PKR And Now for the Left One

I can tell the pain killers my OS injected when closing are wearing off. I am now starting to feel the cold from the Game Ready. Now I will see if all of icing and elevating will pay off.
Thanks! @Wolvesfan

It sounds like you are doing really well Rick! I am a bit jealous lol I hope you have a great holiday weekend!

So far so good. My post op pain holiday is about over. The bruising is starting to show. I have been hooked up to the Game ready except to eat, walk, or going to the bathroom. I am trying to stay away from Oxy if possible, so far I have been successful. With my last knee by this time I was counting the minutes till I could take another..

Day# 5 1:00pm Starting to feel more pain, still able to manage it with ICE, Tylenol, and Tramidol. Went through another 60 lbs. of Ice. Was hooked up and had the Game Ready running all night. It is set for 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off. Thanks @sistersinhim for the suggestion to make the Icebergs They worked well over night.
So far doing MUCH better than the first knee! I am much better prepared, both physically and mentally. I also have our 7 Month old kitten helping with my recovery. Hard to be depressed when watching a Kitten be silly. :catbutterfly:
Tomorrow will be my first Outpatient PT session. I will make sure it is uneventful.

I hope everyone else recovering, is doing well!!!

Thanks, @sistersinhim for the suggestion to make the Icebergs They worked well overnight.
Yay, I'm so glad they work for you! They'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

Day # 6 Had my first Outpatient PT. Went over goals, and checked current ROM as a baseline. My Right 1.5 year old PKR. 0 / 136 My new left PKR +14 / 70 None of it was forced, under my own power. Went over heal slides, quad sets, and leg lifts. Only did a few of each to make sure I had the technique down. None of the no pain/ no gain stuff!! Back home, Tylenol and tramidol, Ice and elevate for the rest of the day. every one in a while, several laps around the house. I am working very had at doing very little, letting my body heal.
I have also gotten past the point with my last knee, where I needed Oxy for pain.
Rick

Your attitude and knee replacement knowledge is wonderful, isn’t it great to know what to expect so you can have a reasonable plan! And I’m sure that cute kitten is a great distraction!

@Jockette Thanks! As you might have seen from my other posts. I came by this knowledge the hard way. :headbang: But, I am smart enough to learn from my mistakes. :yay:
Rick

I had a similar bandage. It was called Aquacel or something. Actually I had two: a long one over the main scar, and second shorter one over the robotic tool mounting wounds that left two small circular scars. No problem. The technology has really changed for dressings!

Glad to hear you are doing well Rick. Those appear to be the same dressings that my hospital used...

Yes it is an Aquacel. I got blisters on either side on the right knee. I think that was because I tried to overachieve. I am taking my time for this knee. So far so good, no blisters. Just black and blue.
20200707_090432.jpg
Rick

Looking good, Rick for a week old knee!

Just popping in, looks like recovery is going well still. I am so happy this recovery has gone much better for you.

@sistersinhim My existence has been nothing but Ice, elevate, and sleep. Oh yes, do a daily Ice run of 60 to 80 lbs. From my point of view, It is totally worth whatever it costs. Ice is not that expensive.
So far I have NOT had to gotoOxy for pain. I have been tempted at times....

I was addicted to ice! As soon as I sat down, the ice was back on me. It definitely kept the prescription drugs at a minimum.

@SpaceGirl I am doing SO Much better than last time! I know no two knees are the same, but my issues last time were self inflicted. For the first knee I did not know about BoneSmart till 1 month after surgery.
This recovery I named "Operation Turnip" I told my wife I was going to be as useful as a Turnip. (I hate Turnips by the way), I am sticking to the plan. So far I have gone through about 230 lbs of ice. The Game Ready Ice machine has been running almost 24 hours a day. It is programmed to run for 30 minutes, then stop for 30 then run 30 and so on, so out of 24 hours I am on Ice about 10. I am doing heal pumps, ankle slides, and leg lifts, while I am not icing. I need to refill with ice about every 2 hours. So I am getting my walking in.

I ditched my walker on Saturday, have not needed a cane. I never really learned how to properly use them on the last knee.

I have not used Oxy since I have been home. Pain has been managed with Ice, Tramadol, Lyrica, and Tylenol. That was my plan going into the 2nd knee. Do the EXACT opposite from the first. So far it is working VERY well!!
This is a week so far, I have managed with NO Opioids, and have had none of the side effects since I got home. And, I have our 7 Month old kitten. She has been with me most of the time for moral support.:catbutterfly:

Wishing all my fellow BoneSmart friends a smooth pain free recovery!!
Now back to:ice:
Rick

:yes!: well done you! That is such a positive attitude, so happy to read that it is all going so well, I'm hoping when I eventually get my 2nd one done I can follow in your footsteps xxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
EverHopeful
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom