THR Alexrd in recovery

LTHR date!
Just accepted 14 June date for my left hip, so finally on the verge of joining the double hippie club. Can’t wait to get through this (hopefully final) surgery and get on the recovery side to regaining my life.
I’m happy with my right hip, even if more strengthening and stretching is still needed to regain more ROM and stamina. I’m ready for the left hip and so very glad that it’s being done before I get the level of pain and reduced mobility that I endured with the right one.

Best wishes to everyone here, wherever you are on your own journey!

:yay: Well done on getting that surgery date. Not a long wait either!

You will love the feeling of having both hips done and dusted!

Congrats! It will be so nice to have the both surgeries behind you. I can’t imagine concentrating on a recovery only to have your non op hip ailing. Not long now until, Righty, has a brand new matching partner. Woohoo!
@Alexrd

Hey there...Happy Friday!
Wishing you comfort as you await Monday. Let us know how you’re doing post op once you’re resting comfortably at home. We’ll be here ready to cheer you on as you recover from your latest surgery. All the best to you! :)
@Alexrd

Will be thinking of you and looking for you again on the Healing Side!
:friends:

Hope all went well....double hippy pal.
Healing vibes coming your way:friends:

Post LTHR update:
I had a minimally invasive posterior for my left hip, as expected, from a different consultant, but at the same private hospital as last time, under the UK NHS. I’m not sure I fully understand the subtle differences between the two surgeries, but my new consultant did explain the surgical incision is considerably shorter. Might the size of the prosthetic components be smaller also, to go through a smaller incision, I wonder? My consultant said everything had gone well when he checked the post op X-ray, but I’ve not seen it yet. I’m hoping I might get to when I have my 2 week wound check, or at the proper 6 week follow up.
The only significant difference I’m noticing this time is that the immediate post op swelling was much less pronounced, and with little if any visible bruising (I bruise easily!). Pain was slightly less and I have less stiffness, and I have also retained more muscular strength to manoeuvre the leg as needed. I ditched the walker within half a day and was using the crutches and easily “graduated” physio to satisfy the hospital to discharge me on day 3 - just as with my first hip. Wether this is because my left leg was stronger than my right, with better ROM still etc. I don’t really know.
Now I’m back home I would say this initial few days generally feels slightly easier. There was no struggling to get my pain under control in hospital as there had been with my right hip and I’ve been sent home with different pain meds which are less heavy weight than I needed first time. I’m better at keeping on top of the meds and ahead of the pain, but I’m noticing that my right leg is less strong and it sometimes catches me out when manoeuvring with and without crutches, so the operated leg is probably having to do more work - I just hope this doesn’t aggravate angry tissues more and slow down the initial recovery period.
Final observation for now- bruising is beginning to show, but much less pronounced and widespread, but swelling is definitely significantly less pronounced; I just hope this remains the case.
Thanks for all your support and encouragement in this great community, and best wishes to all.
Alex

Hi @Alexrd
Great to see you on the Healing Side again.
Might the size of the prosthetic components be smaller also, to go through a smaller incision, I wonder?
No. I had anterior minimally invasive procedure and "minimally invasive" was still pretty invasive. :heehee:

The approach seeks to minimize soft tissue damage to cut down on post op trauma.
Sounds like you are already seeing some benefits.

Just please remember that though this can be helpful for short term improvements that long term recovery is the same, so don't get crazy on us.:) :-) (:
Going to leave recovery guidelines below for refresher.
Stay cool.:ice:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@AxeAndExtraFox :wave: Happy to see you on the healing side and it sounds like you're off to a great start. Definitely remember to take it slow and easy.

Congrats on your new hip! It’s good to read you’re noticing improvement with this recovery over your last. Hopefully with meds, ice and rest you’ll remain comfortably mobile as you begin the healing journey. Will be following your recovery. :wave:
Happy Saturday!
@Alexrd

Update, day 8 po:
Optimism got the better over previous experience, it seems. Bruising and swelling came on with avengeance.
Initial thigh pain spike as the bruising manifested has subsided, thankfully, and swelling is under control with ice and regular elevation, more or less. But fascinating to observe the difference in bruising pattern and progression between hip surgeries. Bruising on front of thigh, thigh/groin crease into groin & up to the top of hip. Also two distinct bruise patches on stomach where I remember being positioned against firm padding on the edge of the operating table before proceedings commenced as they put me on my side before kickoff. I’m now wondering if having a smaller incision with staples/clips will lead to a significantly different initial external wound healing experience and longer term? I guess I may get my first clue at the wound check at end of the month, when I assume the clips will be removed, if all’s well.

Still early days, but happy with progress so far.
Take care everyone!

