Knee Infection* Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

Madbkseller

Country
United States United States
Hello: I had a revision TKR on my left knee 8 weeks ago. I have a sharp pain just to the left inside of my knee whenever I take a deep breath. Does anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Madbkseller ... I have moved your post to it's own recovery thread. You posted on an old thread from 2010 and no one would have read your comments. Also, could you please modify your signature to show that you have had a LTKR in 2013 and a Revision LTKR in 2015? This makes it more clear for us and we know which knee you're talking about.

The member where you posted was significantly farther out with her recovery than you are and she had developed #CRPS (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). At only 8 weeks out from surgery, it is normal to have odd aches and pains like this and it just can be part of the recovery process. I'll tag @Josephine so that she can comment as well.

That is very strange! I can only start by asking if you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_referesrs.jpg

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_aagridhyh.jpg

Hmmm ... afraid I have no idea. How strange.

Josephine:
So, this has really gotten to the point that I can't stand it anymore. I called my os on Monday and only got to talk to his nurse, as is usual. I explained to her the problem I was having with the pain every time I took a deep breath or coughed. I told her that I had an appointment in two weeks, but would like to know what was going on and if there was anything I could do to help it. She said she had never heard of it before and that she didn't thin it was serious. She said to just wait and ask the doctor about it at my appointment. So, no help there. Still really hurts. Should I just wait till I see him in two weeks? Call my general practioner? What do you think. This is very annoying and painful.

I'll tag @Josephine so she sees your question as soon as possible.

@Madbkseller I am so sorry but I truly have no idea what this could be. Perhaps you should see your GP and see if you have a chest infection. I've never heard of such a thing before either.

Sorry you are having this issue. Let me preference this by saying I am not a medical person, this is only my experience and nothing more. Always default to your medical provider.

I have a knee cap issue, when I exert or some time deep breath the diaphragm rising pulls up on my thigh and as a result my knee cap. In my case I have some minor pain. Currently they are doing very isolated PT on my upper and lower quads and using a tens unit and icing extensively.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Wberry - thanks for your post. I finally called my os back and he is out of the country. His PA said that he didn't have any idea what it could be. He suggested that I see my GP. I have an appointment on Tuesday. It continues to get more and more painful. The muscles in the area have gotten so sore that the area almost hurts more than the other pain I am having with my knee. I'll let you all know what I find out.

I wonder if you are unknowingly tensing up when you take a breath?

What are you doing in the specific area of pain, to try and alleviate it? It sounds as if you could have an area of inflammation there.

Hi @Madbkseller -- sorry to hear you are experiencing this pain. I hope you can get an answer soon.

Celle:
I do think there is some inflammation in the area. I am now 11 weeks out and have noticed that from time to time it seems warmer there than anywhere else on that knee or my other knee. I ended up not going to my GP. I have an appointment with my OS on Friday the 26th and will just wait to see what he says about it. Funny thing happened though when I was telling my therapist about it he put his hand on my knee when it happens. I kept breathing in and out but to no avail. I could not get it to hurt. So, now, when I take a deep breath I press on the painful area and it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. Strange, huh? I don't tense up when I breath out. I have actually paid more attention to making sure I am relaxed as I breath out.

All this along with so many other things are really getting to me. About 17 years ago I got a torn lateral meniscus in that knee. My poor right knee has had to bear the weight of stairs and favoring that knee for a long time. In addition, when I was about 20 I was thrown from a horse who then stepped on my lower back, so I have had back trouble and seen a chiropractor for over 40 years.

I have always been active but since that initial problem with my knee, I can hardly walk long enough to get groceries or buy Christmas presents without extreme pain. I have three grandchildren who live nearby. Ages 10, 7 and 3 and I can't get out in the yard and play with them like I want to.

Once of the saddest things is that this was a revision on my left knee. So that's two operations already and when my left knee has healed enough, I have to have my right knee done. I just don't know if I can stand to do it again, but I almost have no other choice.

My doctor doesn't seem to want to give me any more Vicodin, so with no really good pain medicine I don't even want to go to therapy. It HURTS!!! Additionally, I don't want to do my exercises at home. It HURTS!!! I don't know if I am being a baby or what?

I have fairly good days, but mostly very painful days. I am not sleeping well at night so I don't have a very good outlook on life most of the time.

I hope that someone out there has some suggestions for my problems. I am listening.

Oh, I forgot I was going to ask. Do you think I should try water therapy instead of regular therapy? I had it before on my initial TKR and it seemed to be much easier and less painful for me.

Water therapy is almost always a great option. It can be a lot easier on your body, so I'd go for it. Have you checked with your doctor about the possibility of some type of pain medication that's not Vicodin? Like maybe Tramadol?

I am now almost four months since my Revision TKR on my left knee. I have had all my rehab and have extension at 2 and flexion at 115. Not the best but still working on that at home. My problem isn't the pain in my knee. It's the pain outside my knee. I have looked at the locator for where the pain is. I can only find one from the front and my pain would actually be behind L4-D. t Hope that makes sense. I have tried to find information on the internet regarding this pain. I believe that it could be a semi tendinosus problem. When I move my leg, it feels like it gets stuck or twisted or something. The rest of my knee is doing quite well. Except I also wrote regarding pain that is like a stabbing pain when I exhale. That pain is actually in the front part of L4-D. I don't know if this is coincidence or not. I don't see my OS again until the first week of October and would kind of like to be able to figure this out without having to have another office visit to pay for. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I need to get this knee better so I can get the other one done and get on with my life. Thanks so much

Madbskseller,
Sorry to hear you are still having challenges, your ROM is great, it will slowly increase with time.
Do you mean L4-Front or Back?
I will tag @Josephine to comment.

You may notice that I have merged your two threads that pertain to your knee revision. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom