THR Amirayoni's Recovery Journey

Amirayoni

Country
United States United States
Thanks for the add. Would love to communicate with people on the same timeline as me. Not sure how to contact or follow them….I know this is not the place for this post, but you can move it to help me figure it out. Was here before and don’t know why I’m having trouble navigating..
Hey, I just had THR of my right hip 9/20/2021.. I’m 25 and learning to navigate this too. I would think I know how due to me being in the tech age lol.. this is not my first surgery but it is my first hip replacement. Due to AVN(avascular Necrosis) I had to have it removed. But I’m here to try and help.

@Amirayoni Hi and Welcome!

I moved your post from the surgical team thread, and started a Recovery Thread for you. This is where we can talk about your recovery and support your journey.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines, each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice

Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’re settling into a routine and any pain you’re dealing with is well managed. If you’re not already icing, it does help with pain and swelling. Stop by often, we’re here for support and encouragement if you need us.
A great day to you! :SUNsmile:
@Amirayoni

Thank you!! I have started icing but the swelling is in my groin area now. I’m not sure if that’s normal. My back is killing me and I can’t even stand up straight. Ive been in different moods everyday because I’m just sad that I can’t walk straight. The discomfort is a pain. I’m rambling I know It’s just all new to me. I feel alone sometimes due to my young age but I thank you so much for your response, I’m happy I found this page.

I feel alone sometimes due to my young age but I thank you so much for your response, I’m happy I found this page.
While it’s true we don’t have many here at the moment your age, but once you join Bonesmart, you are not alone!

Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

Hello Amirayoni,
Yes, swelling in the groin area can happen. Ice all areas of pain / discomfort or swelling as often as you like, always making sure to have fabric between the ice source and bare skin.

Try not to get down about your current physical state because it’s totally normal at only five days post op. Read the Activity Progression For THR under Number 5 in the Recovery Guidelines above. You don’t need to do a lot of walking now, resting is okay.

There have been others within your age range that had hips replaced. I’ll try to think of some and link their threads below for you to read.

Stop back whenever you’re lonely, lights never go out here and there is always some one around to offer support and encouragement.

Hugs and best wishes for a peaceful evening and a night of restorative rest. :)

Following is a thread of someone close in age to you -

:hi: @Amirayoni
Sorry you are having to deal with all this, but as Layla said... all the things you describe are complaints most recovering hippys deal with and All Temporary became an important mantra for me. :yes:
Hang in there, friend.
Ice and elevate lots and baby that sore leg.
It does get better.:flwrysmile:

:hi: @Amirayoni
Sorry you are having to deal with all this, but as Layla said... all the things you describe are complaints most recovering hippys deal with and All Temporary became an important mantra for me. :yes:
Hang in there, friend.
Ice and elevate lots and baby that sore leg.
It does get better.:flwrysmile:
Thank you! I really appreciate it! I will definitely keep doing those. Happy Sunday!

Hi Amira I had my THR Sept 13th. I’m 56 so on the young side too. People would stare at my cane before my surgery so I can see where it would be even tougher at your age. The first week was terrible. Especially the first 3 days. But I’ve made so much progress now at 13 days out I’m amazed to see where I am now to where I was before. And I think you’ll do even better because you are so young. Hang in there. I hope you’ve been able to peruse the site. They have great recourses here

Ive been in different moods everyday because I’m just sad that I can’t walk straight. The discomfort is a pain.

Hi,
I hope today is better for you!
Mood flucuations are totally normal!
One of the moderators may have already posted it for you,
but there's a great article here about post-op blues, if
you're interested.

I haven't had my THRs *yet*, but this site has helped me
a lot! I'm so glad it's helping you, too! :)

Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’re settling into a routine and any pain you’re dealing with is well managed. If you’re not already icing, it does help with pain and swelling. Stop by often, we’re here for support and encouragement if you need us.
A great day to you! :SUNsmile:
@Amirayoni
Thank you all for th kind wishes I really appreciate the support! I am feeling a lot better since then. I’ve been icing an elevating and trying not to walk so much. I’m still trying to learn how to learn this website so I’m sorry if I’m posting in the wrong areas. But once again thank you all! ❤️

Great news to read you’re feeling better! Let us know if you have any questions in regard to navigating the forum and we’ll gladly help. Here is some helpful info -
Have a wonderful Tuesday! :wave:
@Amirayoni

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. I just shared your thread with a 21 yr old on the pre-op side as he was looking for recovery stories of other 20 somethings. Check it out and feel free to offer him support if you have time.
Happy Autumn with best wishes as you continue the journey.
@Amirayoni

Hey everyone! I just wanted to reach out and say thank you for all the help and advise I’ve received. When I signed up for this forum I was dealing with a lot mentally, stress, and anxiety. I was angry that I was going through this but looking back on 2 months, my mind and body has changed for the better. I’m not in anymore pain, and I’m getting back to all the things I love and miss doing. I was very afraid at first but I’m happy I decided to take that leap of faith. To anyone going through their very first THR, I know it’s hard and sometimes you want to give up, but just have faith because God will get you through it! Thank you again ☺️

Great to hear of your faith and as a new hippie you Have a great attitude. It takes courage to just make the decision for THR . Once on the surgery journey every day is a healing and learning curve and full of new experiences.
Take one day at a time go slow just walk , PT not necessary… Wear new shoes with good arch supports which helps joints adjust to new prothesis. Get a pair of spring shoes they help teach a good gate with less stress on joints and eliminate painful stress while new positions and adjustment for knees, ankles and hip…joints.
Sending healing blessings your way.

What a great update! I’m sorry I missed it until now. Joint replacement is a big deal and we understand the emotional side of it. It’s wonderful to read you’re out of pain and back to enjoying the things you love. I share your faith and it’s what sustained me in my fear.
I wish you a lovely Christmas and many blessings in 2022.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!

baby-jesus :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
@Amirayoni

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member