BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Amy's getting a revision

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by amy8303, Feb 8, 2019.

1. amy8303

amy8303 new member

United States United States
    I am having a left knee revision on a one year old TKR on Feb. 12. My knee has been unstable, and progressively more painful. I can only stand or walk less than 5 minutes before I need to sit down and rest my knee. The doctor says it's just a polyurethane replacement, but I am afraid it is something much worse. No one knows for sure until he can see what is going on inside. I just really need support right now, and I am glad I found this forum before my surgery.

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

winter welcome 5.jpg @amy8303, we're so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. As you can see, I have moved your post from the February Surgery list thread into a thread of your own where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I will also put you on the February Valentines' surgery list.

Here are some articles on recovery which will apply to recovering from a revision also:

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:

rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Bonesmart! This is a great community for support.

4. amy8303

amy8303 new member

Thank you so much for these helpful articles and encouragement. I was so positive last year, before and after my TKR. This time, however, I am so anxious and disappointed that I have to do this all over again on the same knee. I am also not sure what is wrong, and that is terrifying as well.

5. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I understand. I have a partial that has not gone well and am in the process of second opinions. My recovery has been very difficult and I dread doing it over again. :console2:

6. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I completely understand. I lived with an unsatisfactory knee for 8 years; my recovery from that TKR was horrible, the worst year of my life. I sought a couple of second opinions in the aftermath. Finally, the components loosened and I was forced to schedule a revision; I decided to go to one of the surgeons I had gotten a 2nd opinion from, someone who is accomplished at problem knees. And to my surprise, the recovery has been a walk in the park compared to the first time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wishing you good luck and it's just the spacer that needs changing. :console2:

8. Jolease

Jolease junior member

Canada Canada
    I feel for you, I had a partial then a revision partial and now I’m going for the full tkr. They say all looks good on the x-ray but it’s far from good. I hope everything goes smoothly for you , I’ll be watching your recovery on the other side. This forum is awesome with so much support.