Am I having my THR done too soon?

pkuznets

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi, all, I had my right hip replacement performed in 2010. I had become so crippled with arthritis that I could barely walk; my pain was through the roof. That surgery was an absolute god-send. I knew (and xrays confirmed) that my other hip wasn't far behind. So began the second waiting game...

The past few years, I've seen my range of motion deteriorate in the other hip, and the familiar ache of arthritis return. I'm not yet crippled; I can still walk. I'm not in 24/7 agony...YET. But my quality of life is decreasing, and I'm just hoping to have the surgery before the life-sucking pain becomes a new normal.

My question is this: Should I wait until I am in agony before I have the hip replaced? My Ortho says I'm a candidate for hip replacement--and I agree. My knees, lower back, and even my 2010 hip are all being impacted by my arthritic left hip. But am I "buying trouble" by having the surgery too soon?I'm scheduled for Dec. 11, and everyday I wonder if I should postpone it!
Thanks so much,
Patrikya

My knees, lower back, and even my 2010 hip are all being impacted by my arthritic left hip. But am I "buying trouble" by having the surgery too soon
I'd say this waiting has bought you trouble by affecting all of those other body parts.
Time to have it all done.:yes!:

No, I don't see why you'd wait? You were miserable last time and are headed in the same direction.
Take care of the inevitable rather than suffer as you did previously.
No...I wouldn't cancel the surgery. Get your quality of life back and have a great 2018.
Best Wishes you come to terms with this and move forward. @pkuznets

Hi @pkuznets - I agree with others. I too have decided to get my right hip replaced BEFORE I am in constant pain. My pain is not yet consistent, but everyday there is some there. It is starting to bother me while driving with some regularity. My X-ray shows it is not yet collapsed, but is a fine candidate for replacement. My OS is in agreement that I determine when I am ready and while they aren't pressuring me, they let me know that I do not have to be debilitated. I am scheduled for February 5, 2018. I don't know what trouble we would have by having it too soon. I think we run risk of more trouble by waiting too long.

Good luck with surgery!

Should I wait until I am in agony before I have the hip replaced?
Absolutely not! What dangers are you envisioning by having it done 'too soon'?

Print off this form and complete it. It will give you great guidance on your need to have a hip replacement!

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v4.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 372
Should I wait until I am in agony before I have the hip replaced?
Definitely not! In my experience waiting until your hip is causing you agony means a longer recovery. The longer you limp around the more damage is done to other areas. Get that hip replaced ASAP so you can get on with living again.

I suppose the drawbacks of “having it too soon” would include the overall risks involved with major surgery/hospitalization as well as the energy, physical toll, and sheer time it takes to fully recover. I’m recalling my first hip’s horrible deterioration—in which I would have scored every category “unable to do at all”—and how this hip is following a similar trajectory. Right now, I’d say I’m straddling the “can do with some difficulty” and “can do with great difficulty” line, but I still can do. More than experiencing pain, I’ve now already experienced extreme loss of range of motion, which has begun to limit my cherished activities and ways of moving in my life. My gait presents with a slight limp. My discomfort, while not agonizing pain, is set at a constant low hum—day and night. I’m so afraid to hit the stage of agonizing pain and disability again, but I’m also unsure if I ever will. Does this even make sense?

I’m so afraid to hit the stage of agonizing pain and disability again, but I’m also unsure if I ever will.
It will happen. Hips go from tolerable to horrid overnight. Please don't wait for a collapse. I did and believe me I regret all the time I wasted both in limping around and in a long, complicated recovery.

If your life has already narrowed due to this hip - it definitely time.

Hi @pkuznets, I wrote a very similar first post in April when I began my hip replacement journey. Fast forward to today and I’m 6 weeks on from surgery. I don’t regret it at all. When I saw the surgeon for the first time he said I could wait to have it done but I would increasingly be modifying my lifestyle. That would have meant it also impacting my husband’s lifestyle too and as we are gradually reducing work there are things we want to do.

When I first posted some of the replies mentioned hip pain going from tolerable to agony very rapidly. I felt the deterioration between June when I met the surgeon and October when it was done.

If you find increasing difficulty in doing some things I would think it’s time to get it done!

Hi @pkuznets
My situation was a lot like yours in the sense that I was not in pain 24/7 but range of motion was not good and the things that caused pain, really caused pain. Getting in the car....difficult. Getting out was horribly painful. I had to physically lift my leg and slowly let it down. I didn't want injections nor to habitually take NSAID's I drew a line in the sand there. Like you, I also limped. I finally realized I was settling for a lesser quality of life, which I see reflected in your post. It sounds like you know what to do.....
Best wishes for direction as you contemplate all.

Recovery is not the most fun but think it is easier while you are young...you have alot of life to live next year.
Sorry you are anxious but 2018 us going to be our year for bye bye hip pain!:cheers2:

Hi @pkuznets - some good advice here. While mine wasn't too bad at all yesterday, after working food bank last night, it has reminded me all day it can be hateful. After thinking about it today, I realized that due to lthr, I am not quite back to all the stuff that made it feel as bad, so that may prolong things a bit--but it just delays the inevitable. I am looking forward to next summer on two new hips. I personally believe I have a much greater chance of getting to the point of agonizing than not.

I'm not waiting! Everyone I heard from that had a hip replacement said they wished they'd done it sooner. I'd rather have good days now than wait for more pain (and be in worse condition and have a harder recovery as a result). I was told that you'll know when you're ready - when you're willing to go through the process, it's time.

I totally understand your hesitation....I had my moment of hesitation....but I think you answered your own question when you asked "Should I wait until I am in agony before hip replacement?" What do you think? You have the advantage of knowing what it feels like to have one bad hip replaced with a good one. You never regretted that decision I bet. All I can say is be brave, think positive and don't waste another moment worrying of what ifs. I will endeavor to follow my own advice until my surgery date. :heehee: What has motivated me the most are those voices on the other side who said "why didn't I do this sooner."

I had to wait for 2 years for first hip because of cost. Before I had first done I was in pain could hardley walk and zero range of motion. My left side was not so bad but after healing and walking I felt the ache in good hip. I decided with same worries but had the left replaced 3 months after right. I am very happy I did not wait. Best wishes

Funny, I’ve thought the same way. If I’m not stopped dead in my tracks after walking several feet and getting only an hour or two of sleep at a pop, why do it now?!? Thing is, I know it will get to that in time. Two years ago there was no evidence of OA in my right hip. Now it’s bone on bone on one spot and a very small amount of joint space left. It’s not going to get better.

Like you I waited on my LTHR until my life was in the toilet. I became a burden to the family although no one would admit it. I'm certainly not waiting that long for RTHR. my right hip now is OK if I don't do much. And I mean not much. no hiking, biking, yard work or even long walks because it goes from OK to Terrible in a few steps. After resting it will be fine for a while but no telling for how long. I can get stranded somewhere like at the end of the driveway. Plus my wife worries and is always checking on me. so in my opinion you are making the right choice to have it done now. I am.:)

Hello @pkuznets Think quality of life, quality of your life, have it done the sooner the better I'd say. I've just had RTHR last week and absolutely no regrets. If my other hip started playing up I certainly would try and get it done asap. Dec 11th isn't too far away and will make such a difference to 2018.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie