Revision TKR Another Revision Planned

Annie N

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Me again, back for a revision of my 2019 left TKR due to hyperextension and instability. Frustrated but resigned.
I was given these choices in the summer:

1. Leave as is and use the right knee as my main balance and support
2. Have the left plastic spacer replaced for one that is larger and is thought that it should reduce or control the hyperextension.
3. Go nuclear [surgeon's words] and replace the 2019 joint again with one that matches the new right knee. The left knee still has a poorly functioning anterior cruciate ligament, the right does not, as the joint is posterior stabilising. It would be replacement of the top part of the knee replacement only [hopefully], but still another revision.

Well, we decided to go nuclear. I've been knock-kneed and flat-footed for longer than I was aware of, and it's caused both foot and knee issues. And three broken ankles and a foot fracture, and now possible a tendon rupture in my left foot, which is really not funny. This has got to stop, I need to be stable, the left knee is bending in all sorts of directions it should not really.
So I'm on the list again 5 months after my last revision, with up to 6 months wait ahead.
Meanwhile, the foot tendon issue is under investigation as it's the same leg, I've already had one successful foot reconstruction, but this is annoying, and it's really holding my recovery up as well.

Oh well, let's hope 2024 is the year of fun and holidays and the new bionic me.

I’m sorry to read of a revision and I do hope you will have a good outcome afterwards. :console2:

Welcome back, Annie. I am so sorry it's under these circumstances. It sounds. like you may have a bit of a wait. I wish you comfort in the interim with hopes this is the last surgery you'll need. Please keep us posted and know we're here for support always. Hugs
@Annie N

I had a revision in September where a larger spacer was placed. I’m having another revision on Tuesday with the nuclear option. I think you made the right decision. Best of luck.

What is the nuclear option? Also was the spacer put in for an infection ?

Oh no! Are you okay?
Not really. I have an appointment the 18th. My PKR has never been right, so converting it to a TKR may be in my future. I dread redoing this knee, but I think it’s time.
more drama to your partial, eh? I’m sorry but if a total is next, I hope it’s a better outcome.

Marie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks