TKR Allin1's left knee TKR

allin1

Country
United States United States
I thought I would track my recovery from having my left knee replaced. I suffered a full dislocation of my left knee as a 16 year old, complete with crushing my Popliteal artery. It's been painful on and off the last 10 years, and then it become painful all the time due to osteoarthritis. During the consult with orthopedic surgeon, he asked what took me so long?
Surgery is on 5/20. I'll try to come back and update as soon as I can after the surgery.

It’s not an easy road, but it’s so worth it! I’m on my 4th surgery in 5 years, and hopefully my last- and never hesitated! It’s so worth the results, and will feel like a little blip of time once you are on the other side of it!

@allin1 I am glad I found the forum but I am glad I didn't find it *before* my surgery for the reasons you state - I don't blame you for staying away from recovery threads for the time being. My PT said the same thing as Jaycey....many patients without a lot of recovery issues don't post here and/or didn't think to even search for a forum like this. I found the forum because I was searching out recovery guidelines and risks specific to PKR's. Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery.

@partialfixFeb I was sort of joking but sort of serous. Don't want to get into a negative mind set, and as you and @Jaycey mention people are more likely to post problems than successes. Now I'm researching ice machines. Looks like they might be worth the ~$200 expense? And thanks for the well wishes!

@allin1 If I had to do it over, I would definitely get one of the top ice machines that others mention on this website and spend the $$$. I used an old Aircast Cyro cuff from my husband's ACL surgeries that I loved (gentle compression ) but there are others that are better. I am all about the icing and I believe there are some places that rent them out and sell you the cuff.

I hope yours goes well @allin1 ! I read the recovery threads & was glad there were positive ones in there, but was still terrified. i had bilateral TKR on Mar 16 ( the day before the shut down- if they had cancelled, I may have chickened out permanently) so not quite 9 weeks ago & am so very very glad I had it done! My recovery has gone so much better then I expected & I can walk without pain for the 1st time in years.

Allin1, welcome along. I think most folk on here would agree that the actual knee pain from bone on bone is gone, most of the issues you read about are related to the recovery of unused muscle and ligaments from years of ' hobbling'. The surgery itself is very straightforward and nothing to fret about. Id suggest you follow the great advice you get on here. All the folk posting have been through what you re about to go through so listen up and pick their brains. No such thing as a daft question. Good luck.

@allin1 I'm on hold for a TKR and I've been reading both the good and bad, just as a what could happen. I've been doing my exercises trying to strengthen my arms and legs to be prepared for the best possible recovery. What I've heard the most is strengthen be your quad. I thought of every excuse not to the surgery, but when I thought of my quality of life that changed my mind. Crazy as it sounds I'm now looking forward to it.

@Nelly Sounds like you are doing prehab. I did some, especially bike riding to try to strengthen my knee and leg. Crazy as it sounds, I am ready to get it over with! Picked up some pre surgery meds today, think I'll get a few more tomorrow.

@allin1 - it sounds like you are as ready as you're going to be. You are going to do great. I'm happy for you. Just think you're closer and closer to getting a new knee and these months of recovery will be a easy compared to the 10 years you've been suffering. Please update on us on how you are doing.

Pre and post op meds that I've picked up so far:
Oxycodone 5mg 20 count
Tramadol 60
Celecoxib 200mg 30 (Celebrex)
Gabapentin 300mg 45
Ondansetron 4mg 5 (for Nausea)
Cephalexin 500mg 3 (assume to prevent infection)
Aspirin 325mg 42 (assume for anti clotting)
Tylenol ES 500mg Over the counter

As far as I know, this is it.
When they called into the Celecoxib to Walgreens, the price with insurance was $217! Apparently not covered under my plan. I got online and found a Good RX discount at a grocery store pharmacy for $15. Everything else was reasonable at Walgreens. I sure wish things could just be priced at that price and we didn't have to look for discounts, but there ya go.

I have the Cryo Cuff motorized ice machine and it was a life saver for me.
Good luck!

@allin1 - Were all those medications you listed prescribed by your surgeon or your own doctor?
You may not need them all.

Gabapentin can have some unwanted side effects and it isn't to be taken lightly. If you do take it, wean off it gradually, as coming off too quickly can be unpleasant.

Yes, Aspirin is probably prescribed to prevent blood clots. It may not be a good idea to take Celebrex at the same time, as it is an NSAID and those drugs also increase a tendency to bleed.

Those were all prescribed by the surgeon. Thanks for the heads up on the gabapentin. Seems like my surgeon believes it helps with nerve pain from the surgery. I'll see how my pain is, and will take less than recommended if I'm doing ok.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts