THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether I can do a backbend and whether I should are two different questions. A PT friend calls poses like that her ticket to permanent job security. It's really not an appropriate move for most people, especially for those of us who are... ahem.... beyond a certain age.

Ann, that's the advantage of working at a health club. I get free access to cool fitness toys. Agreed that they are quite overpriced for what they are.

alexthecat You work at a health club? Nice. Can you get us a discount on anything? Just kidding, we are on free delivery from Amazon and Mr.Vida is addicted to ordering things online, especially anything fitness related. I got a pedometer as a gift this morning (in the mail of course) and am very proud that I did 8,600 steps on the very first day. 10,000 here I come: I too can be classed as 'active.' Maybe. At some point....

I have a part-time gig at a health club, as a personal trainer. I also have a normal, grown-up job that pays the bills. Can't get you a discount on anything, but the best deals I find on fitness equipment is at garage sales. A lot of people buy things on impulse and then decide that they don't really want them.

I have a garage full of fitness equipment that is destined to be sold off now that I have my Nordic walking sticks....

It's really not an appropriate move for most people, especially for those of us who are... ahem.... beyond a certain age.

On the back bend -- like beyond the age of about 12, I'm thinking...:heehee:

Garage sales are great for exercise equipment and also Craigslist and Freecycle if you have either of those in your areas. I live in an area where you can sometimes find amazing things at the curb on trash day as well as in the local thrift shops.

Hey, here's a graphic on the psoas for you Judy bottomshollow I am like you and find it helpful to have visual aids!!

Don't know if anyone else has this issue, but I don't have a lesser throchanter on the femur of my CHD/THR leg, as exhibited on my x-rays. So, I think this must also impact on my psoas length as that boney spot is where the psoas inserts on the leg bone. :rolleyes:

awww.zenkiyoga.com_members_images_113.jpg

Take care,
Cardie

Cardie C Mac, thanks for the picture of the psoas, obviously much better than my little write up,which I copied and pasted straight from the net.lol. I don't really understand it myself so no way could I put it into laymans words.

Interesting about the lesser trochanter, I have no idea what that is you understand but I wonder if mine has been affected, will google it and if I can understand it will peruse my Xrays.

I wish we had garage sales here, we do have car boot sales though which I love to go to. It's great to have a good mooch around other peoples stuff!

My news is I got my legs measured yesterday by biomechanics lady. I was delighted to be told there is only a half cm difference, what a fab job my OS done there considering it was at least two inches pre op. I thought it was quite a bit more as when I look in the mirror my left side seems to drop much more than only that !! I am a bit perplexed as to how this is having such a bad effect on my back though...the waking up pain is back with a vengeance unfortunately. I didn't go walking for two days running last week and didn't have the back pain the following two mornings so it must be the walking that's doing it but the strange thing is it doesn't hurt at any other time but the morning after.

Anyway, she is ordering me a heel raise for inside my shoe...sigh, here we go again.....which I am actually keen to try to see if it helps. She did say she could get the sole of flips raised for the summer too but I am not going down that road again, I will suffer the pain now I have experienced the pleasure of having open footwear in the summer.

Ann, a new hippy posted these exercises that his doc gave him to help avoid lower back pain. I've been doing them every morning for the past five days, and glory be.....they are working for me! It takes me less than two minutes in bed before I get up....really a set of stretches to wake up the muscles, I think. Anyway, perhaps it will help ease some pain for you too. Scroll down to post #13
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/on-the-other-side.19143/

Vida 8600 steps. I am so impressed. I really need to dig out my pedometer. Perhaps you will be my inspiration. :)

Sharon

sharonslp To be honest, I've had it about 2 weeks now and that's as far as I've been able to get. Sadly it is absolute rubbish when it comes to monitoring my time on the stationary bike. So I figure with that 45 minutes, plus the 7,500-8,500 steps (if its not raining, I am a bit of a wuss) I am doing very well indeed given my rocky start. I've never inspired anyone when it comes to fitness, so your comment made me feel pretty proud of myself!

Hi Ann. Half a cm? That's fantastic. So I guess you have to somehow realign your pelvis? It is constantly on my mind and I think I've willed myself to straighten up etc. etc. I also experience the lower back ache, can't call it a pain but it is there at the end of a walk, especially if it involved even a slight incline. I find heat helps with that -- go figure. I will also do the exercises that mondo_caine posted and report back. X

Hi Ann,

So tell us more about how the biomechanic lady evaluated you.... standing up, lying down, watching you walk? Did she look at your back/spine/pelvis alignment? I think we hashed over the notion of going to see a chiropractor a while back -- any additional thoughts on trying that out???

Meantime, at my PT I do some stuff that *might* help to elongate my short muscles of my side body & back in attempt to untwist my twisted parts. Leaning towards your long leg side to stretch the short side muscles.

ai.ehow.com_images_a04_lb_id_lose_belly_fat_through_yoga_1.1_800x800.jpg

Reach throughs -- I don't use a foam roller and I bend and twist more deeply than this person, I also don't keep my elbow straight on the reaching arm:
ReachThrough_5.png

Sometimes low back pain can also be related to lordosis -- which is just a fancy way of saying that you arch your lower back and stick your bum out a bit further than suggested. So, next time you are walking the dogs and cracking the walnuts try to tuck your tailbone under a bit (like a dog tucks it's tail between it's legs when scared) and hold your tummy tightened a bit. This is another thing that I wonder whether the biomechanics gal or maybe when you were doing PT that they evaluated for??

Just a thought, if you continue to have low back pain and don't want to try the chiro then get referred back to another PT that can eval you for hip and back both so you get a slightly different scope of focus.

We have a lot of work to do, I know, but our situation is rather all encompassing....
Take care,
Cardie

Thankyou Sharon sharonslp ...I will check ou that thread...I'm willing to give anying a shot and so pleased to hear the exercises are working for you. That must feel great not to have that pain when getting up. I had a couple of months where I was able to jump out of bed ready to face the world and what a great feeling that was.....alas not these days! How are you now, are you still having success with it?

Vicki, Vida this realigning my pelvis thing still has me puzzled, to be honest, even though I do all the walking things and exercises etc I am still confuddled about all of that pelvis stuff. How are the morning exercises going for you now? You are doing so well with the steps, I certainly wasn't doing as much as you this far out. You arn't even six months out yet and remember the time thing, a year to eighteen months to be fully healed and functioning at your best. You are really doing so well :)

Cardie, well, the biomechanics woman got me to stand straight then looked at my lower back spine and prodded either side with her fingers( hope you understand all this technical talk.lol) . Then I sat on the bed with my bum against the backrest and she put her thumbs at the same point under my knees then again on my ankle bone and compared the two...then said yep definitely 5 to 6mm difference. I didn't walk for her, she didn't ask me to. That was it, they don't go into much here in the UK, well not what I have experienced,just do the basics, just measured and said she would order me the raise.

Still not sure about the chiropractor and as for PT I think I can whistle for that.....it took a heck of a lot to get it in the first place after THR, don't think I will be able to get any more from the NHS. I do feel though between my PT and you gals on BS I have a lot of knowledge of exercises to help me so I will keep plugging away at them.

Thanks for the stretches, will give them a go. Think I need to go back to the beginning and write out a proper exercise chart as there are so many but all of them are beneficial, just can't fit them all in, well, I could but it would take up half my day.lol.

I feel as if I need some motivation at the minute. Still walking every day but with my good hip aching now I have got a little laxidasical in my exercise habits just doing a bit of this and a bit of that. I guess that is normal as we get more busy because we are able to do more but I really want to be motivated to continue with the exercises every day. It's a very slippery slope once we think..oh I will have a day off today and do them tomorrow, then the same happens the next day and so on.

I needed that reminder about the walking thanks. I have found that sometimes when I am really really concentrating on keeping my tailbone in and cracking those walnuts that my operated leg aches and it is still quite an effort. It is so easy to kind of relax and go back to my old style which is easier but not good for my body. When doing some exercises...like when I stand on the bottom stair with my operated leg and do some of those droppy things....sorry getting all technical again :heehee: my operated leg still feels weak. Just walking is definitely not enough for me obviously!

Toodles for now

Hi Annie,
So much has been happening and all these exercises to do. We just have to plug along and hope we get the desired effect some time soon.
Keep working at it
Jyoti :flwrysmile:

Hey Ann, so sorry you are feeling a little blah.... Also its too bleepy bad that your good hip is causing you grief. I understand the frustration, I get very snookered by my knee (on the good leg,) which makes the good leg feel like the bad leg, if you follow my logic. Frankly, I barely notice my hip these days, so yes, I have been very, very fortunate. I do miss the bike if I don't do it daily, think things start to stiffen up again quite quickly. Its as if the bike gives me a lube job, allowing the walking really to get everything moving. I think I will always have to seriously concentrate on my gait as the minute I forget to focus on one little bit of the heel/toe, back straight, tum in, clench bum, boobs out, head up, eyes forward, swing arms, my leg wanders off to the side. But as I had bad abductors going in, thems the breaks. As I get older and more dotty, it is quite likely that I will start to limp as I am bound to forget the long list of things to do in order to walk straight! As Cardie points out, keeping your abdomen (even if its tubby like mine) pulled in while walking definitely helps straighten everything else. By the way, I can do 6 clam shells! That's it. Then it REALLY hurts. To be honest, I am not sure how much muscle strength I can recover... I also abandoned leg presses last week. However my inner thighs are back in shape, I attribute that to the bike.

Oh yes, those lower back exercises done in bed have really helped with the lower back pain. Love Vicki xx

Vida 45 minutes on the stationary bike is somewhere between 3000 and 4000 pedal strokes. Between that and all the walking, you are doing very well, indeed.

It's normal to feel like the stationary bike loosens up your hip and makes it more comfortable. The soft tissue deep in your hip is still busily healing. I know you look and feel all healed up on the outside, but this is really big surgery. I think you'll be surprised where you are in another six months.

Vicki,Vida I still have to focus on my walking all of the time too or else I know I limp. Getting my new heel raise tomorrow so shall see if that helps. Very envious of your taught inner thighs, how fab that the bike has tightened them up, it's finding the motivation to keep at it that's the hard thing but I'm sure you will manage that..those bikes do come in handy as a temporary clothes horse if you get fed up though.lol.

Charity shop job sorted so looking forward to that, just have to have an induction first then off we go.

Alex alexthecat got a new game for you....candy crush, it is very addictive :)

One of my buddies on Facebook is trying to get me to play Candy Crush. I'm staying away from it so far. I've been doing Hungry Shark.

Ann: big congrats on the charity shop gig. That should be a lot of fun. I used to do the resale shops whenever I'd go to New York, always got amazing buys. (Although the clothes donated by ladies who lunch mostly come in sizes zero to 4 and I am a 12 and boobalicious.) But I could always find something. My DH bought a very fancy unused man's Italian wool coat, normally going for around 2100 bucks, for $120. He was thrilled. He has only worn it once, to a funeral but he was so impressed with his designer purchase. I always bought my corporate drag at gently used places because I hated wearing it and paying for it and my daughter also got the bug ...only she liked to shop at Value Village, which gives me cooties just walking through the door. Now she's over it and into outlets. Make sure you get some good stuff to fit your soon to be tight butt. Yes, I will send a photo when mine looks reasonable. But how will you know its mine? Hmmmmm..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks