THR All done 6 days post op

CHD2015

Country
United States United States
I had my right hip replaced last Wednesday April 5, 6 days ago. Surgery was at the Joint Center, Memorial Hermann Hospital, Houston TX (Memorial City). The Surgeon was Dr. Kreuzer, Inov8 Orthopedics anterior approach and the device was the Corin Mini-hip, ceramic on poly. Everything has gone super well. I am very blessed that I have not had much pain. Just soreness and some burning in the top of my thigh. Post op instructions were weight bearing as tolerated. These first two weeks they only want me doing some light exercises lying down or sitting up and walking with bilateral support. I am using a walker in my house as it seems to be easier for moving around smaller area and my crutches for going out. I am back at work today. I am able to be seated for periods of time and then walk comfortably with the crutches so everything going well.

@CHD2015 Welcome to the other side.
These first two weeks they only want me doing some light exercises lying down or sitting up and walking with bilateral support.
I don't want to sound harsh but if this is the case why on earth are you back at work only days out? You may not feel you have pain but there is a very real risk you may end up with chronic pain issues. You might want to read this: Phased return to work

I'm going to give you some reading to do. Pay close attention to the activity progression, chart on THR recovery and how long does healing take articles. You may not experience it this early out but the article on energy drain will give you insight on what is to come. Taking this recovery slow and steady will ease the impact of energy drain. But it is real and you can't fight it.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this: Activity progression for THRs

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats on the new hip! Heard great things about Dr Kreuzer and it sounds like you are doing amazingly well :)

Jaycey, Thanks, my activity level is pretty much the same at work as at home. I am sitting for the majority of the time. Get up to use the bath room or get a drink. Using bilateral support when I get up. I am not doing more than the exercises they gave me at the hospital PT session following surgery and walking. I am following all the guidelines of the hip recovery that are in your email.

Horseshoe, Thank you! I was very pleased with Dr. Kreuzer and his entire team. The hospital as well. Post surgery xray showed the hip was inserted perfectly (at least to me). It looked like the pictures in the marketing materials that Corin publishes!

@CHD2015, sounds like recovery is going well for in the early days! Hopefully it continues to go the right way!

How does it feel after being at work for the day?

I'm going in for my surgery next Friday, and hoping to be able to get back to work (on my computer from home) within a few weeks. I don't have any ambition of getting back to my actual office until at least 6 weeks, but if I'm just sitting around at home watching Netflix, I may as well stay caught up in work...

It feels great! A great friend picked me up and brought me to work and my son is picking me up. Shorter hours than I usually work but mentally I am much happier being back at work. As I mentioned in my reply to Jaycey, I really am not doing anything more than what I would be doing at home. Just sitting in front of a computer rather than a tv. Actually I worked a bit from home yesterday. In today's times work can be done anywhere you have internet access. My instructions post op were "weight bearing as tolerated" and nothing more than the exercises they gave me. Move around at least once an hour. Walking is the best physical therapy, always with bilateral support (crutches or walker). Slowing you down, keeping you stable and fall prevention. I don't feel like I am pushing myself. I am not on any narcotic based pain medication and have not been since the day after surgery - just Tylenol and aleve, morning and night. Asprin twice a day for blood thinning. Actually I did not react very well at all to the stronger pain meds (tylenol with codine)

I don't have any ambition of getting back to my actual office until at least 6 weeks
Sounds very reasonable but we can't predict how you will react to major surgery. Since CHD2015 isn't taking heavy pain meds he may be avoiding the brain fog that many experience just post op. Concentration is very difficult for many.

That's the part I have the most trouble with in this entire process... no one knows how they will react. It's a lot of 'plan for the worst and hope for the best'.

Congratulations on your successful return to running, Scott, and for being in our BoneSmart Spotlight! I know your story will be an inspiration to others who are just out out surgery or who are in pain and considering joint replacement surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom