TKR amos1967 in recovery

amos1967

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi lovely people , what a fabulous forum I’ve found , it’s nice to know I’m not the only one struggling, and it’s a normal recovery process!
I’m really struggling to walk as it hurts soo much after about 60 yards! Also everyone has noticed that when I walk my knee actually twists outwards when I walk , it hurts soo much trying to walk properly so I have started either limping and started putting my weight on my right knee or keeping my left knee as straight as possible!
I really wish I could post a video to show you lovely people what I mean ! And has anybody else experienced this as I’ve googled everywhere to no avail x

I'm sure the advisors will be back shortly. There's not much they haven't seen!

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!
I’m really struggling to walk as it hurts soo much after about 60 yards! Also everyone has noticed that when I walk my knee actually twists outwards when I walk
I am going to tag @Josephine,
our forum administrator and nurse director, to come and advise you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Ahh thank you Benay that’s very kind

Hi thanks jockette that’s very kind and thank you

Ahh thanks jockette that’s very kind thanks

Hello @amos1967 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

By the way, there's no need to quote in order to reply to someone. quoting large amounts fills up the thread too quickly with stuff that's already been said.
Just go down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the box where it says "Write your reply".

Here's an article about
How to use the quote feature

Hiya my knee op was 18/04/19 thank you soo much x

Thank you for your surgery date. I've put it in your signature now.

Having your surgery date does help us to advise you appropriately, if you need help at all.

I see you found a home:ok:
Lots of great advice on the forum so you now have a useful recovery tool .
Hope things get better soon.

Are you using a stick or crutch when walking? I found it helped to use a stick/cane when I was first walking and trying to get a normal gait back after years of walking with a limp.

Hi karriB I’m down to one crutch but it’s just hurting after about 60 yards

Thanks soo much mojo333 x

Are you icing and elevating for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day? Reducing the swelling in your knee will help ease some of this pain.

What pain medication are you taking and how much, how often?

As Jacey said be sure to ice and medicate. It took a while for me to walk for shopping or even working, 12 weeks at least and then I couldn’t shop and work on the same day.

Hi lovely people, does anyone have excruciating pain on front top of tibia when walking ? I have to stop after 60 yards as I’m in soo much pain .. I also try and walk with leg completely straight and not to walk naturally with ankle freely as my knee kicks and moves outwards resulting in much pain !! I hope I explained it properly as I really would like to know if any of you guys and girls experience this ? Thanks for reading this x

@amos1967 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title slightly. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Did you see my post above with questions #11?

Hi lovely people, does anyone have excruciating pain on front top of tibia when walking ? I have to stop after 60 yards as I’m in soo much pain .. I also try and walk with leg completely straight and not to walk naturally with ankle freely as my knee kicks and moves outwards resulting in much pain !!

It's not uncommon to feel that tibial pain. However, I don't like the sound of your knee moving sideways. I don't think that should be happening, so I think you ned to go back and see your surgeon again.

Until you can walk normally, you need to be using two crutches.

Are you icing and elevating for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day? Reducing the swelling in your knee will help ease some of this pain.

What pain medication are you taking and how much, how often?

Hi jaycey yes I’m icing 3 times a day , also tramadol 4 hourly and codeine also ! Thanks .

Hi lovely people, just a quick question! I’m 12 weeks knee recovery and for the past week I have had terrible restless legs , tossing and turning and having to move my legs every 10 seconds!!
Just wondering if it’s common after full knee replacement surgery or it’s just me

@amos1967 you will notice that I have once again merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please do not keep starting new threads. Keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

My colleagues on the knee side should be along shortly to address your question.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom