Revision THR All is well! No problems with cables per doc

Enough to make me cry a few tears of joy and gratitude this morning.
Aww, I love this! You're a happy camper! :happydance:
May it keep getting better. :)

Hi there, longish update.
Yesterday morning the swelling was down considerably and the scar was almost flattened out.
But then the weather was changing quickly and a freeze was coming on here in Austin. I have about 10 plants that I needed to move inside. None are super heavy but I think the extra activity exhausted me. I was so tired so I rested and elevated from 4pm on. However at some point I just could not sleep that well. I had only taken one tramadol and aspirin in the morning. My hip became really warm around 10 pm and then during the night I could feel pain in the hip area. Enough to wake me up. Wide awake. I had 3/4the of an Oxy left so I broke that up into 1/3rds. I was able to get about 20 minutes sleep around 8 am. i decided to really take it easy today. Plus it might be icy outside so I wasn’t going to find out by slipping.

At 6 weeks I am not sure about pain med protocol. My doct stopped prescribing Oxy 3 weeks ago so I have been slowly taking less. I had stopped for a week but this morning it hurt enough to take the last bit.

After the first surgery coming off of Oxy was a tear fest so I want to be careful. However I just read one of the articles you provided and now I think I should talk to the surgeon about what pain meds I should be taking at this point.

I am supposed to see him on Thursday but it may still be icy so I think that will be rescheduled.

Also, Tramadol does help with pain but it also gives me a weird busy energy. I have a lot of that because I can’t take that much. I am honestly worried about how it gives me energy. I have looked at the chart on post surgery energy drain. I am really just at 6 weeks and I have felt that overwhelming exhaustion. I have taken it pretty easy because I know how important rest is. But not being able to sleep last night was the first time since this all began.

and because the first surgery failed I worry about this one. it had been a 4 month unexpected journey so far.

so here I am trying to be calm on 5 hours of sleep. Hoping tonight is better.

Hi @Wheatsiebat
After my BTHR, I really had a tricky time with sleep.... seemed unusually long time (the first 4 months) compared to other members (very frustrating) :groan:

Getting comfortable and staying comfortable enough to get more consecutive hours was hard along with probably a messed up Circadian rhythm since I was so so sleep deprived for at least a year pre-op.
The deficit in sleep, added to the dreaded Energy Drain added to increased activity certainly can leave one feeling exhausted.
I tried not to nap thinking it would lead to longer hours, but Power naps were finally the way I could get in extra shuteye and were necessary for me.

I wonder if you make sure took the Tramadol with food whether it would help with the nervous energy?
Pre-op, I gave up on all manners of OTC pain medications, as they really did not help....
and post-op ... I did the high power meds, then Tramadol, then the full amount of Tylenol allowed to manage aches. The Tylenol actually did work for my post pain. Maybe you can try this.

Lots of ebb and flow in this recovery business, but now that I am some years out, I do not regret the struggles after THR that has me back to healthy, happy, AND sleeping!
Hope today is a better day!

I'm by no means qualified to prescribe a medication but on the nights I have difficulty getting comfortable and sleeping a take a melatonin gummy.
But always check with your doctor first cause possible drug interactions.
I take it and about 20 minutes later I fall asleep.
That ice storm you folks are getting in Texas is terrible! My son lives in Aledo and been working from home last two days and no school for kids.
Stay in, ice is so dangerous.

Would a Benadryl tablet help you at night? I know it's often used in conjunction with what we in the States call Tylenol. Benadryl has helped me at times when I have trouble sleeping.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the sleep suggestion! I will try THR melatonin gummy. For some reason I don’t do well with Benadryl. My surgeon prescribed Traxadone which kind of worked. I still woke up with hip pain in the night. I don’t know if I am dreaming it or really experiencing it. 4 nights in a row.

On Thursday, the surgeon said the X-ray looked like I was healed. He said 6 more weeks until the hip is solidified and there will be less of a chance to dislocate it.
I am doing my PT and walking. Resting and elevating with some ice. Still have swelling that comes and goes. Ebb and flow of recovery.

I am also still going through periods where I feel exhausted. I don’t know if is the surgery, life or trying to cut back on Tramadol. Or all above!

Probably all of the above! Still have days that I need to lay down for an hour.
Slow and steady, we all get there some of us sooner, some of us a little later than hoped for.
Happy Sunday!

Hello

I wanted to give an update on the hip.
The only painkiller I have taken in the last 5 days is Aleve. I stopped Tramadol by slowly weaning off of it.! I thought it might be causing me to feel shaky. But the shakiness persisted so I am switching to decaf coffee tomorrow. I read somewhere that if you are low on calcium or magnesium then coffee can cause people to be jittery. So I took the quite large calcium pills tonight.

When I have had energy I have been able to walk pain free. My pace has picked up a bit. I also went to the hot yoga classes but took it really easy. I was shocked at the muscle loss and lack of mobility but I am seeing improvements each day. It is incredibly exciting to be able to stretch and walk. PT was also helpful. The last week has been the biggest improvement I have had. Still swelling in the hip but it is better.

I did have to cancel a dinner date with some friends earlier in the week because I was so exhausted. But I am resting when I need to and am trying to eliminate anything that might be causing the exhaustion or shakiness.

I have been rereading everything you all have written. It is all so important!

I hope everyone is having a great week!

Thanks for sharing an update. You seem to be doing well!
As far as the exhaustion goes, it's normal.

Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all of the other activity of daily life. It is normal to tire easily for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Make your best effort to get adequate sleep and rest.

Have a wonderful weekend!
@Wheatsiebat

Hello, Wheatsiebat,
How are you doing two months post revision? Hopefully even better than last time you posted. Please let us know next time you’re on the forum. Wishing you only the best and hope to hear from you soon. Happy Anniversary!
@Wheatsiebat

Hello Layla!
I am doing great! I have lots more energy. I haven’t had the dreaded energy drain in about 2 weeks.
The swelling is down. (Still a little bit) I have been able to go to hot yoga every day and have seen amazing progress. The last 3 weeks have been a huge improvement.
Not perfect but I have a whole year to get there. I am just so grateful to walk and do yoga. And to be able to think!
I even like my 2 scars now. They kind of symbolize that I can do very hard things. But my goodness I feel so grateful to be on the other side of a good surgery.
Thank you for checking on me. ❤️❤️

You're welcome! My pleasure, especially in reading such a positive update.
You're doing great. May it only get better, Wheatsiebat!

I even like my 2 scars now. They kind of symbolize that I can do very hard things
I like this. It is a nice way to view it.
All the best to you as you continue healing. Stay in touch!

After having several weeks with the swelling seemingly gone it is back a bit. I haven’t done anything differently than I am aware of. I will see how tomorrow goes.

Hello @Wheatsiebat
How are you doing and has the swelling dissipated? If you've stopped icing, consider starting again when you notice an increase in swelling, or fear you may have overdone it activity wise. I hope you're enjoying your new hip most days. Happy Four Month Anniversary!

The swelling comes and goes. I am surprised it is still around after 4 months. Sometimes the scar feels itchy too.
But overall doing well!

Swelling can come and go for months, even up to one year post op, per my surgeon.
Overactivity can cause it, as can too little activity.

If the itching becomes severe, you may obtain relief through the use of a frozen gel pack (cold compress) which helps by numbing the area, reducing the itching sensation. If you're not already using anything topical some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.
Best Wishes for a good week!
@Wheatsiebat

Thank you so much! I was sitting at my computer for several hours today. First time I have done this in many months so I think that caused it.
Truly appreciate all the information!

I was sitting at my computer for several hours today. First time I have done this in many months so I think that caused it.
I agree!
If you need to do this, consider getting up at regular intervals to stretch and walk around for five minutes or so. You can do some ankle pumps too while sitting. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom