THR Always worrying!

Jo Champagne

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all

I last was on BoneSmart after my left THR in 2015 and cannot thank you all enough for the tremendous support given. Almost 4 years later, on 8th April this year (8 weeks ago today), I had my right THR. This has been successful and was carried out by the same surgeon.

Over the last year, I have become much more anxious about everything, or so it seems! The main thought I have at the moment and hence my writing on the forum today, is that I feel ‘more aware’ of my left hip these days. I feel sometimes there is a slight ache/soreness in the left groin and sometimes in the morning when I get up I have a click in the left leg.

I have obviously had xrays over the last few months and all looks good on both hips. I have no pain in either hip. In fact, I am asking myself now if I am overthinking things anyway. Is there really anything different with the left hip now compared to the last few years? I’m thinking it could be over-compensating over the last months, with the pain and limping of the right hip and using my left hip more i.e., getting in and out of bath pre-op and now recovery.

I would so appreciate any thoughts you may have regarding this!

Hi @Jo Champagne! I had my left hip done in 2014 and my right was done Feb 28th this year. I've also noticed what you are describing with my left hip in this recovery. I've been assured by my OS and fellow hipsters that this is fairly common. Now that both of our hips are "good", we have to get re-aligned so to speak! Even though I know this, I can't help but worry when my left hip feels funny! It's just strange to me to have both hips working without any pain and that in itself is hard to get used to! It's early in recovery and things just need to get settled in! :flwrysmile:

:wave:Hi, Welcome back to BoneSmart. Thanks for re-joining us here.
I believe you may be overthinking it all and there could be some achiness from favoring while leading up to your surgery, also thereafter as you're regaining strength and mobility. I think many of us experience clicking on occasion while bending, or upon certain movements. While annoying, it doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your implant. Mention it to you surgeon, or his PA, on your next visit and I'm sure they'll offer you reassurance.

I'd ice any areas of discomfort, including your left side, right along with the right side.
Below you will find the Recovery Guidelines. Familiarize yourself and use the Activity Progression for THR as a guide to help keep yourself in check.

Stop back often for the support and encouragement you know will always be here.
Wishing you comfort and continued healing...have a wonderful week!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Jo Champagne

Last edited:
Jo, Hi and welcome back! I think the issue may be that you have forgotten what your first recovery was actually like. We all do. Do read our Recovery Guidelines which we did not have last time you were here.

Just seen my consultant who has discharged me and doesn’t want to see me for 8 years! I asked about the clicking and he said it is nothing to worry about! Nor is the aching etc. Looking at pre-op xray, my spine had slight curvature which now looks better. Also, think I am an inch taller which is great.

I feel much more re-assured, firstly with support from you here at BoneSmart and also from my consultant. Yay!

Just wanted to mention that whilst all pain has gone at 9 and a half weeks, I am experiencing stiffness. I take a few moments to get moving and then I can walk reasonably ok. I walked a little too far round the shops yesterday, and it is amazing without the osteo pain, but the stiffness is a sort of pain in itself. Does anyone have any comments/thoughts on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Jo Champagne, it isn't uncommon to still have stiffness or to have a problem when first standing. Sometimes when I first stand, it feels like I have a kink in my hip. The forum calls this a "stutter step". When first standing, it's best to wait a few moments with your full weight on your legs before starting to walk. After shopping or walking for an extended period, you may want to get the ice pack out and rest/elevate for about an hour too. It sounds like you're doing well overall! Have a good day and weekend! :roseshwr:

Hello and a Happy Friday to you :wave:
Stiffness, pain and internal swelling can last for months. Icing will help with any internal swelling which can cause stiffness. The forum nurse, Josephine, recommends icing for 40-60 mins each time you ice, no less.
Try this and see if it helps. And you're right, stiffness is a form of pain. When you engage in outings as you did yesterday, target icing as soon as you get home.

You'll get there, 9 weeks is still fairly early into recovery. I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Thanks for the update!
@Jo Champagne

Hi all...would appreciate thoughts on this...no pain at all and all healing good. My main issue at the moment is that I ache! Especially after sitting down at work and then when I get up after sitting at home, I feel I limp a bit until I get going! I can’t remember the achy feeling from last replacement going on so long. Does anyone else still have this after 4 odd months? Any suggestions of exercises to do to get rid of the muscle aches? Would really appreciate any ideas/thoughts please!

Hi Jo,
I'm about 4 months later, and I still ache most of the time after I sit for a long time or even stay in bed longer than usual. I was just going to write about it on my thread, when I saw your comment. We are having a heat wave here which I can't tolerate so I have 1 good fan to sit in front of and so been spending a lot of time lying down and watching U-tube videos while I sit in front of the fan. Been doing this on & off for 2 days now.

When I got up after sleeping a long time, I almost felt that I couldn't walk confidently for the first 5 minutes or so. My back was stiff and I ached as I did 2 months ago. The aches do not hurt but makes me realize that in some ways I am still going through the healing process. Today, I got up and started moving. There is an improvement already. The only thing I can suggest is (easier said than done) is to alternate sitting with standing and walking after x amount of time to prevent that weak, limpy feeling.

Hello

Definitely, yes... feel much the same Jo & Trudijane.

I’m almost 5 months post 2nd THR & have aches & pains all over. Getting up & walking still takes some time... have to do a couple of stretches & then limp away... after a couple of minutes it feels ok. I do remember that after my first THR it was much the same!!!

I really think it’s our bodies realigning to a proper gait after realigning for our improper gait before surgery[emoji23][emoji23]

It’s that ‘time & patience’ thing that we are all not very good at
... [emoji51][emoji51]

I’m also booked in for right TKR on 14th October which doesn’t help.

It’s good to know we are all in this together!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in this body 6 decades, parts are wearing out and a lot of things ache. I look at it that the pain from the joint in my L hip is GONE, I'll take the aches and stiffness. The more I move the less it aches until I stop moving. If I do some stretches in the morning it takes the aches away for a day.

Jo, do keep reminding yourself that it takes at least a full year, and often up to two years, for the soft tissue that was so rudely disturbed during surgery to fully heal. After my second THR, I continued taking Celebrex for nine months until I was finally over most of the achiness.

Also, did you replace your shoes since this second surgery? You are now trying to adjust to your new normal walking gait (ahh....truly bliss to have a normal gait), and if you are still wearing older shoes, they have a wear pattern based on your old abnormal gait. That could be enough to throw off your alignment and contribute to overall aches.

But mostly it sounds like time is the healer that will be most effective for you. 4 months post-op is still early days.

Hi Jo,
I agree with everyone above. Stiffness very normal. I did not start with arthritis, but with a catastrophic fall and bone fracture. I can only sleep about 6 hours and then it’s like the tin man. I can hardly walk at first. Takes me a long hot shower to get everything moving again. This surgery impacts every part of your leg, so yes 5 months here and have stiff muscles daily. I sit for work and can’t sit longer than 30 minutes or it’s day over. Just move often. Helps a lot. Keep the faith. @Jo Champagne

Hi everyone! All going well some 8 months after my right hip replacement. Just come back from a break away and did a long walk which ended in my leg (no hip pain) aching in a muscular way up the leg and buttock. I had to keep stopping to give it a rest. I want to stress there is no pain but just wanted some reassurance this can be counted as ‘normal’ this length of time after the op.

Hello, @Jo Champagne :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
I certainly wouldn't worry about it yet. Ice, take some OTC pain reliever if it's really bothering you and dial it back a bit until it eases. Possibly you pulled a muscle, or didn't stretch beforehand? Ease into your next walk. Maybe not as long a walk, or at a slower pace. At eight months post op, there is still healing going on. It can take a full year, even longer for some.
Wishing you comfort, a Merry Christmas and a wonderland New Year!

:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::santa-dance::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom