BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

ankle Ankle fusion surgery yesterday

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements discussion forum' started by denver18, Mar 1, 2018.

1. denver18

denver18 new member

United States United States
    Good morning to everyone! I am home recovering from surgery and everything seems to be going well. I was hoping people would offer me tips and mention things they wished they would have done differently. So far hardest thing for me try to figure out is my small bathroom and tub being pretty close to toilet. Also get hiccups a lot. Thank you all and hope to hear back.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome, denver18 !

I think many of our articles about recovering from a knee replacement also apply to an ankle fusion, so I'll give them to you. Just ignore the articles that don't seem appropriate.

For the first month or so, you need to spend much of your time resting, with your ankle iced and elevated, to help reduce swelling and let it heal. Take your pain medications on a regular schedule, too.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I live in New Zealand and it is already March 2nd here, so I am a little confused as to what date you had your ankle fusion. Please will you confirm whether it was on February 28 or March 1? Many thanks! :flwrysmile:

4. denver18

denver18 new member

Thank you for the response. It is March 1st evening right now. Had surgery yesterday.

5. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hi, denver and welcome to BoneSmart!!! Since we're primarily a hip and knee forum, you may not find a lot of ankle fusion patients here right now to talk with. But.....we have a great family of folks who will still encourage you and support you through your recovery. As Celle said, the recovery process will be much the same as for a knee replacement, so do take a look at the articles she posted for you. The main thing right now is to rest and allow your body the time it needs to heal properly.

Since you'll be resting a lot, why not skip over to the hip and knee recovery forums and find some folks there to talk with? Many of them are having some interesting recoveries and I think the interaction will be helpful for you even if they aren't ankle replacements!

6. ACDCJen

ACDCJen graduate

Hope you are doing well post-surgery.

Jen