Quick update:
Wound check at 16 days po went as well as can be expected: 13 staples/clips removed (minimal pain), wound healing nicely, significantly less bruising, swelling and obvious post op trauma to my left cheek than with my right side replacement back in November. Much more comfortable post staple removal too, so I’ll try stepping the pain meds back a wee bit tomorrow to see how I tolerate things. Saw the same physio as last time and she was very encouraging and clearly pleased that I seem to be making a much quicker and more comfortable recovery, so far. Physio doesn’t need to see me again for 3 weeks, just carry on with the basic exercises and gradually increase walking, as tolerated & cleared to start back on the stationary bike when I feel ready.
I’m very pleased, grateful and happy too, but not taking anything for granted as I’m mindful this is still very early days.
Best wishes to all!

Your last update was a good one! I hope things are even better now that it is two weeks later. It’s a special day today…Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week. Please stay in touch. :wave:
@Alexrd

Further update.
I saw my consultant earlier this week for my 6 week follow up appointment. Generally pleased with how things are progressing, as I’m mostly off the cane now and walking pretty correctly if a bit slow still. Can sometimes manage the stairs normally going down and occasionally going up, but haven’t got my leg strength back fully yet. All very early days and I’m definitely weeks & possibly months further along with this recovery than I was with my right hip replacement.
But, (why is there always a but?) the consultant and I are both not happy with a large firm (and painful) lump under the surface of the top of my incision . We’re not sure if it could be just some internal stitching not dissolving yet, or whether there could be fluid under there and if it could pose an infection risk. We agreed I’d keep a close eye on it and see my GP for possible antibiotic course to nip any potential infection in the bud. Saw a GP today (not my own GP) who spoke to hospital asking for advice on what antibiotic to prescribe.
Rather than wait for my further appointment next week with my consultant, someone will see me again this afternoon in the post op orthopaedic clinic at the hospital. Don’t know what to expect, but I’m happy they’re prepared to see me again sooner to check me over again!
I’ll give you a further update when I get back from the hospital.

Take care everyone.

All very early days and I’m definitely weeks & possibly months further along with this recovery than I was with my right hip replacement.

I‘ve only had one one hip replaced….so far, and I imagine it must feel like a blessing to have an easier recovery the second time around. Wonderful news!

It’s good to read you have another appt today to deal with the issue you described. Hopefully you get a firm diagnosis and plan of action, offering you some reassurance it will soon be resolved. Please let us know what you hear…we do care.
Happy Friday!

Back from hospital:
Well, my incision has been thoroughly inspected and prodded about by 2 nurses and the on duty surgical doctor. To my great relief they couldn’t detect anything nasty lurking beneath the very tender and hard tissue at the top of the incision. The thinking is it must just be scar tissue formed around the tied off sutures closing the incision before the staples/clips were applied on the surface. All they can suggest is to start incision scar massage with the heel of my hand as tolerated, to try to encourage my body to begin to dissolve the suture and break down the scar tissue. There’s a similar patch towards the middle of the incision which is also a bit lumpy and tender, but there’s no sign of fluid, infection. So I’ll be back to see my consultant surgeon on Wednesday to see if there’s any change. Since the remaining scabs haven’t fallen off, I’m not yet allowed to apply anything to the scar to help with the massage, as I did for my first hip replacement surgical scar which is fading nicely now at 8+ months po. No antibiotics needed, just got to be a bit more patient and keep with the programme.

All’s well, no cause for alarm. But better to be safe and sure.

Good news! :ok: Yes, better to be safe, than sorry.
Thanks for sharing…I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Alexrd

Sorry, long delayed reply. Things appeared to be going well, eventually, with the scar. Weekly checks by my consultant to check for potential infection. Think my body/tissue hates staples rather than glue (1st hip RTHR). Eventually discharged by consultant who thought there’s no infection- good news!
Now, not doing very well. Left hip progressing well enough, but right hip not at all happy. Assumed right hip was finally pulling its weight and helping out, but low key swelling, reduced ROM, definite weakness, suggest otherwise.
At 10 monthsI really don’t expect any mechanical or post op soft tissue tissue problems. But I’m very fearful that’s where things might be heading.
Waiting on simple Xray to give any clue.
Blood tests suggest no infection.
Just very scared it will now take more energy than I now have to get some proper answers. Down in the dumps and seriously questioning the competence and capacity of my basic primary care providers to provide any assistance.

I’m sorry to read your update and learn that you’re frightened and frustrated. Thankfully infection was ruled out. Hopefully the x-ray will eliminate the concerns you’ve mentioned that are troubling you. Possibly you should consider looking for health care providers you have more confidence in. It can’t be very reassuring to waste your time on appointments with medical professionals you don’t have a lot of faith in. Please keep us posted and know we’re here for you always.
Hoping you find answers and relief soon.
@Alexrd

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks