TKR Allergic to material in bone cement (benzoyl peroxide)

Pain Full

Country
United States United States
I am desperate for help. I had a knee placement in 2017 and was never able to bend the knee or walk due to scar tissue. I am having another knee placement but my recent patch testing showed a mild positive reaction to benzoyl peroxide which is used in bone cements. The surgeon I saw in Boston feels that this was the issue. Does anyone know if there are any bone cements that do not use benzoyl peroxide? It is used initiate the polymerization of the methylmethacrylate monomer. I am only 58 and have lost the last 3 years of my life.

Hello @Pain Full - and :welome:I'm sorry you've had so much of a problem with your knee.

It's not done very often, but it is possible to have a knee replacement without using bone cement. To do this requires a slightly different type of implant.

A cementless prosthesis (implant), also called a press-fit prosthesis, has a rough surface or porous coating that encourages the natural bone to grow onto it. New bone growth will span only 1 or 2 mm, so the surgeon must use special tools to shape the natural bone to fit snugly with the prosthesis.

This is something you need to discuss with your surgeon.

Please will you tell us the full date of your initial replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much for your reply! I had a nickel free knee replacement on July 12, 2017. I felt I was allergic to metal due to tremendous difficulty I had with earrings and when I bought nickel free earrings, I had no issues, so the doctor said he would go with a nickel free knee. But I fear the issue was the cement. I am so scared and my pain dr. said the next route to take (if the knee replacement isn't possible) would be genicular ablation where they burn the nerves in your leg to help deaden the pain.

FWIW, I've had very good luck with both my cementless knees. Recently reached 9 years for knee #1.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks