THR AKGRL123 recovery thread

I absolutely appreciate his thread. I am definitely having groin pain, deep achy annoying groin issues, well you all know. In a weird way, it is good for me to hear hat others ache or are frustrated. When I see you are only 6 weeks in I am like peshaaw you are only just beginning to heal up. Which then makes me reflect that I am only at 4 weeks yet also experience the worry, frustration etc. etc. So thanks for posting and thanks to the brilliant supportive responses.

I am always curious about why the groin? Prior to my new hip, my groin was the tip-off to arthritis. Now again with the groin. What is up??? I feel like my groin, leg wants to pull in towards my other leg and it is in this tight groin area the weirdness comes. What is this and how do we help it relax?

Oh and Merry Christmas morning lol:santa-dance::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::gaah:

Sorry to hear of your pain ... It's quite common for people to get frustrated with the recovery process right about where you are now, 6 weeks in ... Weeks 6 to 9 ... were extremely frustrating for me ...

Just a tip ... obviously you follow your own path ... but if you're feeling a lot of pain ... then it's OK to resume using a cane or a crutch ... or heck, even a walker. I didn't walk without a cane until sometime around week 9 ... Looking back, no biggie ... I got tons of exercise with the cane. Would go out and meet friends for lunch in the city ... use the cane and walk to my heart's content.

Like others have said, watch out for PT ... I didn't do PT until month 6 when I was convinced my soft tissue was ready ... PT, depending on the therapist, can be hit or miss, and there are a lot of misses early on with therapists asking patients to do movements that the soft tissue (still healing) just isn't ready for, and these movements don't necessarily speed up recovery.

You mention that you had the SuperPath approach, which along with the anterior approach, is often presented as an approach that guarantees a fast recovery. One thing you'll see if you read on this board. There is no technique that guarantees a fast recovery. No matter which approach, there is cutting, pushing, stretching, pulling, retracting, hammering, and nerves that can get aggravated. My sister had the anterior approach in September, and she really thought she was supposed to be up and walking painlessly by week 2. Nope. Her recovery was about as messy as my own. (My surgeon uses a lateral approach.)

I had in my head that at six weeks, I would feel quite normal. I didn't. It was scary. What if something is wrong? ... Hang in there. It is a process. Icing is good, take pain medication, pay attention to how much activity seems to aggravate the pain. If you have a great day of activity beyond your normal, it's OK to take the next day easy. Be careful about big jumps in activity. Gradual is the magic word

Hello @Akgrl123
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope all is well.
Please leave an update when you have time...we'd love to hear of the progress you're making.
Until then...I wish you well! :)

Although I was off the crutch/cane by week 3 and walking fairly normally (with thought and intention), I am still in quite a bit of pain. The pain is not deep bone pain but largely muscle tightness (groin, illiopsoas) and persistent sciatic nerve pain mostly burning and throbbing down my leg). My hip feels great but the other pain and tightness is definitely disheartening.

This is pretty much what happened to me at week 3, sciatic nerve. Cruising right along then bam. I have no pain sitting, doing mobility exercises, etc. Buy when I stand up I get that shooting pain down leg from hip to toes. Once I take a few steps, or balance on the operative hip leg, it's fine. Worse at night as to be expected. It's the only pain I'm having right now. So I decided to take two more weeks off from work (might have gone back to early causing the sciatic by not sitting correctly). Frustrating yes but time should take care of it. Seems like at least half the fight with a THR is mental. I'll be glad a week 6 when hopefully I'll get cleared by Dr so I can do more about the Sciatic Nerve (light stretching, etc) Till then I'm working on my posture when sitting (using a pillow also), keeping up the icing and walking. Hopefully as swelling keeps going down this will go away. Honestly thinking about taking yoga in a few months too. My ultimate physical goal is to sit cross-legged again. Funny/ridiculous I know but it's something I haven't been able to do in years . . .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom