THR And now the healing begins

@wander03, I'm wondering -- how is it going, now you're back to work? Are you finding it fairly easy to pace yourself through your day? I've been thinking of you. (Today I went into the office a few hours since it was Election Day here for primary elections, and I was able to help manage a few facility requests during those hours since we're a polling location. Thankfully I didn't need to be there start to end!)

@NextStep It wasn’t that easy Monday morning. I got involved and worked 2 hours and 50 minutes without getting out of my office chair. When I stood up, I was quite stiff, and it took me a while to straighten up. However, after that, I was more successful in pacing myself. I ended up working 6 1/2 hours yesterday.

I had worked about three hours today, with a break in the middle, before I had physical therapy. After therapy, I watched episode 5 of Season 4 of Virgin River on Netflix while I ate lunch. Then I ended up binge watching episodes 5 through 12, the rest of the season. Oops. It was well after 11:00 PM when that was over. Since I think I need to work a minimum of four hours a day, I’ll need to make up an hour tomorrow.

I have found that I need to get up every hour or so to straighten out my body. Sitting in my lift chair reclined seems to be the best way to do that. Tomorrow I plan to be more methodical in my working and breaks. I need to since I‘ll probably continue working for a while. Of course, as time goes on, it will become less difficult to sit for extended periods.

Today (well, now it was yesterday/Tuesday) it has been five weeks since your surgery, as mine was five weeks ago Monday. It seems that we are doing pretty well in our recoveries. It sounds like you did well for the few hours you were in the office. Do you plan to start going in every day? Do you feel like you need to?

Hello Wander, your description of your day sounds like you are coming along. Keep up your positive attitude and seek to make small progress each day.

Yes, stretch breaks are great! I need to get up and move after sitting at a desk, every one to two hours depending on the time of day and the comfort of the chair.

This week I will be at the office two or three days, but not every day. I shall see how it goes.

I’m sorry but you guys are giving me anxiety attacks talking about returning to work!!! At five weeks!!! I loved my job as an X-ray tech but dealing with co-workers gave me anxiety! I retired as soon as I could and never looked back!

I am very thankful that I could totally concentrate on my recovery without panicking about returning to work. I understand that many people thrive on the work stimulation but not me!

I'm thankful to have two different "jobs", both flexible part time contract type situations where I can largely adjust my days and hours as needed. I enjoy both. In both settings I am blessed to have those who care about my well-being so if anything they add accountability to rest as I needed.

@Zoebichon If I had to go to an office, I probably would not be working at five weeks. Since I work in my home office, I don’t really have any stress. Although I don’t particularly thrive on the work stimulation as I did years ago, I do enjoy the mental stimulation. However the main reason I’m working is for money to use for things that I can’t do with just Social Security, although I receive a very nice SS. I am an Independent Petroleum Landman and am paid a very nice day rate. If I work, I get paid, based on up to eight hours a day. Nevertheless, if I did not enjoy what I’m doing, I would not be working. I did not work for about three years and was not working when I had the TKR or the right THR, and it was very nice not to be at all concerned about anything but recovering. I definitely agree with you on that. I did feel a bit of self-imposed pressure after the first couple of weeks this time, but after I sent Joel and Angel an email concerning my recovery, as they had requested, and Joel just asked me to keep him informed weekly or so concerning my progress, I relaxed a bit. And being able to work only four to six hours a day if I want to makes working comfortable. I had been at my desk a couple of hours, and when I got up, my hip requested that I take a break, so I’m sitting in my lift chair for a while. Then I’ll do a bit more work this evening. For me, it’s the best of both worlds, working and not working.

I saw Dr. Bradshaw on Tuesday for my 6-week checkup. Everything is fine. I asked him about my knee since it has been over a year since Dr. Evans did the replacement. Dr. Bradshaw moved my knee around and back and forth. There was a barely discernable click when he moved it to the right. He said that is related to the size of the spacer and showed me the x-ray and where the spacer is. He said one cannot bend ones knee if the spacer is too big, and when the spacer is a bit smaller than would be "perfect," it makes a sound like mine. He said they always try for it to be perfect, but it isn't always. Of course there is nothing that can be done about it short of redoing the entire replacement, which he does not recommend and which I have no intention of doing. That, however, is not causing the tension/tightness in my knee. I told him that Chris has given my some additional exercises to try to address the problem. He said to stay with those and see if they help. He said his mother had a knee replacement, and she complained about her knee feeling like that were rubber bands around it. That could be similar to my situation. He said it took a couple of years for it to really improve. When I asked if she was able to walk unassisted after two years, he did not actually answer that question. I did not press for an answer. When he was talking about her complaining, he said that he is glad he didn't do her surgery. You bet! He's having me come back in three months.

I was supposed to have two more weeks of therapy, one session a week and a discharge appointment the second week. However, since we can address my knee situation better since I've had my hip replacements, Chris plans to extend the therapy for one or two months; I don't remember which. With the additional exercises, I hope there will be improvement. I told Dr. Bradshaw that I just want to be able to walk unassisted and to vaccum my house. He said that is not unreasonable; that he has patients that have unreasonable goals, but mine are not.

@Ocean mentioned having a few more exercises which involve ankle weights and a squeeze ball between her knees. I've been doing the squeeze ball between my knees for two or three weeks. Last week is the first time Chris had me do exercises with an ankle weight. He put a 1-pound on and that was easy for me, so he put on a 2-pound and that seemed about right to be a little challenging. He left both weights with me to use. He said when the 2-pound becomes easy, I can add the 1-pound since he does not have any 3-pound weights. Last night other exercises must have tired my left leg, and when I tried to lift my leg with the weight on my ankle, I was in pain. So, of course, I did the exercise without the weight. i plan to do it without a weight for the next few days and might start back with the 1-pound, or not use the weights again. I haven't decided. But I won't do anything that causes me pain.

I've worked everyday for the last two weeks, from four to eight hours a day. Today was the first 8-hour day. I am a bit stiff when I get up after sitting in my desk chair, and the longer I sit without getting up, the stiffer I seem to be. My chair has a mesh back that has some lumbar support, but not a lot. Chris gave me a mesh lumbar support that straps around the back of the chair. It doesn't say in place, but it is easy to adjust after I sit down, and I think I'm a bit more comfortable using it. Chris is just the best!

I think I am doing quite well for six weeks, 4 1/2 months, and one year+ after my three joint replacements. Dr. Bradshaw said it's fine for me to catch up on medical things I've put on hold. I am waiting for a call from the doctor to schedule a colonoscopy that I was supposed to have last summer. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow afternoon to adjust T12. I may also need something a bit higher up adjusted, also. I've moved up my teeth cleaning to August 31 instead of waiting until after three months. Dr. Bradshaw does not think it is necessary to take antibiotics an hour before a dental procedure or anything else. He said that practice is entrenched, but in National meetings of orthopedic surgeons, they talk about it not being necessary. I had even asked him when I can schedule a mani-pedi because I had read of the possibility of infection from the container used in soaking the feet for the pedi if it is not drained and disinfected properly. He said it would have to be a really bad infection to affect a joint replacement, and he doesn't think that is a concern. I've had a lot of things on hold. It is going to be nice to clear out the backlog. Onward and upward!

:hi:Happy Friday!
Chris does sound like a gem, wander. I'll bet you're feeling blessed to have him and will miss him once you part ways. I'm glad you're progressing nicely and seem pleased with your progress at this point. It sounds like you are handling work well aside from some stiffness which is not abnormal. I think stiffness seems normal for most of us over 40-50 yrs after sitting for a length of time! :wink:
Hopefully you're able to catch up on your recommended examinations soon, all with good results.
Thanks for the update and best wishes for a great weekend!
@wander03

Chris was here Monday and today. On Monday he did a complete muscle check on my right leg to try to finally determine why my knee does not improve. When he finished the check, he said he has never before seen muscles as tight as mine are. He said it’s no wonder my knee hurts so much. He said as a result of the adjustments I’ve had to make in walking over the last year (and it was for much longer than the last year), the muscles on the outside of my right thigh are greatly overdeveloped and the muscles on the inside of my right thigh have atrophied, which causes my knee cap to be pulled toward the right.

On Monday, Chris gave me one exercise to start with after putting kinesiology tape on my leg. The tape had all come off by the time he got here today. He does not understand why the tape comes off. He’s said he has another client whose tape on her leg stayed on for two weeks. Oh well, that’s not me. Today he gave me five or six more exercises and three stretches. I’m to do the stretches three times a day, ten reps of each, and hold for 30 seconds. I’m to do ten reps of each exercise. I had quite a workout learning them today. Chris said my knee cap was a bit looser today just from doing the one exercise for two days. I could tell that it was. I hope he has it right this time. I feel hope again. That is a nice feeling.

I’m doing quite well working 8 or 9 hours a day. I am a bit stiff when I don’t get up and move around often enough, but I get over it. I am getting back in the grove and really enjoying my work again. All is going quite well.

I feel hope again. That is a nice feeling.
Good! You should feel hopeful. I'm sure much better days are ahead for you. Three joint replacements (major surgeries) within a little over three years time now, IS a lot to fully recover from. I think you're doing well and given your surgery history, I'm guessing, Chris, thinks you're doing well also.
Have a nice Thursday and weekend! Thanks for updating. :)

@Layla Actually I had three joint replacements in less than one year. I agree that it is a lot to fully recover from. But I'm hanging in there and doing the work.

You're right, I knew this and didn't mean to type that.
I'll blame it on not enough coffee yet...at that point. :wink:
Have a great evening!
@wander03

Great updates, Wander. You are reaching normalcy again. Such a great feeling.
You are doing a lot.. I am impressed.
It just goes to show that you cannot keep a good woman down!

I hope your knee improves. It was nice to read your statement about feeling hopeful. So happy to read that for you.

I plan to continue to peruse the BoneSmart board, but since nothing is changing for me at this time, I plan for the next post to this thread to be that my right knee is functioning as normally as a replacement knee can function. I'm writing this because as I've read many threads here, I've noticed some posters seem to just vanish into thin air. I have not vanished. I may periodically post to other threads if I think I have anything of value to add. Otherwise, know that I'm still hanging out in the BoneSmart universe.

As I've said many times, I am very grateful for all that I have learned from this forum. Anytime I hear of a person who is having a joint replacement, I tell the person who told me about it to pass on the bonesmart.org website; that it has a lot of good information and people who are always ready to answer questions and be helpful.

So, here I go, on my merry way, in much better condition, I am quite certain, than I would have been had I not had all the wonderful input from you wonderful BoneSmart people. Thank you very much. :egypdance:

So glad you have two good hips to be merry with, dear @wander03 :happydance:

Thanks for encouraging others when you have time.
Getting tips and comfort from those who had gone before me was such a big part of my recovery and I was so thankful for Bonesmart.

Wander.
Me too, I check in here a couple of times a day just to see new posts from new recoveries and hopefully can add encouragement in some small way.
But like you, not much new on my end to talk about other than I feel I'm doing very well, still tend to take advantage of the days when I feel great and overdo it and then pay the price but that's just how it goes.
At least now when I do overdo I know I need a rest day.
I thought I'd want to go back to work but so far I don't have the desire. I've been "working" at dog kennel almost everyday and it's a volunteer job but enjoy it.
But I know what you are talking about when you say your job pays for the little extras that you cannot afford just with SS. Spent over 20 years in corporate so my SS is good but I have 6 grand children and like to spoil them a bit so the extra cash when I work does come in handy.
Maybe once the long dark days of winter approach I will get bored and want to work again, we will see.
Take care.

@wander03 you have been an encouragement along the way for me. Glad to have had your acquaintance on the journey -- only a day or so apart for the hips. All the best to you as you continue to full recovery!

Hello @wander03 Happy Tuesday to you!
These soft goodbyes, I'll call them, are always bittersweet, but as they say, life goes on.
I realize you're not vanishing for good and while I'm sad to see you back off into the shadows, its a great sign that you're getting back to life and "normal". After all, that's the goal. So while you may begin posting less, your personal updates will always be welcome here. Thanks for joining us, sharing your journey and encouraging and supporting others along the way. We are also are grateful that you share the site, given the opportunity.
Hugs, best wishes and a belated Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads