Revision THR Allergic to second hip replacement

Kf218907

Country
United States United States
Hello
Help, erythema, itching, on fire low grade temp, eosinophils 15.2 i had aseptically loosened right hip revision 3 weeks ago these symptoms started day 2. The original acetabular cup never ossified. Fibrous gelatenous goo found on cup, cultures negative Surgeon never did histology. C reactive 0.3 sed rate 20. Rdw elevated. Sought out new ortho as my original surgeon mute and idiotic. I think i am allergic to something in this second hip help

I believe i have an allergy to my second hip replacment three weeks ago. I think it is why i aseptically loosened for past two years since right hip first done and was never right from beginning June 2018
I dont care it is metal on ceramic i have erythrma, low grade fever, hot, itching vesicles and bullae first week, incision fine area around incision and hip. Infernal itching!!! Eosinophils 15.2 fou d new ortho friday. Do i see derm or immunology??

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Will you please leave the exact dates for both surgeries and which hip was replaced below so we can better advise? Thank you in advance.

Have you met with the new Ortho, or only scheduled an appointment? If you’ve met with him, what did he advise? You need to speak with someone about your symptoms. If you’re unable to speak with the Orthopedic surgeon, or a member of his care team, please contact your Primary Care Physician for advice.

In the meantime please read through the Recovery Guidelines and let us know what you hear. Best of luck to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Kf218907

Hello @Kf218907 - and :welome:

I'm sorry to read you have had problems with your hip replacements.

To clarify that for us and enable us to make a signature for you, please will you tell us the full date of each hip replacement and which hip it is each time?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It's possible that, rather that an allergy to the metal in your hip replacement, your skin is allergic to either the lotions that were used on it immediately before surgery, or to something in the dressing that was applied.

Do you have a history of being allergic to metal objects used externally, such as ear rings?
Have you ever been tested for metal allergy?

The most effective way of establishing if you have a metal allergy is to to get a full metal allergy blood test. That's more definitive than skin testing. You can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel . You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP/PCP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing.

@Kf218907 You need to call your surgeon's office immediately. Unfortunately this isn't something that can be resolved via the internet. Please call today and update when you can.

@Kf218907
I've moved one of your posts from someone else' thread and put it in your own thread, which is this one.

Please continue to post in this thread from now on.

First surgery june 2015
Second 7/17. I am told both are and were ceramic on metal. Mu left hip 2015 is MOM according to original surgeon, but PA friday said its not...
I saw PA on friday for new surgeon.
She has not spoke to him yet he is in tomorrow.

Sorry i ut in wrong place. Thanks for fixinf

Thanks for the dates and good luck to you. If the Ortho’s office doesn’t get back to you tomorrow, please call again, or notify your PCP.
I hope you receive answers leading to speedy resolution.
@Kf218907

I believe i have an allergy to my second hip replacment three weeks ago. I think it is why i aseptically loosened for past two years since right hip first done and was never right from beginning June 2018
i had aseptically loosened right hip revision 3 weeks ago these symptoms started day 2.
First surgery june 2015
Second 7/17
. I am told both are and were ceramic on metal. My left hip 2015 is MOM according to original surgeon, but PA friday said its not...
I'm sorry, @Kf218907 , but it still isn't clear whether you've had one hip or both hips replaced - see the words I've put into red font in my quotations from your posts, above.

Did you have your left hip or your right hip replaced in June 2015?
By 7/17, do you mean July 2017 or July 17, 2020?

Sorry, my left hip was replaced 12/15. Right hip initially replaced 7/18 and it was never right, inquinal groin pain, felt like it slipped and was never sure. Diagnosed aseptic loosening 6/20 second hip replacement revision done 7/17/20.

I called my md, he is and has been on vacation. Explained, pain, itching swelling redness on and around surgixal right hip done 2nd time on 7/17/20. First THR on right hip done 7/2015. Aseptic loosening. I geel i am allergic ro the acetabular cup as no ossification in 2 years occured with first hip revision. Md office xalled sent me to ER. Blood work show elevated eosinophils, sed rate increased from 20 to 28 in last week and ultrasound shows deep hematoma the size of my hand. They sent mw home and would bot call md on call from ER. I called Md office next morning, PA stated i would have to wait to see Md on my scheduled appt 7/27. I am concerned as i feel awful and no one is listening. I dont know what to do.....

Can you see your PCP? You should not wait 7 days if you have an infection. Either that or call and insist on talking to the surgeon directly. You might need to be firm but this should be investigated ASAP.

You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Spoke with orthopaedic surgeon's staff, cannot make it past physician assistants. Surgeon is on vacation until Tuesday. I specifically asked to speak with covering surgeon. They told me unless I the wound ruptures, drains, oozes from the hip or the surgical site, to wear bicycle shorts, ice and see him 7/27.

They playcated me that my labs 2 weeks ago were normal and when I pointed out I went to ER and labs were normal, except eosinophils they were high and sed rate has gone up from 20 two weeks ago, to 28, and that ultrasound found a hemotoma/seroma no aspiration done.

The nurse questioned that I was even at ER until she looked at my record and response was oh.. pain...Since I lived for two years already with an aseptically loosened hip that I was one screw away from dislocation that period.

Pain is same into groin but since the md placed 2 screws I don't have the slipping feeling in the joint. Pain additionally is in the swollen throbbing hip internally and skin hurts and on exterior beyond mid thigh.

They stated I could always go back to original surgeon. Not on my life will I go back. His not placing a drain and placing a screw put me here in first place. Only pain medication is ibuprofen 800 mg twice a day. Thanks for listening

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Happy Friday,
I’m sorry you’re struggling and feel you’re not getting the attention you deserve.
I‘m assuming you meant 8/27 as opposed to 7/27 as your next appointment date?
Since that is only six days away, I hope you can hold out hope that you may make some headway at that meeting and feel more confident going forward. It’s unfortunate you’re feeling placated rather than reassured. With any luck the meeting with your surgeon next Thursday leads to the answers you’re seeking.
Please keep us posted. We’re here if you need us.
@Kf218907

Thank you my apologies I meant 7/27 , however the doctors office called friday and i see the MD tomorrow. As i am told he is the only MD in the practice that can do aspiration via fluoroscopy, pain is as if I never had the recision done minus the slipping and instability feeling due to now having 2 screws vs 1 screw done in 2015 right hip replacement. Itching, hip area around incision site feels tight and the actual incision is a dimple that is 12 inches long as i went feom a 4 in incision the first rime to a 12 in one now. I am looking for resolution to the unaswered questions and clarity for a plan .
I have a question? In NYS, can the NP be the surgical assistant?

Hopefully you get some answers tomorrow when you see the surgeon, please keep us posted. Sorry, know nothing about NYS, I'm assuming that's New York state.

Yes, in NYS a NP can be a surgical assistant as long as they meet hospital guidelines and their practice credentials. Is there a reason why you are asking this question?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom