Reverse Shoulder Replacement Another new joint

Debbie_joints

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone..
Everything went ok. Nerve block lasted almost 24 hours,now i have some pain. they gave me tramadol and it eases it some. Icing will help too. Time to get moved to the other board. thanks for the well wishes.

Welcome to Recovery and Best Wishes!

I moved your post over the the Recovery Forum. Let us know if you want a different title and we’ll change it for you. :flwrysmile:

@Debbie_joints , welcome to the other side, so good to hear everything went well and the nerve block lasted that long, ice will become your new best friend. Take it easy and best of luck for a smooth recovery. Take care and stay safe.

Those nerve blocks can be amazing - until they wear off. :yikes: lots of ice and rest and healing for now! Let others be at your beck and call for a bit.

Glad to hear it is over with and you are on the road to recovery.
Take those pain meds and be gentle on yourself.
Keep us posted on how it is going.

Went to my first OT appointment. Nervous that it would hurt, but she was so gentle. Got a list of excercises to do three times a day. Just cant wait to get the ok to be able to take a real shower. I do get in the shower, but have the shower head way low. My husband changed my bandage the other day and there was no drainage. So all is going well so far.

Glad to hear you are doing well. Hopefully you aren’t in a lot of pain still.
I was lucky that a had a waterproof bandage and could shower right away.
Take care and keep us posted on how it is going.

@Debbie_joints , so glad everything is going well, just take it easy and don’t over due therapy, make sure you ice afterwards. You will be able to shower soon. Take care and stay safe.

I was given the wrong instructions after surgery. Since it was arthroscopic, I was supposed to be able to shower so they sent me home with that. They didn't take into account that they'd had to extend the incision to about 3 inches so I wasn't supposed to shower. I covered with clingwrap anyway so no harm. I skipped my 2 week follow-up (with Dr permission) and had DIL take out staples. When they told me at 4 week I could start showering, they were surprised I'd been doing it from day 1!

As said, be care ful with therapy. It is important with shoulders but very important to communicate with therapist about any pain: type (stretchy, stabby, burning, etc), severity, when start, when end, what makes better or worse. It helps the therapist to better tailor therapy to your needs. And lots of ice after!

That's good to hear. Sometimes the pain isn't immediate, though. It can start hours later or escalate in the hours after therapy.

Hi Debbie , just thinking of you and wondering how you are doing?
Hope therapy is going good.

@Patee , Hi, everything is going fine so far. Still only doing passive therapy. Not taking any pain pills except tylenol. I am sleeping in bed with a wedge pillow and another foam pillow under the wedge to make it higher. The one thing we have going on in my family is that my 98 year old mother is dying and now on hopice care. So trying to get all my exercises in even when sitting with her. My mom isn't eating or drinking anything much at all. So just a little stress going on here. She has lived a long good life.

How are you doing?

Hi Debbie, sorry for delay in responding. We were away and had almost non existent signal on my cell and no internet.
So sorry to hear your Mom is not doing well. So tough no matter their age. I spent time at hospice with my Mom and it is not an easy thing to do. You are in my thoughts.
It sounds like your shoulder is coming along good. You are almost at the one month mark. Are you still in a sling?
I am doing okay. I slacked of on my exercises while we were away so need to get back in routine. The therapist thought I was doing well last time I saw her. I see the surgeon on Thursday so will see what he has to say. I only have one more therapy session so I planned it for after I see the Dr. in case there is an area he feels needs work.
Take care of yourself and keep me posted.

@Patee I am struggling a bit here. Mom went downhill so fast and died on Sunday. I spent the night with her on Saturday and she didn't have a recliner. Not the most comfortable night, maybe slept for 20 minutes. But glad I was with her, her last night. My brother and sister were with her when she died on Sunday. The funeral is this week already. Visitation on Wed and funeral on Thursday. Anyway, I had to cancel my therapy for this week, but next weeks therapy is on Monday already so will get back in the swing again. Had to chastise two of my brothers when it came to hugging me as they both patted me hard on the shoulder too and I was even wearing the big pillow sling. I will be wearing it for the visitation and funeral in hopes that people don't hug hard. It will be different without having to go check on my mom or call her. Now me and my siblings are the old ones.

@Debbie_joints , sry to hear about your mom but sounds like she lived a full life. Take care of yourself. Glad things are going well with your recovery. Still early in recovery so stay safe.

So sorry to hear, my sincere condolences. It never is easy. I still miss my Mom and she passed 17 years ago. A blessing you could be with her close to the end.
Like you said she had a good life. She is at peace now.
Be easy on yourself. Do what you can but in the big scheme of things a few days missed therapy is not going to be a big deal.
I hope the service went okay and people respected your space. Sorry for the tardy response. I don’t get notifications when I have a post and not sure where to change the settings.
You are in my thoughts.

@tazzy13 and @Patee, thank you. Got through the visitation and funeral. But a terrible thing happened, the morning of the visitation, one of my brothers tested possitive to covid. We had of course been all together so we scrambled for tests and the rest of us all tested negative. But of course my brother could not come. We all wore maskes and told people just in case they didn't want to be around us. He did get on the medicine and is doing well now, sounds a little gruff yet, but doing ok. He did come out to the cemetery and watched from afar. So sad. Family was all home so we got all the thank yous written. I was in charge of sticking the labels and stamps on. Let my arm dangle between cards. Feels good to be icing it more. Back to OT on Monday, kept up good with my home therapy.

Hmmm…. I posted a response but doesn’t appear to be here.
Sure hope you managed to not get Covid, you sure don’t need that.
Hope everyone is doing okay.
How did you make out with your physio when you saw your therapist? I hope it is going okay.
I saw the surgeon a couple of weeks ago and was given the all clear. He was happy with my progress. I had my last physio yesterday so now it is up to me to continue with my exercises. I have to admit I have been slacking off in that area but will try to do better. I can’t quite get my arm behind my back and the surgeon said I might not get back to that point but I am hoping to prove him wrong. I am almost there.

Take care of yourself. How is your progress going? When do you see the surgeon?

@Patee thank God I didn't get Covid. My brother's wife and son did get it, but not bad. I didn't hear of any of the people that attended the visitation or funeral that got it. Sure didn't want to be labeled the super spreader funeral. The therapist said I was doing fine even though I missed a week. I could actually reach up and do my hair today. I think the new exercises she is having me do are helping. She hasn't had me do any reaching in back of me yet. They are being so careful not to over use the bicep seeing it was attached in the middle of my arm instead of the shoulder. I see my surgeon on Wednesday. I am actually hoping he aproves me for more therapy. My therapist said 8 to 12 weeks. So for sure I go to the end of the month.

Don't neglect your exercises, we have to get this past just being ok and not hurting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts