Revision TKR Amy's Revision Recovery

amymhere

Country
United States United States
Got thru surgery ok 5/5. They resurfaced the patella, added a button on it and swapped out the bearing for a larger one to help stabilize the ligaments. He said the patella was pretty bad and there was alot of bone exposed. It has felt really strong and better than my original replacement initially. Maybe a week ago I did sort of twist my knee a little while repositioning in bed. That hurt quite a bit. I rested and it seemed better. Then I started PT a week ago though and since then I'd say I feel worse. I'm considering stopping PT until I feel I'm back to where I was. Something with the heel slides and whatever I did when I twisted it began to set it off. Then in PT he had me doing some short arch quad sets, then some long arch quad sets and that really made it mad. Now when I sit awhile it is soooo stiff and hurts on the inside under the kneecap. I need a crutch unitl I'm moving awhile. Grrrrrr so frustrating! I do have an ice machine and I'm doing ice and elevation I'd say at least 4 hrs a day. Do you think I should just rest it a few days until it is okay again. I have great extension. It hurts to flex it. The swelling is not too bad. I get the bandage off tomorrow.

benne68

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Do you think I should just rest it a few days until it is okay again. I have great extension. It hurts to flex it. The swelling is not too bad. I get the bandage off tomorrow.

Even though you don't see much swelling on the exterior, you may have significant inflammation inside the joint. He did a lot of work in there!

I agree that you should rest, ice and elevate as much as possible -- and stop PT, at least for now. Give that poor knee some time to recover from the trauma. You are not even 2 full weeks out of surgery.

:console2:

benne68

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I know you have been through TKR surgery before, but I'm posting our BoneSmart recovery guidelines as a refresher for you:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm considering stopping PT until I feel I'm back to where I was.
You will be fine taking off a few days or even more. I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he was interested in was to see what my knee would do and never measured. He never even asked about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself and obviously trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
Do you think I should just rest it a few days until it is okay again.
As long as you're moving every hour or so, your knee will benefit from some time off.

Deedles8

Country
The biggest thing I ever learned from my recovery is your body WILL heal it's self on it's own so do not push. If you feel you need to take a break do so! I hope you are able to get back to feeling "normal" soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom