Revision THR Another Second Chance

Remember, these are the home exercises. We didn’t do anything at the office today except investigate and get some benchmark numbers. I’ll share after the appointment next Thursday what we did as far as exercises go.

Haven’t tried the squat yet, that’s the only one I have a little trepidation with. The bands don’t bother me. I don’t be use very tight ones so it only provides slight resistance. One thing he did tell me is to take advantage of any chance I can to simply lay on my stomach. This helps to stretch the front just under the incision.

Don't like any of these much.

ham string.jpg

I think this one would be easier and more effectively done using one of these maneouvres

a hamstrings-horz-vert.jpg

itb 1.jpeg

"Quad stretch"? This is a knee bend procedure and very injurious!

itb 2.jpeg

Don't like anything that uses bands and this one will a) not improve extension and b) will cause tendinitis in the upper thigh muscles, specially the ITB

bridging.jpg

Bridging is always problematic because it will strain your back and lower back muscles.

sumo.jpg

Squats are like lunges, not to be entertained lightly. They will strain all the hip, buttock and thigh muscles.

Thanks boss @Josephine for taking the time.
So far, I’ve done one set of each just to see what they feel like.

For the band hip extension, I may skip the band but also do them in the pool. Those feel pretty good that way.
I agree there are many other ways to produce the same hamstring stretch.
That prone quad stretch....I can simply stand and grab my foot from behind to stretch the quad.
I’m not going so deep on the Sumo squat. Being very careful to keep toes over knees and toes pointed at 45°.
I can do the clam shells laying down without the bridge.

All in all I don’t feel any stress or pain in the hip. Really just getting these muscles back in action slowly.

Thanks again.

Throwback Thursday.
Here is a post from my first recovery thread. Apparently I was riding my bike to PT. This was 6 1/2 weeks after my THR. @Layla now you see where my mind is.

We've got super safe bike trails here in Colorado. Only had to cross two intersections to get to PT. 3.62 miles to get there and 3.38 on the way back....I must have taken a shortcut home :yes!:

Now, regarding PT today. Not to toot my own horn but I guess I'm getting stronger. They have stopped clamshells, leg up wall stretches and the one leg balance on the mini Bosu ball. Now I get to do TRX suspension exercises! What is TRX you say? Look no further!
awww-olympian_fitness-com_images_trx2-jpg.44184

I do the bottom left one. Once I'm in the position I do sort of a 'running man' with my legs. Or bend both legs in at the same time.
awww-karpfitness-com_wp_content_uploads_2009_07_lateral_split_squat_2-jpg.44185

This one is tough. Start standing straight and do squats keeping the other leg out.
akodjoworkout-com_wp_content_uploads_2013_02_trx_perkup-jpg.44186

The last one is kind of like this except I keep my arms straight out in front of me as I lean forward and I get to keep both feet on the floor.

Fun.

At two months, many are not training ...they are recovering.
Taking some easy does it time doesn't mean succumbing to infirmity...it is healing time.
If it works for you, great news.
I don't see anything that can't be done a little further down the road but even though I've always been a risk taker...this surgery is not something I care to repeat.
I do hope if you feel any repercussions...you will just ease off.
I worry for you.

I was just showing where I was 6 years ago. I’m just now starting some basic home stuff, shown a few posts back. I’m not saying I need to be dong these right now, just kind of comparing my two recoveries.

I said it 6 years ago and I’ll say it again. As a pretty active person going into this, I feel like I am prepared to move quicker through recovery. Of course if I feel anything out of sorts with the joint I will stop what it is I’m doing. The big thing for me is knowing muscle ache from good, healthy use and exercise compared to the pain from overusing the new joint. Of course my glutes are going to scream at me a bit. So what? I would ride my bike 40 miles and you bet muscles were screaming at me! Does that mean I’m not going to ride again? Heck no! A good soak and a day of rest and I’m back at it.

I’m not discounting one word of caution any of you have offered here at BS. It actually makes me slow down and make sure I’m not overdoing it. But as it is written all over this place, we are all different and our bodies react differently to the stresses of these surgeries. As my body was ready, strong and prepared for this surgery, I feel like I can move into some more advanced PT. I’m still far behind where I was 6 years ago. I think that right there shows that I’m listening and adhering to a slower approach!

Thanks for the kind words as usual @Mojo333 .

I was just showing where I was 6 years ago
Oops...sorry I missed this.:blush:

Want all the best for this hip recovery and I admit I can be a Nervous Nelly.
Hope you have a great weekend and that all keeps getting better and better
:tada:

Whew!
Very cool looking exercises however.
Hope you have a great weekend!:SUNsmile:

I asked my docs medical assistant and here is the reply:

I asked Ricky. He said you are cleared to ride your bike now. Slow and Low building up gradually. Glad you are doing so well. Have a great weekend.

Here We Go:biking:

Edit- Sent the kids out each with a dog. Have them a 5 min head start and I had to find them in the neighborhood. I rode 2 1/2 miles!

Last edited:
Look at you. Great to see you enjoying getting out and about.
Simply grand.
Just No
:bicycle2:, okay?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom