An Accountant's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

Hi Everyone!
I'm on a personal improvement mission. A year ago it was gastric bypass (lost over 100 lbs) and now THR since I lost all that weight and now need a way to expend the boundless energy! I'm thrilled by the prospect of being able to walk again without pain - you know, going to the supermarket and not have to use the handicapped carts to get around; retiring the handicapped placard for 'peferred'parking spots, the ability to chase after my kids when they backtalk, play in the back yard with the dog, etc etc.

My personal BIG CONCERN is that I am an accountant. Yes, a bean counter from Beantown. As such, I have the pleasure of being seated at my desk for 8 or more hours per day. Of course I get up to try and walk around and all, but reading all of the threads I have not seen anyone talk about how soon they can get back to their desk job. As the main bread-winner in the family as well as the insurance carrier, I need my job. I've arranged to get 6 weeks off of work in November when I have my surgery, but I'd love to hear from anyone out there who can tell me when I may reasonably expect to return to the 8-hour grind.

Thanks to any and all! This has been an eye-opening and informative forum! I truly appreciate the opportunity to participate in this fantastic medium!

Janet

Oh gosh - and no-one replied!!

I would think that around 10-12 weeks would be about the norm, Janet. Of course of you're having a minimally invasive replacement, it could be lot, lot sooner.

You sound so positive and full of good cheer! I do hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted, eh?

Janet:
I, too, sit at a desk. I was out of the office for 6 official weeks...but I came in earlier and worked for awhile and then left when I was tired. After the first two weeks, I noticed a big improvement. Do your PT and walk whenever you can. That will build your stamina. I did not have the mini incision, but I did fine. Use a surgeon who does this surgery all the time; that's the key. Make sure the physical therapy starts quickly and don't be afraid to do it. When you do go back to work, get up and move around frequently. You will feel so much better after your replacement that you will be anxious to get back to normal activity.

Thanks PT109. I appreciate your reply and your advice. I have 4 months to worry this to death, so hopefully I can work on the leg lifts, etc. and 'get ready'. I have to ask you a question though - you and many other comment that you slept or were most comfy in your recliners. I've heard other stories and advice that the recliners are too low or too soft to get in and out of comfortably. I have no recliner and a fairly high bed. I plan to get a shorter bed frame to lower things there, but I really don't have a comfy chair. I fear that my first 2 weeks will likely be spent on the 2nd floor of my house closer to the nedroom and the bathroom. I was considering trying to get a 2nd hand rocker/recliner or some such thing, but curious about your experience. Want to share?
Thanks! Janet

The recliner allows you to have your legs up so that they don't swell. I had no trouble getting in and out, but I did have a fairly firm recliner. Because it tips back, it was very comfortable. If I were you, I would try and get one, or borrow one from somebody/somewhere. I also have a high bed and I solved that problem with a little sturdy step stool to get me into bed. Getting out of bed is easy with a high bed, so I would not worry about getting a different bed. The chair will make a difference in how you feel, and, since you'll be in it for a fair amount of time during the first two weeks, I would focus on getting the right chair. Your doc will want you moving around during your recovery, so you won't want to be in bed more than at night.

I know how hard the waiting is; it is the worst part! But, if you keep up with the exercises and think about how much better you will feel after the surgery, that will help. I had my surgery May 7th and I am back to doing everything I was doing before surgery and more! You have this to look foreward to!!!

Thanks for the advice. My husband will be happy that I don't have to 'retire' the high bed frame. I already use a little step stool to get on it - I feel ridiculous - but trying to do a running jump would be more so considering I only limp around these days. I've been eyeing a nice Berkline rocker/recliner that been calling my name... What an excuse! heh heh heh.
Glad that you're doing well. Thanks again!
Janet

Janet:
Go for a firm recliner seat; you don't want a too soft seat. You want good support for that new joint! For at least 6-8 weeks you will not be able to bend at the waist more than 90 degrees. If the seat is too soft, you'll end up bending too much. I used a recliner that really didn't look like a recliner. It looked like a living room wing chair, but it did recline in two positions. It was perfect because it was firm and yet it reclined so it was comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88