Revision THR All is well! No problems with cables per doc

Wheatsiebat

Country
United States United States
Doc confirmed cables were perfect.
Hi all! I had a Super PATH left THR on September 29th, 2022. I had a lot of pain and never seemed to be improving so on week 9 it was discovered that my femur was broken and the stem had slipped. My original surgeon never thought there was a problem so I found out from another surgeon.
I found an excellent surgeon who did a revised surgery on December 20th, 2022. He replaced the stem which he said was very loose and too small for my femur. He wrapped the femur with 3 cables. 1st photo is after the surgery. The second photo was taken today 1/11.2023. It show the top cable has migrated downwards. (I did have a popping sensation on Friday 1/6 that I reported to the drug’s office.) The PA did not notice this but I did as soon as I came home to compare X-rays. I called the surgeon‘s office and he wants to evaluate me first thing on 1/12. They said to limit my movement. Other than that there is no feedback.
This has me worried sick that I might have a 3rd surgery.
anyone have experience on this?

Attachments

• D535DAF2-30B3-40AA-95C5-F2CB16F1CA78.jpeg
    D535DAF2-30B3-40AA-95C5-F2CB16F1CA78.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Uggghhh...
No I haven't, I did have small fracture detected on my first post op XRay after month one of recovery. OS said light weight bearing for next 4 weeks and see if fracture resolves itself otherwise back on the chooping block.
Fortunately it did begin to heal on its own and last week had XRay and all parts where they belong and fracture took care of itself.
I'm wishing you only the best outcome here, no one wants another surgery let along a third.

Thank you for your reply!

Yesterday my hip felt so much better. The swelling had gone down and I was pain free. This morning I went on a short tour but was standing and walking for over a hour on a cane. The swelling came back along with discomfort. I was embarrassed about walking with a cane for some reason. I have been on a cane for months but today I felt vulnerable. I came home, cried and iced. Just a disappointment after feeling so well yesterday. I think the recovery time and not being able to work out is getting to me.
tomorrow should be better.

Attachments

• 14897CB3-3B87-47DC-BA8F-0EDB17EF3B51.jpeg
    14897CB3-3B87-47DC-BA8F-0EDB17EF3B51.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 86
I am glad your doctor reassured you about the cerclage wire :) :-) (: and the swelling improved.

I'm sorry you had a hard day, but your body certainly let you know that it isn't ready for that outing...less than a month out from this revision...there is alot of healing still happening.
So much of this recovery business is mental and I had a hard time keeping my patience muscle toned up, too.:sigh:
I hope your Sunday is chilled.:ice:

I hope you're feeling better since you last posted. It's a month to date since your revision. Happy One Month Anniversary!
Let us know how you're doing as time allows, we'd love to follow your progress on your way back to all you love...without the pain! A great weekend to you. :)
@Wheatsiebat

Wow, thank you for checking in on me!
My swelling has gone down considerably in the last week. I have been walking well although the surgeon says to continue to use the cane until week 6. I am been feeling so much better that I started little garden projects to get outside a bit. The PA said it is okay to walk around the block with a cane which I am doing 3-4 times a week.
My range of motion is still somewhat limited to what I was used to. I was a very flexible yoga person before. But I am thrilled I can walk again.I do get tired quickly but I figure that I am still healing.
My mental health is a thousand times better now that I see that healing is possible. My first surgery was so astounding and left me immobile. That was quite unexpected and the surgeon was somewhat inept at figuring out what was wrong.
But, here I am hopeful and seeing my body healing.
Seriously, thank you for asking! It means the world to me. ❤️

You're welcome!
I do get tired quickly but I figure that I am still healing.
This is very common. You're not alone in feeling this way and with two major surgeries within three months, it's no surprise.

Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

You're doing great. It's nice to hear you're feeling better too.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Wheatsiebat

Thank you! Sometimes I forget that I could not even get to my mail box so walking around the block is significant. And I do believe if I even slightly overdo it my hip lets me know pretty quickly now.
I was able to see a broadway show today in Austin but I am quite exhausted from it. It is a balance of resting and getting out.
I honestly cannot tell you how much it means to me to hear from other people on here. ❤️

I think you are exactly correct, a good balance of activity and rest is the way to go, it's amazing how our bodies let us know when to go when to stop.
What show did you see, I love Broadway shows, I just saw Les Miserables late November for 6-7th time, it's my all time favorite but I have many others I love as well.
My oldest son and brother live in Texas, we visit quite often and I love the state.
Having two replacements in such a short amount of time I think you are doing awesome, keep it up and we will be here.
Have a great Sunday:) :-) (:

I honestly cannot tell you how much it means to me to hear from other people on here.
It's awesome, I agree! Hard to imagine my recovery without the support found here, friendships developed and laughs shared. Thanks for joining us. I hope you'll continue to share your journey. A great week to you!

I think you are exactly correct, a good balance of activity and rest is the way to go, it's amazing how our bodies let us know when to go when to stop.
What show did you see, I love Broadway shows, I just saw Les Miserables late November for 6-7th time, it's my all time favorite but I have many others I love as well.
My oldest son and brother live in Texas, we visit quite often and I love the state.
Having two replacements in such a short amount of time I think you are doing awesome, keep it up and we will be here.
Have a great Sunday:) :-) (:
I saw “Pretty Woman’ which was charming and surprising. It had the romantic elements but threw in some fun dance and elegance. I smiled the whole way through. Wow on Les MIS! I have only seen Hamilton that many times.
At the theatre, I wanted to move to an aisle seat in case I needed to get up. There was one aisle seat open because a friend of a group could not make it. I chatted with the woman next to me and she had had her hips replaced by the office I was going to go to but the surgeon retired. She didn’t have any issues with either hip. It is a very nice office but the new surgeon looked like Joey from Friends. I should have overlooked how good looking he was. lol
My 2 surgeries were really quite different even though they dealt with the same hip. The first one was SuperPATH which I thought sounded like magic per what I read on Facebook. I now see the same person posting at how fantastic it is all the time. It annoys me that I fell for it and that she continues to post about how easy it is compared to other methods. I have even told her my story but she insists it is the best method. She goes on about the quick recovery time. Now that I am coming up on month 5 I want her to put a disclaimer on what she writes. She won’t of course. I have learned a hard lesson. I have learned quite a bit! Not all bad. I certainly will not take walking for granted.

I was able to take 2 short walks today because the weather was so nice. This is the most I have moved in over 4 weeks!
I hope you have a wonderful week!

Pretty Woman sounds lovely, I've watched the movie 1/2 dozen times, guess I'm a hopeless romantic! LOL!
Well now that you've had the SuperPath you can advise others here and everywhere it's not the miracle cure for hip replacement. That's what is so awesome about this group here, we all share our experiences.
Some recover quicker than others and for some Superpath might be way to go, who knows???
Keep up what you are doing and I'm sure it will all work out for you.
Happy Monday!

Some recover quicker than others and for some Superpath might be way to go,
I believe some people will have great results from this approach. I think my experience is unusual in that the stem subsided. I do believe the surgeon could have paid closer attention to my pain updates. So in that regard it wasn’t the method as much as the surgeon.

My hip is still swollen at week 5 but the surgeon said it could be six weeks. Both of my hips feel a bit creaky but that maybe that I am walking more. i have out patient PT tomorrow so looking forward to their take on my hip progress.

The PT was very nice. She did freak me out by starting off with telling me I have gone through a very traumatic experience and because if the 2 surgeries the healing is going to be more like 6 months.
When I mentioned the surgeon and nurse said the swelling and inflammation plus mobility should happen at 6 weeks. The PT said the surgeon just does his job but the timeframe for me will be longer. She even said the swelling might not go down until 8 weeks. Which I can accept. Disappointed but it is still pretty swollen.
But then she said that it was good I was in shape before the surgeries because some people would not recover from the trauma that my body has gone through. So that was the ultimate freak out part of this for me. Because I don’t think she really knows me as all I mentioned is that I had done hatha yoga for 24 years before this happened. She could be using my age as part of her evaluation.

The exercises were fine and I took a mile walk this afternoon which helped my mood.

I see the surgeon on 2-2. I prefer his optimism about my recovery.

Hi @Wheatsiebat

PT was very nice. She did freak me out by starting off with telling me I have gone through a very traumatic experience and because if the 2 surgeries the healing is going to be more like 6 months.
I'm very glad that you seem to have an honest and realistic PT.

No one likes the "down time" of recovery, and we have seen our share of folks who seem more focused on how quickly they can get back to activity, vs how mindfully they can give their hip to heal so this can be their forever hip.
I see the surgeon on 2-2. I prefer his optimism about my recovery.
The PT said the surgeon just does his job but the timeframe for me will be longer.
I can certainly understand how you feel since this hip business has been going on since September and you certainly didn't expect to have to have a revision, but I'm afraid I have to agree with your PT.
The exercises were fine and I took a mile walk this afternoon which helped my mood.
The part I found tricky was that often my increased activity didn't seem too much while I was doing it...but it set me back after the fact.
I ended up breaking up long walks into several shorter walks with lots of icing in between.

I hope you have a very good rest of the week.

I just realized we failed to leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines might help you have an easier recovery.

The article titled Healing: how Iong does it take? was very insightful to me.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hey, it's Lefty's four month anniversary. Happy Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Wheatsiebat

Wow, you are correct! I can’t believe it has been 4 months. It is 6 weeks since the revision surgery tomorrow. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and I have more range of motion. Enough to make me cry a few tears of joy and gratitude this morning.
Thank you! Definitely something to celebrate❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties