BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[PARTIAL KR] All done now onto recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by newpartial, Jun 4, 2019.

1. newpartial

newpartial junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    HI all so my story so far ....

Surgery day .. got into hospital at 6 and met with surgeon at 730. Discussed staples as I had a bad reaction last time do agreed to suture. Ask about PT .. to which he pulled to door slightly shut and in a whisper voice said it’s not rocket scienc... do the initial physio in hospital then let you knee mend then slowly get back to what you want to do. As I want to cycle he said then as time goes by let that be your focus not mention of numbers or rom which I thought was good. Also I was first on the list. The the anaesthetist who suggest ga with femoral block I could be awake or asleep as he uses ultrasound to find the nerve I went for asleep.
    GA unadventful woke up block still in place .. now 12hrs later block stated to ware off so staff given ora morph earlier and icy... we will see what the night brings.
    Best of luck for those having theirs done soon.. so glad it’s over

2. BCSAnna

BCSAnna junior member

United States United States
    @newpartial

Hi fellow June Sunbeam. Great to hear that your surgery went well and that you are now on the recovery side. One week from tomorrow, Cynof4 and I will be joining you over on the recovery side.:)
    Loved the advice from your surgeon regarding PT. :biking:

Wishing you all the best as you continue along the road to full recovery.

Anna:flwrysmile:

3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I love your surgeon!! I wish mine had been like that!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

4. Benay

Benay member

Happy you're done, now onto recovery!

5. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Congratulations and welcome to the other side! This is a great place to be because it means you've had your surgery and are now on the road to taking back your life!

I'm glad to see there are more surgeons like mine who are not gung ho on PT after this surgery. I think it may be hard for them to buck the system of long held treatments, especially if they're part of a group. But, I think the trend of heavy-duty PT after a TKR may just be changing; we shall see.

The only numbers I've known since my revision were back in December when my OS eyeballed my bend and gave me an approximate number, and yesterday when he again eyeballed it and gave me another approx. number. He also checked my extension back in December and said it "was about there" as I recall, or something to that effect.

Your job now is to rest and recover, and spend as much time as you can icing and elevating in between short walks to the bathroom and around your home (or hospital room while you're still there). Read the articles Jockette left for you as you're able-especially, IMO, the activity progression one. That turned out to be my favorite and I read it daily to remind me not to become a couch potato and do too little, and also not to overdo things, at any point in my recovery. As a result I never became a member of the ODIC this time around. I'm happy for you to have the surgery behind you and now your next journey is recovery! Good luck and keep us posted!

6. newpartial

newpartial junior member

So onto day 2... they got me up, dressed and showered yay. Have a waterproof dressing which is great . Did minimal physio more ankle pumps and getting up and using (shuffling) on the walker. Tomorrow I progress to walking the corridor and maybe stairs?? They have changed my meds from codeine.. I was on codein for some time pre op and not really doing much post op so changed to tramadol...and paracetamol for main pain relief as my take home prescription. While I am in house so to speak I am on all sorts and not complaining. Look like I will be in a couple more days then home . Take care all

7. lovetocookandsew

Sounds like you are having a good day. I'm happy to hear they've got your pain meds sorted out for your benefit. Those showers post surgery are wonderful, aren't they?

8. newpartial

newpartial junior member

So now 5 days in and first night at home last night. I have set up a regular reminder on my phone for meds on a schedule advised by the hospital for the moment (combo of paracetamol/ tramadol/ naproxin/ omeprazole and xarelro) - all seems to be working at keeping the worst pain at bay for now and had a pretty good nights sleep (good to be back in my own bed). I have booked in with the local practice nurse on the 18th June to look at my wound to make sure its all ok (i had dissolvable stitches so do not need for staples or stitches to be removed :happydance:).
    Re physio i am just doing the gentle exercises given to me in the hospital and icing :ice:and back to see the physio in late June. I also see the consultant again 6 weeks post op.
    So generally so far so good and so far would not of changed anything i have done up to now. Walking round the house ok on crutches - taken the advise from my physio that it better to get the gait and walking correct and slow rather than speed along limping.

The general consensus at the hospital (Consultant/ Anesthetist/ Nursing staff and Physio is that the approach and recovery for the patella femoral should be seen the same as for a total knee replacement) - which is what this site states but lots of websites state is will be quicker!!

That's it for now be interesting how the next few days go now i am back home with the family and dog and everything that goes with that.:heehee:

9. Jockette

My Patellofemoral has been much slower than many totals.

10. newpartial

newpartial junior member

So weekend update - was expecting my Mum on Sunday as she was coming to give me a hand but she has fallen and broken her arm!! - so I do have hubby (but works late) and 3 kids (school) so home alone during the day now (along with my doggy). I do not feel too bad and just have to crack on with it as no other option.
    The pain is ok at the moment and i am walking unaided - albeit very slowly. Sleeping again not too bad only waking once last night to rearrange my position.
    So far so good - its so nice to not have the horrible 'burning pain' which used to keep me up night before the op - so although in pain it is a different type of pain.
    I am finding it hard not to be able to bend my leg - really frustrating although i do have to keep reminding myself if less than a week :) :-) (:
    So off to ice some more now :ice:- had a flurry of activity - doing some washing and ironing - living the life ha!

11. Benay

Benay member

Hope you continue to progress and hope you can find the time for lots of rest :alarm:

12. lovetocookandsew

I'm sorry to hear about your mom and hope she is soon mended. I'm also glad to see you're coming along nicely. Did I understand correctly, you've been doing laundry so soon? Not a good idea, as you're only 6 days out. I'm thinking you need to read the activity progression article again as you sound as if you're doing too much. I read that one daily to remind me not to do too much, or too little, at any given point in my recovery; it's a good reminder to do so.

If your kids are school age, they should be able to help when they're home, carrying laundry to the washer and putting it in at the very least. And you did some ironing also? :bignono: This is your time to recover from your surgery, and over-doing won't help. I know as a mom you want to keep doing for your family, but this is their time to do for you as much as they are able. Some things may need to be left undone for a time, and other absolutely necessary things can be done by your husband when he's home and also the kids when they're home. Even young children can be helpful, so let them know that right now mom is out of service for chores, and they need to fill in for you until you're able again. But, you're still available for hugs, kisses, reading books and similar fun stuff; it's just the daily chores that need to fall elsewhere for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. newpartial

newpartial junior member

Ok thanks it’s just so hard to sit back when you can see things that need doing .. but will try and step back a little and rest more :elevate:

• Like Like x 1
  14. lovetocookandsew

Believe me, I know how hard it is to allow others to do what you would like to be doing, and seeing things done differently, or not as thoroughly, as you do them is hard. But, your job right now is to let that knee recover so you can get back to doing those things you love to do for your family and home. My husband was a great help, but it was hard to see things done his way instead of my way......I guess I am too particular....:heehee:

I still remember walking into my kitchen one day and seeing one of the counters full of all kinds of stuff instead of being put in the cabinets. I asked him why everything was on the counter, and he said something to the effect that why put the stuff away since he'd just have to get it all out to use again.....I had to bite my tongue hard that day.:rotfl:

15. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The less you do now, the more you can do later. Doing too much now will just inflame more an already inflamed knee and slow down your healing. Remember that less done is more healing!

16. newpartial

newpartial junior member

So just over a week now so a little update. Still on full meds and knee starting to bend a little more - getting to a right angle now - but no more. I am just doing the very light physio exercises (heel slides etc).The recovery is so different from my previous knee ops as with those you really did have to push yourself but this one is slower - which is totally frustrating me. I know i just have to go with it but it very hard.
    I have my wound check on the 18th - its looks fine to me but be good to get the all clear on that one as well.
    I have also got my 6 week consultant appoint through as well so everything seems to be in order.
    I never thought doing nothing would be so hard!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jockette

You’re not doing nothing, you’re giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. (@Roy Gardiner says it better)

18. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

A kind namecheck from Jockette there

'When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'doing nothing' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.

• Like Like x 2
  19. newpartial

newpartial junior member