Almost 6 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

I want to introduce myself and say that i really like this site and find it very informative and helpful in my recovery process.I originally was supposed to have the hip resurfacing procedure done on my right hip but ended up with a total hip replacement because my bone was too soft to support the resurfacing. I have had a good recovery up to now and from what I have read here am doing every thing I am supposed to be. I started PT the day after surgery and continued with in home visits for the first 2 weeks. After my first check up and having staples removed I was sent to out patient therapy 3 times a week. things Are going well and I am walking without a cane and have been off the pain meds for a week now. I do get some muscle soreness the day after therapy but ice seems to work great for that. I have my 6 week check up on Monday to take an X-ray.Will let you know what surgeon says.

Well, we're glad you decided to join us, Rudy. Welcome to BoneSmart! So glad our site helped and informed you. Will be watching out for your report!

Welcome Rudy! Sounds like you are doing fantastically well for only 6 weeks.

Do let us know how your followup appointment goes.

Hi everyone,
just got home from my six week checkup and everything seems to be good.They took an x-ray and lifted all my restrictions and said i could stop taking the asperin.I am good to go.

I asked him when i could return to work full duty and he said another 4 weeks. I am a USPS Mail carrier so I am on my feet 8 hours and walk 6 plus each day.

I am going to continue therapy thru the end of the month and by then I think I will be ready.

Rebecca,
My doctor did ask yesterday if there was any light duty available at work. I said no, But after speaking with with my manager there is a form to fill out with any restictions involving how much weight I can lift, carry and how long I can walk.
I dont think I will go back full duty in 4 weeks. I will probably ease back into it until my endurance is built back up. I am trying real hard to walk as much as I can and continue with therapy.I did 2 miles on the treadmill this morning and had no issues,But treadmill is nothing like walking 6 consecutive hours with a bag on your shoulder up and down steps.
My manager will be mailing me the form for my doctor to fill out.Then I will see just how much I am able to do, And how soon.

Well done Rudy! And I am so glad you are easing back into work.

I was going the mention the same issue about weight. I found carrying any weight aggravated things at first. But if you can ease into things that's great.

Wow, Rudy!!!! All I can say is welcome to the BoneSmart family and I'm thrilled to hear how great you're doing! Just continue to take things slow and increase your activity gradually.....you've got this recovery thing down pat!!!

Rudy, since your employer seems so amenable about this, I strongly suggest you pitch for a return something like this phased return to work. You will note that the first 4 weeks you work alternating days so you can recuperate in between. Much the best way to do it.

Hi Rudy and welcome to the board.
Congrats on your six week check up! It sounds like you're doing great, keep up the good work!!:th_yay:

Thanks Josephine and Gideon,
Well, I have to tell you, I think I may be over doing it a bit on the treadmill. I have been doing it every morning for the last few days and between therapy and that I am very sore.I even started limping again. I spent the day stretching out those muscles and can walk pretty good again.Maybe I should do the treadmill every other day for a while and see how that goes.

Rudy...could you please put your surgery date in a signature for us??? It makes it ever so much easier to know where you are in recovery at a given time. Here is a link to instructions if you need it.

With the pain you're describing, I'd definitely say you should scale back on the treadmill. Rather than every other day, I suggest less time at a slower speed (no incline!) for a while. Gradually increase your time (and not the speed at this point). It's the walking itself that helps you in recovery.....not a "workout."

Thanks Jamie,
I'll try to scale back the speed a little.I am just trying to get back into shape for work and loose a few pounds that I have put on. I didn't realize how much till I tried on a pair of jeans the other day. My goodness! I know My appetite was ok, But wow!

I'm 1 month behind you PostOp and here are a few tips I've been given:

Treadmill...per a close friend who is a trainer for the Houston Texans, When rebuilding after surgery it's better to break the walk up into shorter, multiple sessions. Instead of one 2 mile walk, do four 1/4 mile hikes a couple of hours apart.

Stamina/Upperbody.......If you suffered for any length of time with the hip pain it's likely that your total musculature has deteriorated to some degree.Do "shaping" exercises, lots of reps with light weight. Pull-downs, bicep curls, bench press, etc.

Nutrition......Losing the weight is a good idea, but be careful not to starve your healing system. A multi vitamin, extra B, E and Iron. Ask your Doc about 1500-2000 mgs of Glucosimine/ MSM daily to protect the rest of your joints.

Keep posting. Your story gives me something to measure my own progress.

Thanks

Definitely scale back on the treadmill Rudy. You don't want to get back in the limping habit. And if you are doing PT then don't do other exercise that day. You need to put a gap between activities so you give yourself time to recover.

Once you get back to normal levels of activity I'll bet you loose the weight without even trying.

Hey---welcome again to the forum. It sounds like yu are doing great. Do not be in a hurry, though; rehabbing from this can take some time, and the more you try to rush it, the more your body says, "WHOA!" Find your comfort zone and work within that. If you think that you have been overdoing it on the treadmill, well you most likely have.

It is important to remember that this is not an athletic-type of workout. Your body has had some serious surgical trauma done to it, and, while you want to rebuild your strength, your body simply wants to heal. This "race" is not a sprint, it is a super-marathon.

Hang in there,

Tim C.

Thanks everyone,
I have cut back on the treadmill just a bit and am concentrating more on the recovery than trying to get a workout. Will keep you all posted on my progress as I scale it back on the treadmill.

Good news Rudy! Easy does it - you'll get there!

Dear Rudy,

The day I got my staples out I thought now I can show how tough I am. Big mistake. You hit it on the head....concentrate on the recovery, don't make it a workout.

Glad to hear your coming along so well. Great to hear that the Post Office will work with you on a phased return. As I recall, neither rain nor sleet or snow doesn't mention Hip Replacement.

Hey Texas Jack,
I took your advice today and did short intervals on the treadmill, seems to be a little better than spending 50 min. at once. I have started back lifting weights again for upper body exercises but I took it easy. Nothing heavy just lighter weight and more reps.
So what did you do? You pulled a Rudy and went gung ho huh.I did that too. Dont feel bad.Healing from what I know now does take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom