TKR Am not dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumpkin

Staff member since March 26, 2015
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are doing great.
Why do you need more ROM? Sounds like you are pain free, and doing well otherwise.
@Campervan continued to gain ROM over a long period of time, she may be able to advise.

OP
OP
Ms.fixit

Ms.fixit

Country
Hi Pumpkin! I can certainly be happy with what I have, it's just that it's difficult to fold myself into certain spaces, and when I hit the end point of flexion, its painful( I feel the restriction across the top of the knee just above the kneecap, btw, a very specific band of tissue). If I had a bit more bend, I figure I wouldn't hit that point as often or as hard. That said, if this is as good as it gets, I am perfectly content, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try and improve at this late date. I did read in the library about a person who got more ROM at 18 months, but that was the only example.

Pumpkin

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Ms.fixit,
I think that was Campervan you read about, hopefully she will see my tag and respond directly to you.
Have you sought a second opinion from a revisionist?
I will tag @Josephine for you, to help and answer your questions.
Others with scar tissue are @maryo52, , and @Dhare63 @skigirl .

maryo52

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
I asked my Mom's OS and he feels I won't get any more bend on my own, but says there is a surgery that can be performed at this point.
He's right!

What surgery did he describe? I had arthroscopic removal of scar tissue. The pain afterward is minimal. It was expected to take a half hour but I had so much scar tissue, an hour was required. The worst part is fasting and all the rigamaroll of getting ready for OR and then recovery and the adjustment afterward. With an anesthetic shot into the knee before it ended, I needed pain pills for maybe 2-3 days. It's two weeks to fully recover.

If you look an patient 99's thread today, you two are in the same boat, and I've conveyed my theory about adhesions in my last post there.

OP
OP
Ms.fixit

Ms.fixit

Country
Gee that doesn't sound too bad! This is what my Moms OS told me about..he does revisions, and I really like him..so perhaps I will pursue this further.

Pumpkin

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Thanks Maryo52 for your quick response to Ms.fixits questions.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
That said, if this is as good as it gets, I am perfectly content, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try and improve at this late date. I did read in the library about a person who got more ROM at 18 months, but that was the only example.
It's the only example in the library! There have been plenty of others who have reported increases their flexion a year later and more. I wouldn't advise starting a new round of PT or exercises as you're likely to stir up more swelling and pain. You're only 5 months out which is relatively early. Just be patient.

skigirl

Country
bronze
I had an open "lysis of adhesions" (removal of scar tissue at 2 years after my surgery--it had gotton painful to ride my bike. Jo is right, you are still early in the recovery process and everything may seem different in a few months.

Florida 1

senior
Country
Actually, she is approximately 16 months out.
I'm at 1 1/2 years myself and kept noticing limitations until just recently. I've found that those limitations aren't really affecting my quality of life and have noticed that I was able to squat almost completely when moving furniture recently - an accomplishment I didn't think was ever possible for me again.
In your situation, it sounds like the procedure is relatively minor compared to TKR and might be worth it as you feel the limitations in a painful way. Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck!

Pumpkin

BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Ms.fixit ,
You may want to high light your surgery date in red to clarify your surgery was in January 2013.

trailspud

graduate
Country
@Ms.fixit
I hear you. I have more flexion...probably 115...but my 2nd TKR had a complication around 2 months out and I'm pretty sure I have some adhesions limiting my ROM. Otherwise, pretty good, but I'm going to talk with my OS this summer about it. I think there is no downside for you to do the same.

Glad to hear you are walking well and w/o pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

skigirl

Country
bronze
I have to admit that although the recovery was slower than I liked, I am glad to be rid of the adhesions which were preventing me from riding my bike!!

Wednesday

senior
Country
If you're happy as it is, let it be. However, it doesn't hurt to ask about the procedure your doctor is suggesting. The recovery may be very different from that for a tkr.

Pjmc

senior
Country
I truly know how you feel . I am so tired of constant pain .
Did he tell you what the surgery would be ?
I have had poor pain management from day two of tkr .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties