THR Almost 4 months post op!

SVL55

Country
United States United States
I am almost 4 months postop. I spent a great deal of time researching the surgery. I spent very little time researching the recovery and that was a big mistake. The surgery was easy recovery has been a challenge.

I had 21 physical therapy sessions. I am now doing my exercises and stretches at home. I am still walking with a cane when I find myself in places with uneven surfaces or areas that I do not know. At home I have my cane by my side but I use it very little. My walking is OK without the cane but it still needs work.

I am back to work and enjoying it however, I am not yet back in the full swing of things. My hip replacement was done laterally. My biggest concern is the irritation that I feel when I walk were muscles were cut and are now healing. When I sit it feels like there are rocks in my back pocket and it is somewhat uncomfortable. A part of what has slowed me down Is I have developed some bursitis around the joint. I am doing some stretches to try and resolve this.

On my last follow up exam my surgeon said I was where I need to be at this point in time but I still feel like I’m behind. My hope is that the “rocks in the pocket” feeling goes away soon.

Thanks for any and all support I certainly appreciate it.

I think you will find, as you read the forum, that no two hips are the same, even on the same person. Each recovery is unique. I think the most important guidance I've gleaned from this forum is that we need to listen to our bodies and if it hurts, don’t do it. It takes many of us a year, and possibly more, to heal fully so don’t be alarmed if you aren’t where you think you “should” be. There are no “shoulds” in this recovery. It sounds like you are doing just fine — keep that cane handy and use it when you feel need it.

I slept through my surgery so it was pretty easy but as you found the recovery is all on us. The recovery is never covered in the 5 color brochure or mentioned by many people that have had it done, you hear mostly about the 3 week wonders. 21 PT sessions is a lot and pushing too hard too soon seems to cause bursitis for many. I had the rocks in my pocket on both sides, right was worse. Stretches seemed to do the trick and made it go away for me. I couldn't stand my handkerchief in my back pocket for a long time.

Hi @SVL55
:welome: to the forum.

I am almost 4 months postop
Please share the date of your hip replacement and which hip.
We will add this information to your signature.

The surgery was easy recovery has been a challenge.
Boy, we can really all relate to this statement.

My biggest concern is the irritation that I feel when I walk were muscles were cut and are now healing. When I sit it feels like there are rocks in my back pocket and it is somewhat uncomfortable. A part of what has slowed me down Is I have developed some bursitis around the joint. I am doing some stretches to try and resolve this.
I know you said you did 21 PT sessions...
Not sure when you began or how often, but alot of this recovery requires rest, ice, and time and we see some PT too early actually delay the healing time.
Try not to worry, 4 months is indeed early... and the best thing for bursitis is a lot of rest, so try not to overdo for awhile.

This recovery is definitely an ebb and flow, but with alot of patience ....we heal and it is all well worth it in the end.

You've got this!

Much of these articles are for early days...
but....
I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks for all the advice. For my record, my surgery was on my left hip and don July 15, 2022!

That is so exciting to read the progress you have made! Don’t stress 4 months is way early into your recovery. I am at 10 months myself and I am still finding improvements with the daily things I do. Things are still need more time to heal, and before you know it, you will realize that some of those issues are long gone and in the past. Keep smiling, you’ve got this. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am 3 months post op now.am going to physio fortnightly and given exercises to do.to be honest they cause me a lot of pain so I tend to stick to more gentle exercises that hospital physio gave me.i don't use my crutch indoors anymore or walking round garden.still take crutch if walking outside,just in case.my knees get really sore at times but doing more.i do rest and put my feet up now and again during the day.and have the odd nap.lol.

Hang in there! It’s a process! I’ve found that no two days are the same! I learn something new everyday!

I’m glad I found this forum. I’ve learned a lot from everyone!

Eman85, how long did the “rocks in the pocket” last for you? I still have them at six months. The only stretch that was suggested to me by the doctor was called a figure four. At this point in time for me to do the stretch, I have to do a hybrid version.

Are there stretches you could suggest that you like and have helped? Thank you!

First thing when stretching is be careful and don't push a stretch. I'd lie on my back in bed and do figure 4 or bring my knee towards my chest and pull it a little with my arms. The figure 4 and you pull it towards you gently seemed to work. Of course as I said easy and mindful of dislocating. I had problems with a muscle in my right rear that took a long time to release. It wasn't the rocks in my pockets it was just sore and tight and wouldn't let ne tie my shoes for quite some time. It still gives me a slight twinge once in a while depending on how I move and that's after over 2 years.

Thank you! I’m going to try the knee to chest lying down because my figure 4 hybrid from a sitting position does not seem to be helping!

Thanks again!

I think you jinxed me. i did some pretty good overdoing the other day and I strained some muscles. As I sit here I have the familiar rock in my left rear pocket. I know it will pass but it is annoying.

Oh no! I hate that feeling and wish I could get rid of it soon! I did some light knees to chest last night.

Still using a cane, I have to go to a business meeting tomorrow. Not sure if I’m ready for the airport or flying yet! I’ve requested a wheelchair just in case because there is a lot of walking to do in Phoenix Sky Harbor.

@SVL55 have you tried hamstring stretches from a seated position? Start very gently as your hamstrings may be very tight.

Good idea requesting a wheelchair at the airport! Nothing worse than feeling like you need to sprint to the gate any not being able to even considering doing so! All temporary!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom