi @Skydove
I've deleted your duplicate post, so you only have this one thread now.

:welome: to Bonesmart.
It was a great tool during my recovery also!
Please let us know when your surgery date was and we can add it to your signature.
Hopefully you just strained one of those already healing muscles...let us know what OS says!
Tentative days these are, but we are rooting for you!:yay:

Last edited:
Welcome to BoneSmart! New hips really do not like any kind of twisting in the early days. Your muscles and soft tissues are still complaining about all the trauma. Rest, ice and elevate. If you are worried call your surgeon's office. But I'll bet this eases with rest.

Thank you Jaycey/

Hi Mojo,

My surgery was on 31st August 2018.

Yes, thanks to everyone for these replies, you guys are awesome.

I’ve come to realise that the pain and numbness in my thigh is due to the muscle damage and healing, I guess. I did get a little worried when I could walk and shower in the hospital but over the last week at home pain is getting worse and worse and now cannot lift left leg to get into shower, have to manually lift it myself. Just seemed strange that I felt like I was healing and now feel like I’m going backwards. I will try ice and elevation, that was suggested here (which no one at the hospital or anyone else I’ve seen) have suggested. In fact they sent me home with one sleeve of TRAMADOL and that was it. Very little instructions as what to do etc. I’ve had to google most of the info myself. So you’ll never know how grateful I am to find this website and all the information and wonderful help from everyone. So thank you all. Cheers :)

Oops, surgery date typo.
We haven't experienced August 31, 2018 yet, at least I haven't :heehee:
Blame it on the drugs, you can still get by with it, lol.

Welcome to BoneSmart, you'll love it here. Lots of encouragement and support.
Definitly try the icing and elevation and let us know how it's working.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Skydove

@Skydove Are you taking any medication for pain? You are pretty early out to go without any medication.

they sent me home with one sleeve of Tramadol and that was it.
I think the intention is that you contact your GP for more. You are also taking paracetamol aren't you?
I worked out these schedules which, though for my knee, will do equally well for a hip.

aa Tramadol routine 2.JPG

I did get a little worried when I could walk and shower in the hospital but over the last week at home pain is getting worse and worse and now cannot lift left leg to get into shower
Well you have to remember that as the days go by, the swelling, pain and stiffness get worse and with it comes our old friend the LOG LEG! Don't let it scare you, it's inevitable.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi Layla,
Oops,,, Doh... sorry about surgery date, it was 31st July 2018. Brain coma....

Hi Jaycey - Only one sleeve of TRAMADOL.

Hi Josephine,
Thank you for all the info above, it is invaluable. I did go to my GP and she prescribed TRAMADOL, as I’d run out, and Lyrica. I take 1 x TRAMADOL in the morning and 1 x TRAMADOL with 1x Lyrica at night. That’s it. I haven’t been taking Panadol.

I am more than happy for you to ask me questions and thank you for offering.

Cheers
Skydove :)

I take 1 x Tramadol in the morning and 1 x Tramadol with 1x Lyrica at night. That’s it.
Well try taking it as per the chart I left you. Adding paracetamol to the Tramadol is a great combo as it enhances the pain killing effect. But you must take it more than twice a day.

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
etc., etc.

Hi Josephine

Here. Are the answers:-

1. anterior

2. Pain levels are 6

3. Tramadol 100mg 1 tablet twice daily. (I am taking these)
Tramadol 50mg 1 tablet 4 times a day (not taking these as almost makes me unconscious)

4. Icing leg twice a day, once in morning and once at night. 15 mins each

5. Yes, elevating leg at night in bed.

6. Not doing very much activity at the moment, just a little walking around the house. Finding leg too painful to stand for long. I do dishes, cooking, make bed, washing, but not much else.

7. Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day - ONE SESSION
etc., etc.
laying on bed
ankler paddles - 20each leg
hip and knee flexion - 20 each
hip abduction - 10 each
static quads - 20 each
inner range quads - 10 each

standing exercises
hip flexion - 20 each
hip extension - 20 each
hip abduction - 20 av
semi squats - 10 each
marching on spot - 10 each
heel raises - 20 each

Josephine, I just want to add that the reason I don’t do very much exercise or housework at home is that I am exhausted. I also have cancer (have had major surgery ie radical hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo oopherectomy, pelvic lymphedectomy, radio and chemo after surgery developed infection in wound and had to be treated in ER every morning for a month, also was on Clexane self-administered twice daily for 30 days), Lymphodema (due to pelvic dissection and removal of lymph nodes), Post Herpetic Neuralgia (hospitalised with Shingles in head, face and eyes just prior to cancer diagnosis), diagnosed too late and didn’t get the anti-virals on time. Also Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. I am 165cm and weigh 75kg. This hip operation is now the second lot of major surgery that I’ve had within 5 years and I am mentally and physically drained as still trying to cope with the other chronic illnesses. It is not because I’m being lazy about exercise, I am just exhausted.

Once again, I would like to thank you and the amazing team of ladies here at BoneSmart. This is the first lot of help that I’ve received outside of my GP, so thank you all very much.

Cheers
Skydove :).

PS: sorry I couldn’t put all your questions in italics, but doing this on iPad and finding it difficult for iPad to cooperate. Ah.... technology... great when it works. Ha-haaa!!

LAYING ON BED
ANKLE PADDLES - 20 EACH LEG
HIP AND KNEE FLEXION - 20 EACH
HIP ABDUCTION - 10 EACH
STATIC QUADRICEPS - 20 EACH
INNER RANGE QUADRICEPS - 10 EACH

STANDING EXERCISES
HIP FLEXION - 20 EACH
HIP EXTENSION - 20 EACH
HIP ABDUCTION - 20 EACH
SEMI SQUATS - 10 EACH
MARCHING ON SPOT - 10 EACH
HEEL RAISES - 20 EACH

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week = NIL
etc., etc.

Josephine, I just want to add that the reason I don’t do very much exercise or housework at home is that I am exhausted.

I'm exhausted looking at all that and you are ever tough one with all the other struggles you've had on top of THR.
Gracious, take a sabbatical.let your body catch up!
Hope your night is peaceful:ice:

@Jaycey I just want to point out that I have had two THR’s, both anterior. I came home with Tramadol for both. I took it at night for two weeks with the first.....I don’t know why I did, I had no pain. I thought I’d wake up in pain so I took it.

With the second, I took two but not for the hip, for the knee when I popped something doing a heel slide (stopped those that day).

If you count Tylenol as medication, then I guess I had some but I’m assuming you mean prescription meds.

Hi Josephine,

Thanks for your reply. I guess that’s what I’m doing at the moment, is trying to rest. Just very tired all the time and pain sometimes won’t let me sleep, but managing. I’m sure I’ll get through this but was a little scared at first as didn’t know what the heck my body was doing. Just being able to talk to you and the other ladies has helped a lot and I feel more confident now. I’m actually laying in bed a the moment as had very little sleep last night and am icing my leg.

Thank you Josephine and thank you everyone, I really appreciate the advice and help, and especially the time you all take to answer me!!!!! Know how much time it takes, so thank you all.

Cheers
SKydove :)

I took my meds because I NEEDED them...for several months.
I had trouble sleeping and I was able to get around better with my pain managed.
I don't consider myself a wimp nor do I care for pain meds or the side effects...was necessary for me.
I needed to have some mental rest too!
Keep the faith...hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:

:hi: @Skydove
Hope you feel a bit more energized and things are looking brighter today :SUNsmile:
Best wishes for a peaceful rest of the week!

Hi Layla,

Bless you for your lovely reply. The THR seems to be progressing okay.

Just trying to rest. I am sure given time that everything will be really good in the end and if it isn’t, it’s not yet the end - tee-hee!!

Cheers
Pamela :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie