Another milestone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie73

graduate
Country
United States United States
Part of recovery is the simple pleasure I get from just accomplishing a new milestone. I have not been able to walk upstairs/downstairs going leg over leg since September of 2008. It was such a joy this week to go up the stairs "normally". BTW without pain!!!! My leg is still a little weak but I accomplished the task with a smile on my face.

Kathy

Kathy, what a wonderful milestone for you. Congratulations!!! More good things are coming....

Yeh Kathy...High Five..lol. Congradulations. Thanks for posting, gives me hope. I will do that soon, I hope.......Great job...Be proud !!!Keep posting...

:wahey: Yippee Skippeee! Awesome milestone, Kathy. I'm sooo happy for you.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess we all appreciate those milestones. Add to the stairs, I am walking around the house without the cane!! I still can't handle the uneven pavement outside but I sure am seeing progress. LOL and my muscles are telling me I am making progress.

Texas, don't worry you will get there too.

Those particular steps (if you'll pardon the pun!) are so very uplifting and seem to important. I know I was really made up when I first did the stairs thing! Such a breakthrough!

Fabulous, I was thrilled too when I boldly marched up the stairs and it just kind of happened....actually I forgot about the Hip(!!!!!) and just walked up the stairs...and when I got to the top I realised what I had done!!!!
Well done Kathy, before too long the uneven surfaces will be ok too...you'll be just like the suspension in a car you'll negotiate it without even realising that you are...and isn't it a sense of liberation when you don't need the stick just to go to the loo or to get a cup of tea!
Well done and keep it up!!!
Rachel

I hope so..When I look in the mirror my one calf muscle looks good. When I look at the other ...wow I cant see it at all. It is so different. I am working on it but the next day ...ugh..But I guess if I want results gotta keep going...Your are doing great. When you stopped the cane did the muscles feel sore for awhile...because of no full weight for so long. ?

Hi Kathy
That's fantastic news :thmb::D:D

These milestones seem to really drive us on don't they!
And it's funny how people take things like walking up and down stairs pain fee and unaided for granted.
That is one thing I have learned through all of this process - what a joy it is to pain free....
I never realised how much my pain was dictating my life, presumably because it built up slowly over time....but since my THR I now relish the fact that I can do exactly what other people can do now - fantastic :thmb::D:D

Here's to many many more milestones for us all :wahey::wahey::wahey::wink:

Regards
Andy

I hope so..When I look in the mirror my one calf muscle looks good. When I look at the other ...wow I cant see it at all. It is so different. I am working on it but the next day ...ugh..But I guess if I want results gotta keep going...Your are doing great. When you stopped the cane did the muscles feel sore for awhile...because of no full weight for so long. ?

I have a lot of problems with the muscles in my thigh and groin. I still did those stairs though even with the tightness. LOL

After walking around the house without the cane I get tired,tight muscles and have to go back on the cane. Ususally it is one day with the cane until dinner time and then the next day on the cane all day.

I have started a new theraputic massage for the muscles in addition to the regular PT stretching. PT tells me most of my problems stem from how bad my groin muscles and thigh muscles were before surgery. I see my OS on Tuesday and I hope to get more info on how I am doing.

Kathy, I think what your PT is telling you will be echoed by your surgeon. It takes a while to undo all the muscle adjustments your body made before surgery to accommodate your bad joint. This is where you have to just keep at it and be patient. Actually, I think it sounds like you're doing VERY well for this stage of recovery. You are less than a month out. Things will improve for you - honest!

I walked a mile today with cane. I don't use the cane around the house and can now go up and down stairs normally. I still have to take a nap every day but I'm thinking that is normal or within acceptable norms at 3-4 wks post-op.

Sure is Tommy..... Snooze away!

Tommy! After what you've been going through, enjoy your naps!

Hey Webbie, How are you. You know you will get tired but you are doing it and thats great ..........It will take a while on those muscles, my calf muscle looks...yuck...lol...Are those massages really working...I was thinking about trying that but wanted to see what you thought............

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker