BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

allergy to nickel

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by neelie, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neelie

neelie new member

This is my first time here. I was all set to have bilateral TKR on August 11th and it has been cancelled. I always knew I had a metal allergy and thought it was to nickel but was never tested. Well I was just tested and had a strong reaction to nickel. I was told of the oxinium replacement with no nickel in it. Does anyone have this replacement. I've seen alot of recalls and lawsiuts with the oxinium

2. sbrown

sbrown new member

I think the lawsuits and recalls were zirconia. What happened was a company in France changed its technique and baked the zirconia in a tunnel furnace instead of the usual batch furnace. The tunnel furnace did not prepare the zirconia properly and femoral balls from those batches tended to fracture. The balls (from those few batches) were recalled and the company in no longer making zirconia. Oxinium is made differently. Another option could be the new Alumina-zirconia ceramic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.