PKR Analysis paralysis!

like2lean

Country
United States United States
Hi all! I am a 63 year old active and fit male. 18 years ago I had an OATS procedure (bone graph) to repair a piece of detached bone on my right medial condyle. I re-gained about 80% usage over the next 2 years but it has since slowly declined now to about 50%. I can still do most things except run/jog but I have always had level 2-7 pain that I control with meloxicam only as needed. I have bad bouts that can last 1-2 months where pain and some limping are regular but I still function, and other months where it's almost normal. X-ray/MRI show the OATS repair is failing and close to bone on bone but not there yet. I found a great doctor, Dr Haynes and he thinks I would be a perfect candidate for a partial whenever I'm ready. I do pass most of the questionnaires but I know a PKR will need to be done eventually and wonder if I should do it now while I'm healthy, have good coverage, and time off, or wait until it wears all the way out in ?? years. I'd love to hear from some of you who were on the fence as I am, and how it worked out for you. Thanks!

I’m 62. I had a large meniscal tear and severe arthritis in all 3 compartments of my knee. I think I let it go way too long because, like you, I had some times when I was almost pain-free, which allowed me to be in denial about how bad it had gotten. I decided to do it because I was still working, had good coverage, paid sick leave, and I decided I wanted to be pain-free most of the time instead of some of the time.

Unfortunately there isn't a quick answer to your question. It all depends on you, your knee and how much pain you're in. There are several on here who have had partials done and they were successful and some who have had nothing but trouble with them. My original surgeon (12 years ago) said that the outcome of a total knee replacement was better than a partial so I chose to go that route and it was successful for me. It's also important that you have good medical coverage now, have the time off and are healthy. If you wait too long your knee will continue to deteriorate and the repair could be more extensive.

Here are some pre-op articles to help you make your decision. I realize you've already done the score charts but there might be extra info here that you haven't read. Good luck with your decision!

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Hi there, im no expert but i'm having a lateral partial knee next wednesday....i'm 52. I'm in the UK and the two things that swayed my decision were a) that i want quality of life now - no one is guarenteed tomorrow and b) my surgeon has told me that there is a limited time window for this surgery before it progresses to a total knee replacement which he believes could be prevented / delayed with this surgery. As i say, that is my personal decision and only you are the expert on you. Hope it helps

If you'd like to read about other people who have had PKRs, look for the green PKR prefix in front of their name/post in the Knee Recovery Forum and you can find out about their stories. Good luck!

Thanks! Your input is much appreciated!

After choosing the repair instead of a replacement 18 years ago my plan was to have TKR last January and be done with all the problems. But my MRI came back negative....I was shocked! I looked into all conservative measures; PRP, Prolotherapy and cortisone. I tried prolotherapy but will not use any more cortisone shots as I have read much about the degradation of healthy cartilage they cause as well as prolonged use of NSAIDS (which I have cut WAY back on after 12 years). The weeks/months it hurts bad I always promise myself to address it once and for all ASAP, then it passes and I think I'm just a whinner, suck it up, I'm sooo lucky to have the function I do...

Much of what I read implies if I have function with pain to control the pain and retain the knee as long as possible. But if the cost of said control is degrading otherwise healthy cartilage then it's not a good option, too many other joints to think about! I know I have to decide based on my pain level, it's just nice to hear from others like you who have had the same and MUCH worse issues than I do.

I would definitely do it now. Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom