Amazing Knee Recoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirtana

I have two horses (Saddlebreds) and compete on the B Circuit. I have very bad osteoarthritis and tore the meniscus in my right knee about a year and a half ago. I had cortisone shots which didn't work longer than 3 weeks-then tried Hyalgan shots (hyluronic acids shots like they inject horses with) that worked for awhile but the pain came back when winter came. Tried acupuncture too which kept the pain at bay. Then I went on vacation and tore the meniscus in the left knee from excessive walking/climbing stairs. To make a long story short I was crippled and in too much pain to ride.

The orthopedic surgeon said it was time for the surgery.

I got another round of cortisone shots to keep the pain under control while I waited for my scheduled Bilateral (both) Total Knee Replacement surgery (I opted to have them both done at the same time - one hospitalization/one rehab). In the meantime, I lost 10 pounds (not overweight but to lower cholesterol levels) after a few weeks I took lessons riding Western so I could still get on a horse but I didn't have to post to put any strain on my knees.

Had the surgery on Dec. 17th, 2007. I brought pictures of me riding to the hospital for motivation. Stayed in the hospital for two weeks - they gave me very intensive rehab sometimes getting me up 6-7 times a day for therapy.
I was a very motivated patient because I know show season is going to be here very soon. My doctor said, I could go riding (don't jump - on purpose :) after at least a minimum of 8 weeks - could be longer depending on how I feel. Don't want to rush anything.

I had to laugh because the therapy I received in the hospital was like having a horse back riding lesson without the horse. They had me doing surpentines around orange cones in the hallway. Anyway I walked out of the hospital without the assistance of a walker or cane (carry a cane for safety outside). I attribute my success to my therapists and my determination to get back in the saddle. I also think because I was in good physical shape from riding (upper and lower body strength) it helped me though the exercises not to mention getting off the toilet and putting socks/shoes on.

I remain optimistic and have scheduled all the hotels for the horse shows this coming season.

My instructor has plans for me once I go back to ride. She is going to put me back on a western saddle and lunge me around the ring. I will also ride her Tennesse Walking horse so I will not have to post for awhile. Then I will progress to the show horses. She should know because she also had her knee replaced (only one).

Horses as well as any personal passion is a great motivator. I know because this is the second time I have had major surgery. I had a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery for breast cancer four years ago. Despite all of this I won the year end (2007) championship in my category/age division (reserve championship in 2006). I look forward to competing again this year - even if I don't win anthing. As Winston Churchill once said "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man (in this case woman)." Riding is what keeps me going......

Good luck

From one horseperson to another

Most encouraging stories

This weekend, I did my first hike in Glacier Park in three years. It is amazing to me how narrow my life had grown. I gave up hiking almost without knowing it. It just seemed like I was "too busy" or the hike was "too long or too hard". Of course it was too hard, since my knee hurt--but I would never admit that I was stopping activities because of knee pain. I did not need a knee replacement.

It was so exciting to me to hike to Avalanche Lake this weekend. It was four miles round trip and I did it while chatting and laughing with friends who were here for the weekend. I had no pain and in fact, did not think of my knee for most of the time. when we got to the car, I realized that I was not limping, I was not hoping that I had some pain med in the car----instead I was laughing and looking forward to a budweiser with lime that was in the ice chest. In short---my old life is back with me!!!

I am eleven weeks into this sage and I did dispair at the beginning. It seemed like I was so much worse off that I had been before the surgery. I never dreamed that I would be hiking again--WITH NO KNEE PAIN---in Glacier park this summer.

In two weeks, I am hiking my favorite hike to Iceberg Lake which is ten miles round trip. I am going with friends and am so looking forward to striding through this beautiful park. In the meantime, I have scheduled some easier hikes to keep my form in. and the huckleberries are ripe and I can even bushwack through all kinds of brush to get at them.

Last week I was picking berries with friends and we were talking and laughing. Suddenly, I looked up and realized that we were going to have to go up a scree field (loose gravel) that was about 30 feet straight up. My friends looked at me and said, Can you? I started up and it was a piece of cake---last year I would not even have tried to do it. I scrambled up and then had to help one of my friends get up too. Yeah!! this living stuff is fun!!! I had almost forgotton my great love of the mountains and of wandering around them at will. Thank you new knee!!!

Recently underwent bilateral TKR (12/6/2010).

I am an ex-jock, and was in fairly good shape except for my knees pre-surgery. Followed doctor's recommendation and did pre-op PT - really helped!!!!

I had very little post operative pain and was for the most part able to manage the pain with tylanol extra stength only.

I came home using a walker 2-days post op and had my first PT session 4 days post op. At 1.5 weeks post op ditched the walker for a cane. At three weeks post op, ditched the cane. And at 5 weeks post op ditched the cane.

Seven weeks post op ROM in one leg at 126 degrees and the other at 123 degrees both at 0 degrees for straightness. For the most part swelling has reduced to minimul and no icing required. Do not sit too long - always shake it out after about an hour of sitting (whether you elevate or not!!!!)

My incision is now closed and I started water therapy at 5.5 weeks. Running in pool (backwards and forwards as well as side skipping and now at 7 weeks doing jumping jacks and normal stroke laps) therapy exercizes that my PT has suggested. PT was tough as I had not really utilized my knees to any great extent in 10 years.

Now able to ride a bike for long periods of time, now. Was able to go 360 degrees on bike (rather than just rocking back and forth) at 3 weeks post op and now riding stationary bike for periods in excess of 30 minutes with level 5 resistance..

Post op pain was mainly from muscle issues primarily where the
tourniquets were placed and tightend down onmy quads.

Went back to work this week part time and planning full time for next (desk job - engineer). Not planning on doing extended travel by air until March.

Only issue is the my TKR click when walking - no pain - just anoying. I am told it may go away with time or it may not.

For the first time in10 years I have no knee pain!!!!! It was like a light switch after surgery. No more grinding and locking up, no more spasims. Feel great!!!

Follow the recommendations of your surgeon and your physical theapist. Everyone heals and recuperates at their own pace, so take it easy and let it happen. Push youself only to your own limits, which will be evident to you by pain. Your limits will improve on a daily basis.

I haven't been here for quite a while but thought I would just post some good stuff. After all, this forum got me through the first 6 months post-surgery.

I had my RTKR on November 4, 2009. I had a difficult recovery because I was unable to tolerate the pain medications. I tried 4 meds for pain and finally was able to tolerate one anti-inflammatory that helped. I managed with some lidocaine patches and the anti-inflammatories but had lots of pain for many months that prevented me from many activities.

I did PT twice a week for 8 months. My ROM has been good since month 3 (over 120) but I still had pain.

At my 1 year anniversary I took stock and thought, "this is ok. I can live with this" but it wasn't what I had hoped for when I decided to have knee replacement. I was able to walk about a mile (very slowly!) and could stand for about 30 minutes with minor pain. Nothing I couldn't live with. AND it was WAY better than before the surgery. I didn't need a cane.

At 13 months there was a HUGE and sudden improvement. I can walk anywhere and stand for hours if necessary. I am still very slow (I also gained more than 20 pounds sitting on a sofa for the past couple of years!!) but am now losing weight, exercising and living my life with very little looking over my shoulder.

So there is hope. I had given up to ever living my old, before-my-knee-got-bad life. But I think I am really back. Now my goal is to get strong and lose some weight. I hardly think of my knee.

One caveat--I live in NY and we have been having a VERY cold and stormy winter. My knee does not like the extreme cold and I have become my families early warning system! When my knee feels achy I know we'll have snow within 24 hours. Too funny!

Thanks to all here for the wonderful support. I think I wouldn't have gotten through without it!

Barbara

Just about eight months ago I had my LTKR and today I played volleyball for the first time with my new knee. WOW...it performed GREAT! I jumped, turned, ran and even had a few digs close to the floor. It actually felt just like my other knee. I can't wait to play again tomorrow morning. :th_yahoo:

My knees were done a year apart.

the first two weeks, I was resting with leg up on three pillows about 80% of the time. I went to outpatient pt the Monday after my thursday surgery--but, i never did any "home" exercises.

Weeks three and four--still taking it easy--knee on three pillows about 50 % of the time. I went to pt three times a week--began driving in week two, but I did almost nothing at home except walk the dog for one to two miles a day.

After the first month, everything began to pick up a little. I could begin weights in the gym and was amazed at how low they were!! but, now I was up about 80% of the time. at five weeks took my first 11 mile bike ride. After that I rode 20 miles every Thursday.

By two months, I was working out--but still not at heavy weights--probably at one half my usual. did lots of "running" in the pool. Put on a buoancy belt and then ran in the deep end for about 30 to 40 min perday.

at three months, things began to feel normal. I could ride two or even three 20 mile rides a week. I could hike 8-10 miles a day. Still taking the dog out every day for 2-3 miles.

At four months, I was pretty much back to normal. Now, I began working out really seriously, but still not at top form.

At five months, I was at my normal weights---80 pounds per single leg lifts. 200 pounds per two leg lifts, etc. I rode alot--went on three really strenuous 20 and 30 mile hikes.

I began taking spinning at he gym. I worked for three months with a pt and for three months with an athletic trainer.

at six months, i worked out every day and also took a pre ski conditioning class that was pretty hard core.

at seven months i began skiing and now ski 5 to 7 days per week.

The stiffness on getting up for me, stopped at three months, but Jo is right--it is different for everyone. Right now, I never even think of my knee!! Kelly

I never worry about my leg wearing out--the evidence is not there that being cautious works. Jo has a post where the evidence states that those who do sports have about the same amount of wear as those who do not. In fact, the people who played active sports with the new knees tended to be in better shape and to have better rom.

I am skiing almost every day this winter and will bike a ton this summer. My doc assures me that my knee will last for 30 years!! I also have lots of muscles in my quads right now--I had lost muscle when my knees hurt. Now, I feel like I am the same old person I used to be before knee pain began to rule my life.

I work out in the gym, ski, bike and walk for miles at a time. I do not do anything too crazy!! But, I do not feel like I am holding back from anything!! I have been amazed at how joyful my life has become-- a new beginning--one without pain. I celebrate my knees every day and enjoy having them around. Kelly

Re: Waiting in pain

Welcome RIVER!

I had many of the same worries and pains you have mentioned post surgery I worried about doing two at once all the way up until they put me to sleep I kept thinking I can change my mind and just do one at a time but when I woke up both were done and I have no regrets. I needed knee replacement for son 15 years before I had them done and I had ankle problems, feet problems, lower back pains and after the surgery they all went away it did not happen overnight but slowly it seemed when I least expected it I would notice hey my back does'nt hurt like it use to. Recovery is no cake walk but the pain you experience is nothing like the pre surgery pain its hard to explain but the paid is not as deep and decreases in stages. I returned to work at 7 weeks (not easy but not bad either). At 3 months I gave my then 6 year old son his first piggyback ride and never looked back. At one year I reached the point where I no longer watched every step and let my knees decide what my day was going to be like. At two years my knees are no longer an issue I have no limitations and do whatever I want, I hunt, fish, hike, canoe, swim, weight lift, ride bikes, everything that I had given up doing for so many years.

Short term you decision is scary and there are lots of worries and concerns but long term you have made a life changing decision that will be great for you and your family.

Best wishes!

I have been on and off the site for the last 6 months. Offered some of my experience to several of you. Most of the time everyone beats me to the advise/experience part but I try.

This week was my 6 month anniversary. Background info: Pre-op I had extension limited to -10 degrees. Flex was 70 degrees until pain /80 maximum before screaming and no more flexing. 7 surgeries over 35 years. Knee was mushroom looking at the joint. Took the wrong advice of a previous OS to wait until I "could not stand the pain any longer" to have the TKR. Lived this way for 5 years or so. Valgus progress to 25 degrees. I did not mention pain but you can fill that in on your own. Found a great surgeon that told me I as "stupid" to wait so long. OS said recovery would be long and take 12 months or so. Found this forum as well. Posted my first thread shortly after I got home from hospital. Tried to offer thoughts to others as my time allowed.
RTKR 12/21/10 - joint reshaped to look normal, valgus normal and close to 3 degrees. Today....Extension 0. Flex 148 degrees. I have not had either of these for over 10 years probably. Clunking of the joint slowly diminishing. Strength in the leg progressing. Some swelling but limited to upper part of the joint only (OS said this could be as long as 12 months to completely go away). Activites increasing at a slow pace. Pain is deminishing and I do have an OS that believes in the pain management. I medicate randomly and ice and elevate randomly depending on my activities. I take the 12 month recovery to heart and am patient. I learned so much from this forum I can not tell you and thank yo all enough.

At my check-up, two weeks ago. all my OS could say was "wow". He even gave himself a pat on the back and marveled at the valgus and limitis I had pre-op compared to today. I did mentioned that I had lateral pain as my knee motion passed thru the old limits of -10 extension and 70 flex. His response was "no tto worry". Even after just two weeks since the visit this is also progressively going away.

All-in-all my personal success story came from reading/listening to everyone on this forum, an experience OS, an OS that told me the truth from the start and believes in pain management for the long haul, personal determination, and patience......lots of patience.

Thank you everyone for your help and support when you did not even realize it. I will continue to do my best to beat you to the reply to others with advise/experiences! This will be a challenge, I know.

Thought I would give an update on this side for those that are contemplating this surgery. It was about a year ago that I really started to think knee replacements were not too radical for the pain I suffered while walking. My wife and daughter were about to depart on a 7-day through hike of the West Coast Trail and I was staying home because I couldn't walk a 100 yards without being miserable with pain. I got by because I could ride my bike very well. But there is more to life than riding bikes (hard to admit that at times!). Rode so well that in fact did a ride across New York State - 7 days 70 to 80 miles per day the month before they left. Felt great on the bike. However, I compressed my sciatic nerve and had to stay off the bike. Now what? Those two things really got me thinking and started researching. My big concern was will I still be able to bike like before and am I willing to give up (possiblly) cycling at a high level in order to walk without pain? At 6 months I now know I can cycle at nearly the level I was at a couple of years ago AND I not only walk, but hike and climb mountains. So, if you are thinking about having this surgery - read my posts and others and you will see it is possible to get back to high levels of physical activity. This past weekend we hiked and climbed Buck Mountain (6 miles, 3000 ft climbing) and enjoyed the 300-degree views of Lake George on Saturday. Sunday I rode 25 miles to a party at a friends house; and Monday did a 54 mile ride with a club, averaging 18 MPH on each. No Pain! Worked all this week and did my time check 20-miler yesterday morning before work setting a new post BTKR record of 18.7 MPH. We are planning to hike, climb and bike this weekend too. Just wanted others to know what a positive life-changer this surgery can be.

Re: Hey mom, I'm home!!!

Hi all, just back from Jamaica. great trip, great diving and my new knee tolerated it very well, thank you. Less than 3 months out from my TKR!

Attachments

• PICT0067.jpg
    PICT0067.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 572
Posted by WyrDachs on 10th June 2013 here

WyrDachs.JPG

In Sept 2012, my mother, who was 87 at the time, had a TKR. My mother lives alone, in Manhattan in a 2 story walk up. This is her "honeymoon" apartment and has no intention of leaving. The decision for her to have the TKR was a matter of allowing her to stay in her home for as long as possible. Had she not gone thru with it, we would have had to look for an apartment elsewhere and she would not have been happy. She's a true City Girl, very active in her Church and community.

She was starting to limit her activity and staying home more and more. Luckily, she is very healthy, on no medication. The OS, sent her for a battery of cardiac tests, which she went thru with flying colors.

She had no problems with the surgery, however, she is a petite and lightly built woman and doesn't handle pain killers well, they make her hallucinate.

They did send her to inhouse rehab/nursing home facility for 3 weeks. If anything was going to do her in, it was that. She hated being there, was getting depressed and down. The day they released her, we (me, the nurses & the social worker) tried in vain to have her come to my place, but instead, she insisted on going home. I took her to out patient rehab for the 1st week, then she insisted going on her own.

To see her move now is unbelievable. She looks great and you gotta see her climb those dang stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom