Revision THR Another Second Chance

Welcome!
Following you'll find the Recovery Guidelines to peruse while you're still clear headed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Wishing you comfort as you await your big day tomorrow. We'll look forward to hearing from you once you're resting comfortably and feeling up to posting.
All the best to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @inthebeginning

Last edited:
Wishing you well tomorrow and hopefully an amazing recovery!
:biking:

T-minus 2 hours to check in!
See you on the other side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of luck to you!
We'll look forward to your first post once you're feeling up to it.
@inthebeginning

See you soon on this healing thread...
All the best:yes:

It’s 2330 hours. Start was delayed this afternoon. I’m not really even sure what time I was wheeled back. Thinking the first cut was around 1430 or so. We did a spinal this time which I thought we did 6 years ago but the anesthesiologist was the same from that first time and he confirmed it was general.

The procedure took about 2 hours, so I ended up going under general anyway about halfway through. Recovery floor was good. Some applesauce and ice chips! Made it up to a room and ordered a burger with fries and iced tea. Was so very sleepy so only had a couple of bites and slept. Wifey and daughter were in recovery for a bit. Wife picked up son from
Basketball practice and they stayed until about 2115, after all it is a school day tomorrow!

The procedure went well according to the doc. The old stem pretty much came out in his hand . I now have a longer, wider and slightly beefier stem embedded down farther into some fresh bone. He said he reshaped the cavity to get this one to fit better. While he was in there I received a new cup as well! So the clock was reset to Zero on the total package.

I have taken a spin around the floor already with a walker! The knee actually hurts more than the hip! He said he really had to pound the new stem in.

Right before I started this post, I have been released from the catheter, O2 and IV!! Yay me!

That’s all for now.

Glad to see your post. Hope your pain is well managed and that soon you will be on your way home.
Healing vibes coming your way.:yes:

Blessed restorative sleep.:sleep:
I was so horribly sleep deprived by the time I got my surgeries...I was grateful they were going to knock me out.

Summer will be truly sweet!

Blessed restorative sleep.:sleep:
I was so horribly sleep deprived by the time I got my surgeries...I was grateful they were going to knock me out.

Summer will be truly sweet!
With the exception of some weekend nights, I average between 4-6 hours normally. I’m probably at at least 6 already tonight. It’s currently 0430!

Just took a second lap around the floor with my walker and whichever nurse would have me! She also brought my first cup of coffee [emoji477]️
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20190424_a9f2666b1f6f91ca238b6670fbe269ea.jpg

Wow... steady on .. you will be overtaking us all.[emoji23][emoji23]
Good T shirt! So pleased for you
sleep, walk & coffee.. the Holy
Trinity of hip recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal