TKR Allin1's left knee TKR

So I'm just past my 11 week recovery mark. My knee is now smaller than it has been in probably 25 years! It is almost as small as my non OA knee. The scar has also really healed nicely. It still is tight at times, but I go long periods of the day without thinking about my knee. I'm not the best
photographer, but here are a couple
20200807_162255.jpg
20200807_162233.jpg

Three month and a few days update. I am happy with my knee replacement. I am certainly already better off than I was pre surgery, and hopefully have room for a little more improvement. I have done some 20 mile bike rides. It gets a little sore after something like that, but the soreness goes away quickly. I probably won't update again until my next Dr's visit in November.

I probably won't update again until my next Dr's visit in November.

And here I thought I was on the sunny side of life. My knee is still ok, but I must have over done it, somehow. I really don't think it was the bike riding. It is sore behind the kneecap, of all places. A 3 on my pain scale, enough to irritate me. I will be icing and resting until it feels better. Guess we can never let our guard down...

Remember it's a lengthy process, it can take up to a year to fully heal! How much are you biking? Maybe it's just a little too far? I am 11 weeks now and went shopping Sun and was out for several hours and my calf is killing me lol but my knee was just moderately achy, so I did the same, iced and elevated for a bit! Hope you feel better soon!

You're at the stage where you feel pretty good and so it's easy to push it just a bit too far. Backing off a bit for the moment as you're doing is just the thing to do. :ok:

I've been riding about 3 times a week, usually 45 minutes to an hour. At the time the pain started, I hadn't done a ride for a few days. I think it was the house work! You think I can sell that to my wife?

Housework can be challenging to a new knee, but nah, I don't think she'll buy it under the circumstances. :heehee:

Checking in at 10 months. For me it has been a great change in my life. I'm back to riding my bike and doing some walking. I still have some low level of pain while riding my bike, but it always is short lived and feels stronger all the time.

Great to hear!

So, went to Carlsbad caverns last weekend. Did about 3 miles of walking in the cave, a lot of it on a severe downslope. The next day did a 4.2 mile hike in the Guadalupe national forest. Lots of sore muscles and one bad blister, but my knee was great!

@allin1 Great update! So glad that knee is behaving.

So, I'm one day short of a year for my new left knee. I know many folks here have had issues with their knee replacements, but mine has been a real blessing. It wasn't all roses the first few weeks, but at this point I'm able to walk well as far as I want. I've ridden up to 25 miles on my bike, and hope to extend that this summer. There is a part of me that wants to ride the Transamerica trail, from Astoria Oregon to Yorktown, Virginia. 4200 miles. Might take me two months. That would be a 2022 or 2023 goal. Not sure if it will happen, but it is in the back of my mind.

allin, WONDERFUL report! It gives all of us tremendous hope for full recovery eventually. Thanks for sharing this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back