Revision THR Another Second Chance

Pretty big deal mowing the yard like that! Was just watching the news and retail sales have plummeted for May (so has our business!) so maybe that includes neighborhood garage sales too! :heehee:

Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
Sounds like you had a really good day! :yes!:
A little exercise and a little chill time in the lawn chair watching the garage sale traffic.
I'd call that a healthy balance. You're doing great.
I hope you and your family have a lovely weekend. :)
@inthebeginning

You are doing great. My daughter has been lifeguarding since high school...for the past several years and now teaches certifications.
Great job I think, as there is a serious responsibility attached that seems to have built great character with her...a little more rewarding than "Do you want fries with that?"
Not that I'm dismissing any jobs...even fast foods..
I worked at burger joint for summers in school.
Glad you are doing so well.
Hope your weekend is Sweet!:happydance:

@Mojo333 Thanks!
So far, he’s actually had to provide one swimmer assist already on his first shift! A smaller kiddo was having a little trouble so he held out the pole and pulled him to the side! Very proud! He does say he is ‘bored’ a bit. He has always been involved in activities that are all about running and moving. It’s hard for him to sit in one place! He’ll get it.

Good discipline though, it will teach him patience, right? Talking about the "sitting still" part.
You've been a good example of that for him as I know you're chomping at the bit, lol.
I think you're doing great, really I do. I hope your son does well at the swim meet and makes his papa proud.
Enjoy the day!
@inthebeginning

@Layla
I think he will. What exactly did you mean ‘sitting still part’? LOL

Actually it was my daughter’s swim meet. She was in 5 events, 2 relays and 3 individual events. She swiped a little time off of a couple. First meet with only 3 practices in the pool due to the weather! Proud papa here!
Have a great rest of the weekend.

Sitting still, sitting in one place, you know what I mean. Like father like son, lol.
How will your son handle a shift on a lifeguard chair while on duty, or is he allowed to pace back and forth poolside? That's an awesome responsibility for a 15 yr old it seems. Your kids must be excellent swimmers.
Sounds like your daughter did well. You should be a proud papa.
Hope you have a fantastic Sunday!

No pacing that I’m aware of. I think they sit for :15 min intervals in the chairs and rotate. Depending on how many chairs are staffed (depends on how many swimmers are in the pool) they get a :15 min break every 5 or 6 moves.

They definitely do alot of sitting...scanning. My daughter works at a large waterpark so many different areas..slides, wave pools, small child splash pads, lazy river...
My daughter said her big day yesterday involved mass chaos when someone's wig washed up in small children's area and panic ensued when the "monster" floated up.:rotfl:

I got ahead of myself last week. I posted ‘Day 44’, when it was actually 36.

So for today, Day 41. This may be a long post.

Saw my doc’s PA today for a 6 week post-op. Since I’ve been following doctors orders (@Layla), everything looks and feels great. He was whipping the leg around like nothing. So ROM looks pretty good so far. No pains while he was manipulating it. X-ray looks awesome, see next post.

I had a list of questions and articles I had researched to discuss. We covered Stress Shielding and Wolff’s Law of Bone. The new device is embedding well and looking strong.

I am released to walk, walk, walk!!! I can get in the pool, use the elliptical and ride a stationary bike at the gym!! Have to wait a couple weeks to sit in the saddle of the real bike.

Now for some cool educational type stuff for the audience, please check out the next post.

Wolff's Law of Bone. Bones will adapt to new stresses and loads placed upon them. This means when the OS shoves the stem in our femurs, that bone will adapt to the different stresses and weight bearing points, etc with the addition of the device. Wolff's Law also works in people without joint replacements. One of the best examples of this is tennis players. The bones in the racket holding arm of tennis players are usually stronger than the other arm due to the high stresses placed on them.

For us with joint replacements, the femur has to adjust to the stem now taking the brunt of the stress and downward force. If you look at the yellow circles in the two images below, you can see the sides of the bone bulge out just a bit. That bulge is actually where the end of the old stem was!

Pay close attention to the 6.3.19 picture. You can see that the bulge has actually lessened. So in just 6 weeks, my femur is adapting to the new stem and recovering from the stress of the old, short stem.

I threw in today's Left hip just to please myself. There is plenty of room and no signs of arthritis. YAY!!!

Attachments

• 5.6.19.gif
    5.6.19.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 6.3.19.gif
    6.3.19.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 219
  • L hip 6.3.19.gif
    L hip 6.3.19.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 215
Wow, you did get ahead of yourself! Actually over a week ahead, lol. It sounds like you had a really productive visit with the PA today, which is always reassuring. The educational post above is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're on your way. Please proceed with caution, you've been so good lately I'd hate to see you botch it up. I hope you have a wonderful week...stay in touch.
@inthebeginning

Yep, that bone needs weight on it.
Some more info by our nurse director.
More is not always better...everything in moderation.
Stress shielding refers to the reduction in bone density (osteopenia) as a result of removal of typical stress from the bone by an implant (for instance, the femoral component of a hip prosthesis). This also occurs underneath bone plates and intra medullary rods.

stress shielding.JPG

How does stress shielding happen?
The science of it is that bone growth is stimulated by loading or weight bearing. Consequently anything that relieves the bone of weight bearing is likely to incur osteopenia. Non-traumatic examples of this are
1. long term bed rest which is common in pre-twentieth century ailments when
patients could be confined to bed for months with conditions such as pulmonary tuberculosis, heart conditions such as heart attacks or heart failure. Conditions where nowadays, patients are encouraged to be up and ambulant within a day or two​
2. having a leg in a plaster cast or requiring non-weight bearing for prolonged periods
of time, implying a matter of 3-6 months​
3. the most well known case of this problem was when man started to explore space.
It’s well-known that in space, the human body is weightless and therefore osteopenia will be more than likely to occur. After the first trip around the moon, it was generally expected that when the astronauts took their first step out of the recovery helicopter onto the ship, in at least one of them a bone in their leg would just give way. Later journeys and in the Space Station, exercise was an important part of the daily routine for astronauts aboard the station to prevent bone and muscle loss. On average, astronauts exercise two hours per day.​

The equipment they use is different than what is used on Earth. Lifting 200lbs on Earth may be a lot of work. But lifting that same object in space would be much easier. Because of microgravity, it would weigh much less than 200 pounds there. That means exercise equipment needs to be specially designed for use in space so astronauts will receive the workout needed.

How does bone grow/heal
The pathology of bone growth is that stem cells, the bone equivalent to a foetus, are developed in quantity within the medullary cavity by small organisms call pre-osteoblasts. Just like it mammals, not all these cells go on to develop but most do and develop into immature bone cells, osteoblasts, which rest in the cancellous material in the centre surface of the hard bone. Over a few days, these grow and develop and gradually move into the hard bone.

One little known fact about bone is that it is continually growing from within out, just like skin. Over the next few weeks, the baby bone cells mature and migrate towards the outer surface of the bone where they die and are absorbed by other organisms called osteoclasts. This is how a bone grows or heals after injury.

stem cell journey.jpg

bone growth 1.jpg

Interesting note: did you know that bone is the only tissue in the body to NOT leave a scar when it sustains an injury? This obviously excludes very major fractures.

fracture healing.JPG

@Mojo333 I had searched BS for ‘stress shielding’ as well as ‘wolff’s law’, didn’t find a bunch, but did see that post.

I noticed something in one of the last pictures of my first device the other day. Made me think of @Aditi and her bone shelf. Certainly looks like a bit of extra bone at the bottom of the stem?

Attachments

• D56056C2-AFE6-406C-B37E-CE1A744C2FCF.jpeg
    D56056C2-AFE6-406C-B37E-CE1A744C2FCF.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 197
Day 43.
Up at 0245 for a drive to the airport this morning. Wife and daughter are flying to Chicago to visit MIL and Step-FIL for a couple days. She’s 88 and had a stroke a few years ago. She’s actually been doing fairly well all things considered. He is a few years younger but was just diagnosed with liver cancer. He is having Radioembolization later this week. That’s the treatment where they inject radiation beads into the liver via the hepatic artery.

Meanwhile, my son and his high school basketball team are in a 3 day tournament up at the University of Northern Colorado starting Thursday. I have volunteered to drive a couple of boys in addition to my son. This will be a great test for the hip as it it about a 1:15 hour drive. Again, my work includes driving around the airport most of the time I am on duty. I can usually stop and get out to stretch if I have to but still there are times when I may be in the seat for a couple of hours!

Other than that, going to hit the gym today! Do some laps on the pool and see how many miles I can get on the elliptical!

Cheers!

Took a vid of me going up and down the stairs. Just a little hitch to the right on the way up. Actually even ‘jogged’ the last couple of steps! Coming down is a blast.

There may be a picture of a couple of cute kids too. :angel:

Attachments

• 5D5141EF-FEB7-4677-96BF-BE2D712DA9A9.png
    5D5141EF-FEB7-4677-96BF-BE2D712DA9A9.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 182
Awesome! Look at you go. Not a video though...
Those are very cute kids!
Good luck on the drive today. Let us know how you handled it. Consider bringing ice packs and cooler...it helps.
Happy Thursday :)
@inthebeginning

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker