Another New Member to this Site - 9 wks post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Don't I know it...what would that make us 80 and blogging??

Hey, we'd be young 80 year olds... and our kids will be our age almost!

Jamie, You will get sore from just limping and favoring the leg. My surgery was on my right knee. I started developing pains in my good knee and my left hip.
Patti had her good knee pop real bad one night and made us worry for her the whole weekend.
Just try not to over do it...

I'm under very strict instructions from my therapist to ONLY walk without the cane if I can do it without limping. I've been good. If I start that "bunny hop" thing, I run (slowly, of course) for my cane. I'm thinking I can finally fold that ol' walker up and send it to the basement! Maybe next week!!!

I still find I use my walker when I go shopping, especially in Wallymart. It has a seat on it if I get too tired. I also use it for long walks as I still limp a lot as I am not straight and not much bend. I feel safer too. I don't lean on it very heavily until I get really tired though. It has 4 wheels not like the one I had in the hospital, it is my mums one, she bought another recently, so Kevin brought it home when he returned from his dad's funeral in January.

The seat would be helpful the first couple of times out to big store. Wish ours had that. It's the old cheapie that Medicare gives you. My hubbie got it with his last back surgery.

my hubby came home with a portable three legged stool today. We can carry it with us when we go hunting, but i can also take it when we go for hikes, etc. That way I can sit and rest anytime, anywhere.

I never used a walker. The hospital staff tried to get me to use one after my knee replacement and we got about 20 feet down the hall and they said, this just doesn't work for you. They ran back to my room and got my crutches and off I went. I've spent about a year of my life on crutches and they are like a second set of legs for me. It's like riding a bicycle, something you never forget. I also have weak wrists and I like the support under my arms with the crutches.

I prefer the crutches, too. I used them for 5-6 months when I had my high tibia osteotomy. Once you get used to them, they are great. Really built up my arm muscles.

Hmmmm.....you got me thinking. I do have an old, old wooden cane that my Dad brought back from Germany in the 1940's. It is the most clever design with a little leather seat that folds up and down to sit on. The end of the cane is a sharp metal tip to poke in the ground for stability. I think I'll use that! That pointy tip might come in handy with muggers in the Walmart parking lot too. In the past we've used it to maneuver on the ice during one of our famous Midwestern ice storms. But this is a good new use for it. My Dad would be proud!

That would be great, Jamie. Like having your dad with you everywhere you go!

You're right, Skeet!!! I always think of him and my Mom skiing in the Alps when I use that cane!

jamie, just be careful with the metal tip on store floors. slippery.

Good point, Jen....maybe I'll see about getting some type of removable rubber tip for my Walmart visits. Thanks for thinking ahead!!! Don't want to end up like Doug!

They have various sizes of rubber tips at Home Depot. Make sure and get rubber, not plastic..
So you won't end up like Doug!!

No cane involved in the fall. And it was a bar chair at the shooting range.
Hey I have an idea. The next time I go you can hold my target for me...

NOW the real story is coming out. He hurt his knee when he FELL OFF A BAR STOOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie