TKR Almost ready

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Today I go for my dreaded PCR test, prior to my surgery on Tuesday- seems strange that it is done so many days before as between today and Tuesday what's stopping me getting covid unless I stay in a bubble, which isn't happening I've too much to plan and organise before Monday evening.
Right now I'm trying not too overthink things, nevertheless it is still nerve-wracking knowing what the first few weeks after are like, last time I was clueless, I would very much like to push the fast forward button.
Due to the pandemic this time I have had very little contact with the surgeon and hospital so feel I'm being thrown in the deep end, I assume it's because it's my 2nd knee and same surgeon, my next visit in on the operating table :shocked: oh well nowt I can do about it, I'm sure it will all be OK.
On the plus side my right knee is way stronger than my left, yesterday I did a walk of 5900 steps, I probably over did it as last night I merely hobbled, and had to resort to taking paracetamol, but so different from my last surgery whereby I was walking with crutches prior to my surgery...I feel a bit of a fraud as I'm not using crutches yet so hopefully this will hold me in good stead afterwards :praying:
Wishing you all a good weekend and those facing surgery now and next week- happy healing xx

Gosh, the days before surgery are nerve wracking enough. Add in this darn Covid and it's like a black cloud hanging over your head! :blackcloud:Hang in there my friend! You know it does get better. In fact we can't even assume this TKR will be like the last. My second THR was totally different than the first. A much easier recovery because I didn't limp around pre-op. Fingers crossed you will experience the same!

@Jaycey I've just been told I will have to wear a mask in hospital the whole time I am there to sleep even - I jolly well hope I get discharged early as I detest masks it seems madness but rules are rules, I may spend the whole time eating as no need for a mask whilst eating :rotfl:

Order yourself a cloth mask that will fit well. I have to wear a mask all day at work. I have 2 cloth masks that are very comfortable.

I had my covid test 4 days before surgery and both me and hubby had to isolate during that time. If they had told me to wear a mask all the time in hospital I would have had to postpone - I really could not sleep in a mask. Good luck for the op wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes! :console2:

Sadly no soft masks allowed it has to be one of those blue surgical ones- oh well more incentive to get out of hospital quicklier haha.

Last edited:
@Carol Anna So far no mention of self isolation but I have pretty much done everything on my preparation list so if needed I can.
Yes I too detest wearing a mask I get claustrophobic, probably as I live in the countryside and so have never needed to wear one longer than a few short hours ( shopping etc) I have downloaded a few films, will take mini headphones if I'm fortunate enough to get a room alone, then when possible it will be off my face haha.

Not sure why I dreaded the test, it was painless and fast, not at all eye watering, it was slightly uncomfortable but not as bad as I feared. Another tick completed :)

@Sara61. Covid was the main reason that I didn’t stay overnight after my TKA in Aug. I came home about 8 hrs after surgery. I didn’t have a Covid test before the surgery and no quarantining was required. It is now being required at the same hospital. And we all know the actual surgery is the easiest part of this journey. It’s this crazy recovery that is the hard part. Wishing you the very best with an uncomplicated and as short as possible recovery!

@Sks1997 Thank you, I know the surgery is the easiest part ( hopefully this time I won't assist the noises like last time haha ) but I'm feeling rather apprehensive as I know what to expect but dreading it nonetheless, I think it's partly because, knowing that my husband is not allowed to be at the hospital he will drop me off on the morning of the surgery at 7am and as he is not allowed to enter and then only allowed to visit me at the allocated visiting time of 5pm, I feel quite vulnerable having to do this alone.
Here in Portugal we do not have the option of out patient surgery we have to stay 2 nights minimum.

I feel quite vulnerable having to do this alone.
Oh, but you won't be alone. I found staff were quite attentive as I always face these procedures alone. Let staff know you are concerned. They want you to be comfortable.

Perhaps WhatsApp or Skype with your husband once you are in your hospital room and feel up to it?

Just checking in to see how you are doing? @Mrty2019 - my op date getting real close so feeling quite apprehensive, I'm all sorted tests wise now only thing left to do is pack a wee bag and fast from midnight tomorrow- to be honest, I will be thankful when I wake up in recovery, but reading your posts are a great inspiration and so I am repeating to myself I can do this ...

I find shaving my other knee a weird experience as parts of it is still numb, and I cannot feel the razor, great thou that you are well enough to think about it, just go gently x
Tomorrow I will carefully shave both legs (out of vanity ) as I know it will be a while before I'm brave enough, thank god its winter and they won't be on display too often :heehee: xxx
I was specifically told by my consultant on no account was I to shave my legs at least a week prior to surgery as microscopic nicks can be a gateway for infection during surgery and afterwards.

@Scaredycat10 - thanks for that, I now face surgery with hairy legs :shocked: - strange I've never been told that even prior to my 1st replacement, something I will definitely bring up with the nurses

@Scaredycat10 - thanks for that, I now face surgery with hairy legs :shocked: - strange I've never been told that even prior to my 1st replacement, something I will definitely bring up with the nurses
I'll be interested in the comments from your nursing staff. I thought this was a given for most surgery procedures these days. I was told if any shaving is needed, the theatre staff will do it carefully and under sterile conditions.

@Scaredycat10 -I've just spoken to a nurse friend of mine ( I live in Portugal) and she said she has never heard of this and here it's not the normal to mention it, I'm certain I shaved prior to my last surgery but I'll let you know what they say. Oh well each country must have different protocols, anyway I'm taking your advice and legs are staying as they are, unfortunately a bit late for my underarms I did them this morning :shocked:

@Rubyroo how was your mini vacation?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks