Another newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope56

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone,

Been putting off surgery for as long as I could, like most I suppose, and am heading in on March 9th. I'm sure I have the same fears as everyone else and am reading as much as I possibly can to soak up the wealth of knowledge here.

My list of concerns consist of:

I also have leg length discrepancy and am unsure of why or how it will affect the surgery.
I've always been afraid of drugs, let alone heavy duty pain killers, and their side effects.
I will have help from family and friends, but am basically by myself and am afraid of how I'll be able to do it alone.
I'm fearful of my job being absorbed and job security, after being away for so long.

Those are just the few off the top of my head and I'm wondering if anyone can address them, based on your own experience. I appreciate any information that will calm an active imagination that will most likely increase as the time draws near...

So glad to be here!

@Hope56 Welcome to Bonesmart. A moderator will be on soon to give you a list of readings. I can speak to your concern about being on your own. I live alone and was worried about how I'd cope. Because I was worried, I did choose to go to a rehab place immediately post op but I really didn't need to--I left after a few days because I realized I'd be better off at home. I had friends and neighbors who stopped by regularly and in-home PT services. I was fine and delighted to be in my comfy house.

@Hope56 Welcome to BoneSmart! Of course you are concerned. No one likes to face major surgery. But I can confirm this is the worst part of the journey. Your imagination runs wild.
I also have leg length discrepancy and am unsure of why or how it will affect the surgery.
Ask your surgeon about this. They may be able to correct or partially correct this during your surgery. I had LLD before my RTHR and it was corrected during the op.
I've always been afraid of drugs, let alone heavy duty pain killers, and their side effects.
Discuss your concern with your surgeon. There are plenty of options for pain management out there. But please don't be concerned about taking medication for pain. Your medication helps you get more mobile. There is no reason to struggle through this recovery.
I will have help from family and friends, but am basically by myself
Fear not! Many of us recovered on our own. If you have family or friends who can stop by once a day during your first week or so that's perfect. You don't need anyone around the clock. They will teach you everything you need to know about moving around on your own before you leave the hospital (including up and down stairs).
I'm fearful of my job being absorbed and job security, after being away for so long.
Does your employer have an occupational health department? If not, discuss your return to work with your boss or HR. The recommended time off from work is about 10-12 weeks and then a Phased Return. It might be best if you agree on a plan with your employer before your THR.

Thank you both for your replies :)

Good to hear that you were able to manage well alone Gertie, it's reassuring! My surgeon doesn't recommend a rehab facility, saying it's proven that you recover better at home...and that you move more than at a facility, and that moving is encouraged. I think I'll ask a relative to spend my first night home though, just to see how well ( or not ) I can get around.

Jaycey, thank you for breaking it all down for me. The leg discrepancy was news to me too until I was examined by my surgeon! I'm not sure something like this is the cause or the affect? I mean, has the damaged joint become damaged due to the discrepancy, or is the discrepancy due to the damage? I know these are questions for the surgeon, but I only saw him during the exam and probably won't again until surgery :umm:

As for the medication, I'm hoping to get past my fears...I've been known to fill an RX only to throw it away, but I have a feeling the pain will be my motivator.

I suspect over the next 6 weeks as my fears escalate and surgery looms, I will be posting and reading alot...so thank you in advance for your support and encouragement :)

has the damaged joint become damaged due to the discrepancy
Probably not. In most cases it is arthritis that damages the joint. Your LLD may be due to the joint being damaged - it may have shifted a bit or (as was my case) collapsed. Remind your surgeon on the day. He may be able to even things up.

Keep posting here in the run up to your surgery. It does help ease the nerves.

Wondering... for those that are having / have had the anterior surgery...is the incision on the side of the leg, or more on the front?

Thank you @Jaycey! Obviously I'm still learning my way around here, so I appreciate the link :thumb:

No problem! Happy to help!

As Jaycey suggested, I messaged my surgeon about the LLD and he actually called me to explain and alleviate my fears :thumb:

Apparently the femur on one leg is longer and the tibia on the other is shorter as well...guess I hit the jackpot. He will attempt to make up some of the discrepancy during surgery, but didn't seem concerned. Of course my biggest fear is having this limp afterwards, but he said that it's from the arthritis, not the LLD.

His positive and supportive "bedside manner" has been very helpful and much appreciated...and with surgery only a few weeks away, very comforting...

and that you move more than at a facility,

@Hope56 Interesting that your OS said this. I'm not advocating for rehab by any means but I did find that I moved a lot there and was constantly encouraged to be up and walking--in fact it was almost too much. PT 2x a day, long walk down the hall from my room to the PT area, other walks during the day. At home in my small house, it was all too easy to plop in the chair and when I did get up to walk there wasn't far to go.

Curious if anyone knows...would surgery be postponed if you have a bad cold? It's been going around our office for weeks, and no one seems to stay home when they're sick. So far, I've been lucky enough to avoid it, but the closer it's getting to my surgery date...the more anxious I'm getting that should I come down with whatever this is...I'll have to wait.

would surgery be postponed if you have a bad cold
If you just had sniffles no. But if there is any fever they will postpone your surgery.

You have a way to go until your date. But I would do everything you can to stay away from the bugs and stay healthy. Hard to do when your colleagues are cooperating!

That is something most of us are afraid of especially if we have been waiting for months. At one point I told my director to please leave my office as she stood there coughing over me 2wks before surgery. She kept saying she did not feel sick. Do not be afraid to tell people to please keep their distance if they are sick- explaining of course that you have a major surgery that might be postponed.

Thank you Jaycey and Leejaa...I do try to keep my distance and use hand sanitizers. Fingers crossed!

I also wondered how everyone went about getting the things you needed for post op at home? I called my insurance company and they said I was covered for the toilet riser, tub etc....but that I needed a "code"? The only way I know how to get it coded is to go through the insurance process. Do they do that at the local pharmacy?

I was also told to bring dimensions of the tub / toilet / bed to the hospital and they would tell me what I need by those specs, but I kind of wanted them here so I didn't have to deal with it all post-op.

So confusing when you're trying to dot every "i" and cross every "t" and they all have different instructions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The first time I needed the toilet riser and walker was with my first knee in 2013. Before discharge the hospital had someone come to my room and arrange what I would need and it was delivered there for my husband to take come. I do not believe the insurance wants to OK these things till you have surgery. With the subsequenty surgeries I then had them at home. It would have been nice to have everything all set at home like you are trying to do. I know some people here get it through loan closets or from craigs list to have it ready ahead of time.

Thanks @leejaa. I believe I saw a list somewhere here for things needed post surgery, but I can't find it now. Perhaps someone can post a link?

Well, as surgery draws near, I think I'm handling my anxiety well until I realize all of the questions that keep popping up. And of course, now I notice every lawsuit commercial on metal on metal hip replacements, blood clot medications etc!

Going to start training others to take over my duties at work this week as well, in preparation for surgery, so it's starting to feel very real now....

Happy to have the group to steady the nerves!

Thank you for that @Jaycey. I've bookmarked it for easier reference. So. Let's talk toilet risers lol! I'm assuming a 4" standard will do the trick? Of course we have so many choices, but I'm only looking to use this for the short term, therefore want to purchase the best option for the least amount of money. Most of these items I am finding on Amazon...

Alas, I did catch the office bug and have been home battling this demon for a week and using the much coveted time off that I will need during recovery. I'm taking extra care that it doesn't turn in to something more serious, that would postpone my upcoming surgery in 4 weeks! Blech! :gaah:

@Hope56 Measure your toilet height before buying anything. If it is the same height as a standard dining chair you won't need a riser.

Sorry you caught the nasty bug. Best to get it over and back to health quickly though. Sound like you have plenty of time to put it behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks