Reverse Shoulder Replacement Another new joint

Debbie_joints

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I am an old BoneSmart member. Started with my right hip replacement, then left knee replacement, then the right knee replaced. BoneSmart really helped me get through the surgery and healing process. Telling me to say no to a manipulation under anesthesia for my first knee at only 5 weeks the therapist thought I needed it. I fired him and found someone new and it took a couple more months but we did it.

So now I am going to be needing a right should replacement. I have been dealing with arthritis in that shoulder for over ten years. Did cortisone injections for a few years and then found an alternative therapy lady. She did nerve tracing. Said she got her training in Canada. She stuck her fingers into my shoulder and worked her magic and it worked. Shoulder felt great and would see her once a year when we were in AZ for the winter. But when Covid hit, she retired and moved away.

So I was noticing the shoulder was acting up a bit again, but not horrible. Grandson came to visit while we were still in AZ and he wanted me to ride his new electic bike. I told him no, that I better not. But he asked a couple more times. So all I did was sit on it and decided that I better not try it. So I went to get off and must have hit the throttle and I lost my balance and fell down. A quick look around to see if anyone saw me (how embarrassing) I sat up, and then thought, ok, this fat old grandma has to get up now. I didn't think I got hurt, but went to move and my right arm would not move even an inch. Nothing. Scared me but good. My husband and grandson helped me get up. We were leaving to drive our motor home back home the following week, so really didn't want to go to a doctor there.

I contacted my primary back at home and kept her informed on what happened and what I should do. The park that we stay at has a retired EMT that did check me over and he said he didn't think anything was broken. So my primary wanted me to go to therapy. Went there when I got home and the therapist told me right away that I needed to be seen by ortho. An MRI was ordered first and had that done. I have a two inch complete tear and with the years of arthritis, he told me he could just do a rotator cuff repair and clean out the arthritis, or get a reverse right shoulder replacement. He told me just doing the rotator cuff repair that I might not be happy with it and then end up going through replacement anyway. Decided to get it done and go with the replacement. It isn't scheduled until June 28th. I have gotten some movement back, but some things really hurt to do. So anyway, decided to come back here and see what other shoulder people are going through.

Oh @Debbie_joints what a shock that throttle mistake must have been.. but isn't it great that shoulder replacements are becoming mainstream and you have options?
Welcome back and I will ask one of the moderators to add your new surgery date to your signature.

@Debbie_joints Welcome back to BoneSmart! Our shoulder forum is filling up fast. And several of my colleagues do have first hand experience with shoulder replacement so if you have questions - ask away!

Welcome back @Debbie_joints . I had a rotator cuff repair instead of shoulder replacement but surgeon said he'd recommend replacement if there had been any significant arthritis. It may not be the way you want to go, but it probably the right course of action for you at this point.

Take care of yourself as you wait for surgery! We'll be here for you.

@Debbie_joints , start practicing with the left hand as much as you can it will be an easier transition for you. Wishing you the best of luck, see you on the recovering side .

@Debbie_joints , Best of luck on your surgery tomorrow. See you on the other side. Take care and stay safe.

Wishing for you an easy as possible day tomorrow! We are rooting for you!

Hope surgery went well and you are able to get some rest and pain relief. Take care and speedy recovery.

I am an old BoneSmart member. Started with my right hip replacement, then left knee replacement, then the right knee replaced. BoneSmart really helped me get through the surgery and healing process. Telling me to say no to a manipulation under anesthesia for my first knee at only 5 weeks the therapist thought I needed it. I fired him and found someone new and it took a couple more months but we did it.

So now I am going to be needing a right should replacement. I have been dealing with arthritis in that shoulder for over ten years. Did cortisone injections for a few years and then found an alternative therapy lady. She did nerve tracing. Said she got her training in Canada. She stuck her fingers into my shoulder and worked her magic and it worked. Shoulder felt great and would see her once a year when we were in AZ for the winter. But when Covid hit, she retired and moved away.

So I was noticing the shoulder was acting up a bit again, but not horrible. Grandson came to visit while we were still in AZ and he wanted me to ride his new electic bike. I told him no, that I better not. But he asked a couple more times. So all I did was sit on it and decided that I better not try it. So I went to get off and must have hit the throttle and I lost my balance and fell down. A quick look around to see if anyone saw me (how embarrassing) I sat up, and then thought, ok, this fat old grandma has to get up now. I didn't think I got hurt, but went to move and my right arm would not move even an inch. Nothing. Scared me but good. My husband and grandson helped me get up. We were leaving to drive our motor home back home the following week, so really didn't want to go to a doctor there.

I contacted my primary back at home and kept her informed on what happened and what I should do. The park that we stay at has a retired EMT that did check me over and he said he didn't think anything was broken. So my primary wanted me to go to therapy. Went there when I got home and the therapist told me right away that I needed to be seen by ortho. An MRI was ordered first and had that done. I have a two inch complete tear and with the years of arthritis, he told me he could just do a rotator cuff repair and clean out the arthritis, or get a reverse right shoulder replacement. He told me just doing the rotator cuff repair that I might not be happy with it and then end up going through replacement anyway. Decided to get it done and go with the replacement. It isn't scheduled until June 28th. I have gotten some movement back, but some things really hurt to do. So anyway, decided to come back here and see what other shoulder people are going through.
Hey Debbie checking in to see how you're doing. LIke you I majored in hip replacements - multiple revisions, dislocations, infections and finally girdlestone for my left hip (removal of replacement and no left hip joint permanently). Discovered 2 of 4 rotator cuff tendons completely torn and inoperable. RIght shoulder is shot due to arthritis and needing reverse total shoulder replacement - not sure if I should go ahead with it - 58 now. How easy are these replacements to dislocate?

@koala78 sounds like you had a tough go of it. I don't know how easy shoulder replacements are to dislocate. Sure hope we don't have to wrap our selves in bubble wrap. I do know of one lady that did it, but she was slinging a heavy bag of garbage and threw it and it popped out. Hope it doesn't happen to me.

@koala78 If you start a thread for your self over in the shoulder pre op area you probably will get more input on your concerns. From what I understand ( I have 2 standard shoulder replacements so no personal experience with the reverse replacement) the reverse has more stringent limitations just because it is used primarily to address the rotator cuff problems you mentioned when those are paired with arthritis problems. So there would probably be restricitons on how much weight you can lift, and perhaps limitations on some types of movement. Do ask your surgeon about what limits YOU would have since that person knows your history and the current problems with your shoulder.

Oh @Debbie_joints what a shock that throttle mistake must have been.. but isn't it great that shoulder replacements are becoming mainstream and you have options?
Welcome back and I will ask one of the moderators to add your new surgery date to your signature.
Hi Debbie an op on my shoulder went well then a fall on the stairs messed everything up so couple of Years on after phisio didn’t work and now waiting on the 3rd attempt to do a reverse shoulder op on my dominant right shoulder . Well what you have said about a 2” tear mine is a 2” tear and my surgeon says it’s just too long to repair so he said the alternative IS a new shoulder .
I hope mine op and your op goes well , chat to you on the other side .
Take care Nervous Steve

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom