Another New Member to this Site - 9 wks post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be a big day for "firsts." We decided to go buy a new mattress after I had my Coumadin blood test this morning at the doctor. We spent about an hour in the store lying down on mattresses, rolling around, and then hopping to another one. I was able to do most of that moving around the store without my cane even. I was so happy. But......once we got back home I had to ice and take a 2 1/2 hour nap! I guess it will get better each time. Heck, a week ago there was no way I could have done an outing like that!!! We are all doin' so great!!!

Good job sue, that is a good walk. I hope you relax and feel better. i did walk a little more later on. Feels good when I'm up. Knees manuvers ou of chairs is a little less grateful. I read the same thing somewhere ed, walking is the best exercise there is for TKR. Well, guys, I guess that means we are off & running, 20 steps or 2000!

Yes, we got one today. We went to a store that had both the Sleep Number Bed and TempuPedic plus other regular mattresses. While both these mattresses were comfortable, I frankly didn't think they warranted the price tags....2 and 3 times the cost of the one we bought!!! We ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest plush top. We also liked a Sealy Posturepedic, but chose the Simmons one because of the "individual coils." Having those means when one of us tosses at night, it doesn't disturb the other person as much. We're happy and it's coming tomorrow. So only one more night on the couch for me! Hooray!!!

I ask because I think we are going to upgrade to a king in the next 6 months. We have a 4 inch memory foam topper now and I like it, but I agree. Tempurpedic is way too much $. Enjoy your new sleeps!

Thanks, Jenn.....I can't wait!!! Hopefully no more Night Stalker!!!

Hi ya Barb welcome :O) im right at 6 weeks post op and i sure know what ya mean about stamina i have lost mine not sure ima gonna find it either LOL ..... but im still a hopin ..just wanted to welcome ya here and tell ya you will be added to my prayers and hugggggggggggggggggggsssssss from ILLINOIS ....... JIM :O)

jb, the stanima comes. Slowly but surly it comes. Like everything else, you do have to work for it but try and make it fun. As soon as the knee and weather allows, the more you move it the better it gets.

i think ya hit it on the head Doug weather is a big big factor for all of us i think...and as far as my knee and stuff i am ahead of the game so says mt pt im bending right at 120 and 0 on stretch but boy i do get tired but realize it to will get better but then again only been 6 weeks ..... JIM :O)

I walked again today (that's the idea right?) a little further today. Knees ok, back says "we gotta do what?". plus the cane I think adds a bump and a hitch to my gait. i really don't use it for support. More for balance. I'll keep using it though. The info they gave me says to use it as long as you are limping. it was much warmer and reminded me of why I wanted the timing of surgery I did. So by the time i was out walking it would be warm and lovely, not hot and stiffling or cold and bitter. What a blessing to not have the knees hurt. And as I've heard all you not as newbies, better every week. Less drugs and pain, more life.

Jenn,
I used the cane this past weekend with my family..I think it was more of a security cane than anything else. Plus, I could hit my son and nephew with it if they got cocky.

Yeah, more people assumed my cane is for keeping my hubby in line. (Little do they know how right they are!) It actually more than a 3rd leg, it's become an extra ar & hand. Good for reaching, pushing scratching...

I totally agree. If you drop something on the floor, you can pull it over to you.
I have carved walking staffs and canes for years. Little did I know I would ever actually need one.

Jennifer:

Congratulations on anothe good walk, but it is amazing the way every time you do a new exercise (like walking, bending, balancing) which you've done a zillion times before, some part of your body goes "hey, I thought we were never going to do this again"

edk....that is SO very true! It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing that!!! Now that I'm walking more without my cane, I am really noticing "new" muscles with aches and pains. I think that's a good sign, though. It's a good hurt.

Jamie, You will get sore from just limping and favoring the leg. My surgery was on my right knee. I started developing pains in my good knee and my left hip.
Patti had her good knee pop real bad one night and made us worry for her the whole weekend.
Just try not to over do it...

Yeah, now what am I going to blame things on?

Good advice, Doug. I have noticed some pains in my good knee that I never realized I had when my new knee was old and painful. Hope that doesn't mean I'll need to do this again. My left knee was injured playing fast pitch softball and I'm hoping that my other knee won't ever need replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member