TKR Allin1's left knee TKR

Stairs I am able to do most times now. If I'm really tired or sore I revert back to one at a time. I bet you are close!

Had my 6 week check up. The PT at the surgeon's office did her evaluation, 0 extension, 110 flex. The 110 flex was cold, with some work it is closer to 120. They said before surgery I was 0 /112, so pretty much from a flexibility stand point I'm as good now as I was. She seemed aghast that I had been on my real bike on the road, she said falling could be bad. Which I get, but I'm ridding in a quiet neighborhood on quiet streets, so I think I'm fine. Surgeon seemed happy with it. I don't know if he does it on purpose, or if he says it to everyone, but he strokes my male ego by saying "that was one bad knee" every time he sees my before X-Ray. Makes me feel better about the surgery, lol.
So, everything going well. If I do too much walking, I know it. But for the most part, pain is not part of daily movement, which is nice.
I have two more out patient therapy sessions, the second being a reevaluation. I guess based on that, we may end therapy.
Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans. To our UK friends, sorry, it had to be done! :)

Last edited:
What a great report! I'm glad you hear you are doing so well.

Awesome 6 week report! Hope you and all that great flex enjoy the holiday!

At PT on Monday, the therapist noticed a small red spot along my incision. He wasn't too concerned, but wanted me to keep an eye it. Thought I would put it out to the community, and see if anyone thinks there should be a reason for concern. I'm not running fever, but it does look like there is a second spot now. The joint is a little warm, but I think its been a little warm since the surgery. The top of my knee is tan from bike ridding, not red. Its the spot on the right side of the scar just below the knee cap. If it is an infection I'd rather catch it sooner than later!
@Jamie @sistersinhim

i IMG_1789.jpg IMG_1786.jpg

Last edited:
Have you sent photos to your doctor? That would be a good thing to do. To me, it looks like some irritation. Swelling and increased pain usually comes with an infection. I'll let the other staff members take a look and see what they think.

It looks very similar to a couple of red areas I had after my revision. The OS watched them, and had me send him daily pics for a bit until they finally faded away. I'd message your OS and let him decide if it's anything to worry about or not.

I agree with your surgeon that the best thing to do is just watch the red areas. If they get larger, that might be a concern. I don't know how much bicycling you're doing or the intensity, but you might cut back on that for a while. It's pretty early in your recovery to be doing long bike trips or cycling up and down hills. You need to keep your scar out of the sun for a while longer too. Use a good sunscreen or cover your scar to protect the new baby skin.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The longest distance I've cycled is 3 miles, and it is a pretty flat route. I've only done it 3 or 4 times, so I don't think it is that. I did get in the pool on the 4th of July. I used sunblock on the scar, but maybe not thoroughly, not sure. I have sent the pictures to Dr's office, waiting to hear back. They haven't gotten any bigger, but they don't appear to be fading.
It seemed late in the game to get an infection, but then I remembered they want me to take antibiotic before every teeth cleaning, so I guess one could get an infection anytime.
I don't seem to have a fever, but I am concerned that it may be very mildly swollen along the incision, where the red spot is.

Here are a couple of pictures of the red areas I had on my leg after my surgery. As I mentioned, my OS kept a close eye on them for a while until they started to fade away.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 370
  • red2.jpg
    red2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 345
Thanks, those do look similiar. Mine are more along the incision, which was one reason I was a little worried. The nurse from the surgeons office called me, and they decided to put me on weeks worth of cephalexin. So I've started it. It may be overkill, but when it comes to infection I'd rather catch it sooner than later. I'll give it a few days and report back.

I finished the antibiotic and if it was an infection, it looks like it killed it. Two month anniversary today, and I would say its going probably a little better than I expected. Did a 6 mile bike ride today.

Sounds like you are doing great! Awesome bike ride!

Thanks. I don't want to make it sound all butterflies and rainbows, I ended up with some soreness after the bike ride. If I sit for a while, the first two or three steps still look like I have arthritis. Haven't figured that one out, because after the first 3 or 4 steps its ok and I know its not the joint. I'm finally able to sleep pretty much any way I want. There is still room for improvement, but I'm better off already than I was pre surgery, as far as walking around and pain.

Oh how I wish I could sleep any way I want. That is currently my issue... my body is DONE with back sleeping but not ready for side sleeping.

@JennyLynne Can you prop a pillow under your knee while you are on your side? I did that early on.
Graduated rehab yesterday. I thought we were going to do a couple more sessions, but he said he didn't have much more to offer. Not sure if insurance was pushing him to finish, guess I should have questioned it a little more but truth is I think I can do it on my own. It was nice getting some care I didn't have to pay for, since my high deductible was finally met.

Congrats on your graduation!!

also... I am the queen of pillows! I sleep with an arsenal of them,haha

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020