THR Ally on the Flip Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allycat

graduate
Country
Australia Australia
Hi Everyone.
How I wish I had found this forum before I had my surgery, but better late than never, right?
I had left THR on 5th March, 3 weeks earlier than my scheduled date of 26th March, due to a cancellation (lucky me). Prior to surgery I read as much as I could but was still extremely nervous. The one thing that I was not prepared for was the knee pain. I had such incredible pain in my left knee after surgery, they took x-rays 6 hours after the operation to check for damage. My hip joint was fused, and apparently my surgeon had a hard time dislocating it. Numerous bruises on my thigh confirmed the rough treatment my poor old left leg had during surgery.
I have read a few people's hospital stories, and am thankful to say I had fantastic treatment during my hospital stay. My surgeon was very concerned about the level of pain in my knee, asking about it along with his other questions when he visited me each day. The nurses gave me ice to put on it, and together with the inflatable booties, this gave me some relief.
I had full anaesthetic, actually my hospital preferred this, and woke up with a PCA (patient controlled analgesia). I was able to push the button to deliver morphine every 5 minutes if I needed to, and this worked quite well in controlling the pain.
Day 2 had me up out of bed for the first time, and by Day 4 I was walking along the corridor and up a small flight of stairs.
Home by Day 7 with my pain controlled by Targin, Tramadol and Celebrex, with Endones as required at night.
I am now Day 21, and not much pain at all. I can do more and more each day. I'm off the crutches and back to a walking stick and can even manage a few small steps unaided. It has been a good 6 months since I have been able to walk without any type of assistance, and it feels quite weird. Since the surgery, I have been injecting myself with an anti-clotting medicine, Clexane, and only have 2 more to go. I have 3 more weeks to go before I can drive, and take off my compression stockings.
Today, for the first time, I cried. I'm not sure if I feel depressed, or what it is. However I did look on the net for post-op blues, and have found that it can be common. Wondering why I would feel blue, when I have a fantastic new, active life coming to me now.
Allycat

Allycat, good morning. Is it morning where you are? I saw your posting on someone else's thread and decided to reply to yours. First, welcome to BoneSmart. I think you'll find this to be a wonderful supportive community that's really helpful-- we all know what you're going through either because we've been there or are currently going through it. Sounds like you had a really hard time right after your surgery. I want to tell you that the postop blues hit all of us; I think mine hit around the 3 week mark also. My husband felt so bad for me that he brought me flowers. Ally, your body has been through tremendous trauma, and it sounds like you're doing great! But all those years of disability, then the surgery and all the pain meds take their toll on your poor brain, and I think almost all of us have gotten to a point where we just need a good cry.

I'm sure some time today the moderators will see your post and send you a bunch of information. You could check out the library. Look in the index. There's a article on postop blues.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Tell us more about yourself. Where are you, where did you have your surgery, what approach did you have? We post some of that info in our signatures.

I hope today is a better day for you.

Hi Allycat, and welcome to the wonderful topsy-turvy world of recovery. Yes, the post-op blues is a common occurrence. There's an article in the library that discusses it:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

It never seems to last very long...most people here report feeling that way for a day or two, and then they bounce right back. It may recycle and return again, but still just a day or two. It seems to me that it's mostly in the first six weeks.

I often wonder if women in the menopausal years experience it more often and/or more intensely. Kind of a double whammy of hormones already out of whack, and then you top it off with all those surgery drugs in your system.

At any rate, you are in good company, and it will pass quickly. Especially since you are doing so well overall.

Sharon

Hi Alleycat! Congratulations on your new hip!!
I too hit the wall emotionally at around 3 weeks, and just could not "get it" as everything for the most part was going well! For me I gave up trying to figure it out and just tryed to roll with it!
Best of luck to you! Wishing you smooth sailing from here on in! Gail

Welcome to the forum, as you can see you will get a lot of support here. We share and try to help everyone who has concerns about what they are experiencing. As you look around you will see lots of conversations with just what you might have been wondering about, feel free to join in. As far as the "Blues" go, I had them before surgery and I will get them also for no apparent reason now. Sometimes mine are from just being impatient.

sharonslp Matsan sandybeach
Thanks everyone for replying and making me feel normal. I am still a little weepy today but feel heaps better.
BarbaraR funny you should mention flowers, because my wonderful Son brought me home flowers yesterday!

I’m from Sydney, Australia and had my surgery at Blacktown Hospital. I don’t know what approach I had. My scar is kind of at the side of my leg, and is quite long. I didn’t have staples, just a couple of sutures which have now been removed.

My physiotherapist is coming today, and this will be his last visit. Apparently I am too good for him. I suppose I will cry about that too!!

I am so glad I found this forum, what a Godsend. To be able to talk to others who have not only had the same surgery, but have had it almost at the same time as me is wonderful. We are all in the same boat together.
I know I have only just have my first operation, but I am already worrying about the next one. My surgeon says I will need a second operation in 15 – 20 years as the parts wear out. Naturally, I will be 15 – 20 years older when this happens so I wonder how I will cope. Ha listen to me! I haven’t even had time to enjoy my new hip yet!

I am a Teacher’s Aide, and work in a behavioural school, and because the work can be quite physical at times, I have been given a medical certificate until 4th June. That seems so far away, especially since I am going stir crazy already. Before, I was counting down the days until my operation, now I’m counting down until I can return to work!

Allycat,15-20 years seems daunting, doesn't it? But think of how much technology and technique will advance in that time. I decided not to worry about it and to live now.

4 June is far away, but as you feel better maybe you can do some fun things and treat it like a vacation.

Allycat Found your thread! :) I have a son could have been at your school, maybe. Autistic. He's doing very very well at 22, at a vocational school taking "Auto Detailing" aka washing the car reallllly well inside and out. He loves it. We pray for a job when he gets out. You, you should cohnt he days till you want to clean your house, or some such-- sounds like you ahve energy to burn! LOL
I haven't done the new hip thing yet... waiting not so patiently... :) chris

zauberflöte , yes your son could have gone to my school. I have 7 students in my class, and they all either have autism or are on the spectrum. They are coping reasonably well without me (only 1 suspended so far).
You must be champing at the bit waiting for May to come around! My scheduled surgery day was actually today 26th March, but luckily a cancellation saw me having the op early on 5th March. I am so so so very happy to be 3 weeks post op today!
My physiotherapist came today for the last time. I just need to practise, practise, practise. I went for a walk up the street with him - minus the walking stick - and that felt weird. It's the first time in over 6 months that I am walking unaided!
I had a look at your thread and saw your questions re equipment etc. I had a shower chair (used for 2 weeks), a walking frame (did not use), a raised toilet seat (still using). I came home from hospital on crutches and only used them for about 2 weeks. For my lounge chair, I placed a cushion from the lounge on top of the cushion on my chair and that raised it enough. I also have an adjustable bed that I bought pre-op because I was unable to sleep in a normal bed. I had to place blocks of wood under the casters though to raise the height. Prior to surgery, an occupational therapist called to my home and inspected and advised about all the equipment. They told me that all chairs, beds etc need to be at least 50cm from the floor.

Allycat morning! (it's morning here... :) ) I know how difficult it is, oh how I know, to be doing without their USUAL EXPECTED teacher LOL. How old are the kids in your class? You can tell them that you met somebody whose son went to a school like theirs until he was 14 (and then I homeschooled him, unsuccessfully, but don't tell them that part or they'kll get ideas...) and now he's happily thinking about leaving mom and dad and going out in the world with some support to keep him organized! Tell the parents that too :)
I'm so happy to hear that you're going to be walking unaided. I must confess, I am considerably more mobile than many pre-op here. It makes me feel guilty!
Thanks for visiting my thread, sorry I wasn't home :wink: I'm having anterior approach, so may not have any restrictions. I bought a cane/stick the other day, and tried it out. it is very difficult to use! My left wrist is not strong enough LOL. The home health company is supposed to call me one week pre-op to find out if my home complies with whatever standards. Like ONE week, while I am frantically doing the last cleaning(having just returned from a 2 week vacation-sans-autism woohoo!) AND hubby is out of town at the office, is going to be enough time to fix everything. Do they think we have no life? :rotfl: I have a 5" cushion for any chair I sit in, hoping that will be all I need; and the bed is quite high to start with-- you sit up into it, not down.
I look forward to hearing more about your recovery!! :) :) :) chris

zauberflöte,
My school caters for kids from kindy to yr 6, plus we have just started a high school class that is a mixture of yrs 7 – 10. This year, my class is yr 6 with one child in yr 4. I’m really enjoying the older kids. They are all boys. Actually while our school is co-ed, we only have 4 girls out of 40 students.
You’re lucky, you will probably get back to normal walking quite soon after your op. Because I have been using the walking stick for so long, I’m finding it hard to let it go. Today I went to the shops and walked around for a good couple of hours with only one pitstop. I’m tired now though.

Allycat my son's school was heavy on girls! very interesting.
Take a rest-up from "the shops". When you say that, is it literal? There are really little shops to go to? Or is it like we say "I went shopping" or "running errands". :) chris

zauberflöte,
“The shops” is a bit of both really, I went to the bank, the butcher and grocery shopping. Now, I’m resting, watching TV and surfing on-line.

Congratulations Allycat... and to another Aussie, welcome to recovery!

Patience is the key with THR recovery... and feeling sad is perfectly normal.. keep chatting with us and we will share every milestone with you :)

I have provided some links to useful articles from the library for you to read when you are feeling up to it.

Here is the mantra...
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Let the recovery begin! Hugs from another Aussie! :)

Thanks Poppet, I have noticed that there are not many here from our side of the world.

Hi, we have had quite a number if members join from Australia and NZ, however as soon as they improve and recover they move on to enjoy life again.. Both the Aussies and the Kiwis pop back online at significant milestone times, for example at a year.

I started a couple of threads which are called the 'Class of 2011 Hippies' and the same for the 2012 members. This provides a central thread for any member who had surgery in that year to drop by and update.. These threads are in the 'Stickies' (the section above the start of the Hip Recovery list).

We also have a New Years Eve online party thread, and as NZ and Australia are first to cross into the New Year, that is another time that Aussies and Kiwis drop by with an update.

octopus, Diane from NZ is currently recovering.. I have tagged her, so she will drop by and say hello!

Tag me any time you want to chat or have a question as our system in OZ is quite different to the US and UK :)

Hmm just wondering, when will I be able to sleep on either side, minus the pillow? Is this just while I have restrictions, therefore until my 6week check up with the surgeon? At the moment I manage an hour or so on my non-operated side with the pillow between my legs.

Hi Allycat, sleeping with a pillow between your legs does take a bit of getting used to. I've had to do it for a few years now due to a back issue, once you're used to it, it's oh so comfortable. But I'm guessing for you, just until your surgeon lifts the restrictions. I had the blues a bit today, lots of little things, a delay in physio (first appt is not till April 4th), I still feel like a deer in the headlights whenever I go out, feeling shut in, and it's starting to drive me crazy relying in people to do things for me, carry this, pick up that, take me here, there etc. good to know its normal and it will go. :)

octopus, Oh YES. I'm with you. I have a fabulous friend who visits everyday to do the things I can't. At first, very much appreciated, but now... well I feel useless. I sit and watch her and think "I want to do that". Sometimes, I try to do it all before she gets here, but it's no good. I will be alone over the Easter weekend. 4 days stuck in the house. I might go mad.
I did have a better day today, after 2 weepy ones. The weather in Sydney at the moment is HOT and that is not helping. My stockings are driving me mad and I just want to go somewhere cool and get some relief. I will be having my other hip done during the cooler months.

We'll keep in touch over the weekend so you don't go stark raving mad. Thankfully I haven't had to wear the stockings (except for one on the good leg??? while in hospital). But they are the bane of everyone's life. How are they if you wet them and leave them wet on your skin? Might be a bit cooling, or maybe they don't work so well wet. It's been pretty warm here too, but probably not as hot as Sydney. Wow, your friend is awesome, coming everyday! I am staying with my mum which has been great. She took me to a beach the other day and we had an ice cream, just a little trip out but it was fantastic! I plan to move back to my house next week. I have a flatmate but I don't expect her to look after me. And it was really hard in the first few days home. Had to have help showering, god my mum hasn't seen me naked since I was perhaps 9!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom